“Great feel-good family hotel”
Review of Hotel Berna

Hotel Berna
Ranked #13 of 426 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We got a very good deal called "winter special" and stayed one week at the Berna in December for the holiday season. The hotel is not the newest but the charming staff, the free wireless, the free mini-bar and the excellent and ample breakfast make more than up for it. The family hotel is run - well - like a family and you feel welcome from the first minute (special "hello" to Massimiliano the greatest and friendliest barkeeper on earth). The management relies heavily on the good reputation here on tripadvisor so I feel - if you are not happy - they will do anything possible to fix the problem, if there is one... Next trip to Milan it will be again the Berna for sure!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sportytom
There are newer reviews for Hotel Berna

Reviewed 11 January 2012

The hotel was close to the train station, about a 5 minute walk. Hotel was very elegant inside. Room was very nice, not very big but most hotel rooms aren't big. Bed was comfortable. The breakfast buffet was the nicest we had our entire trip through Italy. We were there for 20 days and stayed in 6 hotels and this was the nicest and the best breakfast. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2012

This hotel is very close to the railway station, provides one of the best breakfast selections I have ever seen, and has a staff that is very helpful. The only minor downside was the narrow and inconvenient bathroom that was found in our room (306). The shower also leaked a little, but it was very minor and I'm sure that if we had contacted someone about it, it would have been fixed. Check-in and check-out was very quick, and the mini fridge contents were complimentary - a nice touch.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anton O
Reviewed 9 January 2012

The Hotel Berna owes its consistent success and popularity to its excellent staff whose level of commitment is second to none. A truly cordial welcome was accorded to us upon our earlier than expected arrival on New Year's Eve. Guests were equally treated to complimentary drinks and buffet to celebrate the arrival of 2012. Unlike some hotels, all staff were empowered to resolve issues at they might arise, so it didn't really matter whom one asked for assistance. Fantastic service at breakfast. Very convenient for railway station, yet beautifully quiet. We shall return. Grazie

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Honestopinion_10
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Comfortably set close to the main train station, this hotel is perfect whether you're staying overnight before catching a train or