“NADA ESSAMELDIN Great and friendly service””
Review of Hotel Berna

Hotel Berna
Ranked #12 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Sohag
“NADA ESSAMELDIN Great and friendly service””
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Great service! The room is clean and quiet. I will definitely book this hotel when I come to Milan again! It was close to the Milano Centrale train station, had very helpful and friendly (english speaking) staff. The breakfast there was beautiful and offered a wide range of options for everyone but we need information about ingredients of food contents ( written beside each item) The non-alcoholic items in the mini bar were free and free wifi!, Shower cabine is narrow .

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (730)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Great service! The room is clean and quiet. I will definitely book this hotel when I come to Milan again! Absolutely value for money!

• Stayed December 2011
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Even though we only stayed for one night, the service from the hotel Berna were superb! It was close to the Milano Centrale train station, had very helpful and friendly (english speaking) staff. The breakfast there was beautiful and offered a wide range of options for everyone. The non-alcoholic items in the mini bar were free and free wifi! the room was cosy and welcoming! and it was very well priced for a room which was booked only the day before! All in all a great experience and will stay there again if ever in Milan.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Everett, Washington
Reviewed 4 December 2011

This review is very difficult to write. Hotel Berna is well located well appointed and well priced.

The staff is nice, the lobby welcoming with many nice appointments, such as 24/7 coffee and bottled water, computers with printers. The morning breakfast and food staff are extraordinary.

Our room was spacious for European standards, the bathroom narrow, but functional, beds very nice. You can order the type of pillow (s) you want, and they stock the mini fridge with COMPLIMENTARY beverages!

Why on earth wouldn't anyone want to stay here? Like I said - it is difficult to say, but it is the truth - you can check my other reviews.

My husband was sick - the room was extraordinarily HOT about 80 degrees. We called the desk and no one knew what to do. We had the window open - turned off the heat to our room (the outside temperature was in the mid 50's. The management did send up a fan that was barely functional the first night and it did help a bit.

The next day, when we asked the main manager Pa**o, I was met with an attitude of disdain, treating me as if I was stupid. He explained that we couldn't get air-conditioning. I tried my best to be polite and agreed of course, I didn't want or expect A/C, just to cool off the room because my husband was ill. The manager continued to say it was "blocked", I don't know how to explain to you it is blocked . . . It wasn't that he couldn't explain, he wanted to try to make me look unreasonable and foolish.

The thermostat in the room was broken when we got there (pictures included), and it was beyond belief, but we kept the service staff out of the room our 2nd day - left the heat off AND the window open and it was WORSE!!!

I was frantic and stressed enough with my husband sick (probably running a fever), and didn't need or appreciate the condescending tone of Pa**o. The next morning after we settled our bill to leave he suddenly appeared again, and started up again about how (stupid implied) we are because the heat is blocked and "I CAN'T make it any simpler!!!!!" He seemed to try to mask his nasty tone with a smarmy smile as well.

The room is 406 . . . . the breakfast room was also intolerably hot. Each floor up gets hotter and hotter!! Something is wrong when a hotel overheats the entire hotel in November!

A simple - - I am so sorry - our furnace is not working . . . how can I make it more comfortable would have gone a long way, and defused the situation. The front desk also gave us 100% false information. There was a publicized metro strike. We asked about it and were told that no buses, trams, metros were working!! We walked out the door 1/2 block and EVERYTHING WAS RUNNING.

Too bad - the hotel and appointments are lovely. The hardworking regular staff are nice and friendly. Wish I could recommend, but can't. I know that I am outnumbered in the reviews (I read them thoroughly before booking) . . . but this manager was personally demeaning and had an attitude.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 406. Ask to see the room before accepting the room - if it is hot - ask for f...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aclarinet
CarloFontana-GM, General Manager at Hotel Berna, responded to this review, 15 December 2011
Dear aclarinet,

my name is Carlo Fontana and I’m the GM of the Hotel Berna, which my family has run and operated with a great pride for hospitality since 1973.

I’m really grateful for your feedback and I appreciate the time it must have taken you writing in such details: this is how we can learn and hopefully improve upon the quality of our service.

In effect, during the time of your stay, the city of Milan has experienced a very unusual and exceptional climate, reaching an unbelievable 15 degrees during the day, whereas the usual seasonal temperature is under 5 degrees. The Berna, as all other hotels in Milan, had already turned on their central heating at the beginning of November and then the warm temperatures unexpectedly returned during the time of your stay.

This means that the temperatures of some rooms were warmer than usual – mainly depending on the temperature chosen by the guests staying before – and it was really very difficult to be managed; also the opening of the window could not really help because of the warm temperature outside. For this situation, which was unfortunately out of our control, I truly apologize.

Therefore the broken thermostat was not the reason of the warm temperature in your room, as the fan coil was not working. As soon as we were informed of this issue, we came into your room in order to check the situation and immediately proposed to change into another one: this was undoubtedly the best solution, as the technical intervention was a bit time demanding and, considering the status of your husband, we didn’t want do disturb you any longer.

As you preferred not to move, the only possible solution was to open the windows and let you have a fan in the room.

I’m really sorry if you felt the attitude of our Front office Manager to be not suitable to the
circumstance and not “guest oriented”. We pride ourselves on the courtesy and friendliness of our Staff and our top priority is to make all our guests feeling welcome and appreciated from the very first moment they pass through our doors and throughout their stay. Your experience will be taken into our next general meeting.

We are indeeed happy you found our staff to be very friendly and helpful, the lobby to be welcoming; and have also appreciated the free Wifi, the free minibar and the breakfast to be extraordinary. This means a lot to us.

I hope my explanation will be viewed as an attempt to keep a strong, ongoing relationship between us. Because for me, that is top priority. I want all of our customer's experiences to be positive so that they will come back again and again.

Please accept again my personal apologies.

Best regards,

Carlo Fontana, GM & Staff
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I stayed two nights. Hotel is classed as a four-star property. Service was a highlight: efficient, friendly, welcoming and helpful. My room was a single, so small, but I expected that for ~$100 USD/night. Breakfast was definitely a cut above the usual three-star fare. Better variety and selection. Short walk from Central Station and Metro. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Singles are small, but cozy.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Siena, Italy
Reviewed 2 December 2011

The service in this hotel is remarkable. The staff is charming, smiling, does great teamwork and it's clear that they have a plan: they want you (the customer) to walk away happy so at the end of the stay you will eventually spread the word.

The rooms offer what they promise and are clean. This is something that you expect from a four star hotel and Berna will not disappoint you. But the nice fact is that you will also get small extra details that add a great value. The minibar in the room is free of charge and you also get the tools to make a hot coffee or tea. The WiFi internet is free, very fast and I didn't even have to ask for a password: it was already there, printed on my welcome card. The tv has a lot of multilanguage channels...

By booking via internet for longer periods you may have access to discounts.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Szymon S
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Milan was the last stop of our 5 city tour of Italy, and we were pretty tired out as we approached 2 weeks spent in Milan.

Getting from the Centrale train station to the hotel was easy and painless, no more than a 5 minute walk.

Upon getting to the hotel, our rooms were understandably not read (as it was just 9am). The bellboy, Joan, was helpful in keeping our luggage for us. Unfortunately, the receptionist, Giancomo, was anything but helpful. Not only did he not check us in (hence requiring me to reproduce my documents etc when I came back eventually), he also did not bother to provide us with a map of the city. When I asked if he was able to provide us with one, he merely shrugged his shoulder and said he did not have one. He also incorrectly pointed out that the nearest tourist information center was at the Duomo, when we later found one at the Centrale train station.

After our trip out in the city, we returned in the afternoon to check in, where a different receptionist attended to us. Upon completing the check in, he provided us with a complete map of the city, and we also noticed that there were maps provided in the area where brochures were provided. Go figure Mr Giancomo...perhaps your job as a receptionist would be better off offered to me.

Receptionist woes aside, the room was cosy and fitting of a four star hotel. However, the toilets were worn and cramped, and greatly diminished the experience of the room stay. That said though, the service provided in free non alcoholic mini bars, customized pillows, and reasonable room service prices helped to negate the tiny toilet.

The breakfast spread was excellent, and was definitely the highlight of the stay. The service staff in the breakfast section were also attentive, cheerful and helpful. Coupled with the warmth extended by the bellboy, I am convinced that the service problems encountered lies with the reception, or perhaps, a receptionist.

With all that said though, what could have been a good stay at Hotel Berna in Milan is now remembered by the cold reception that was offered to us.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple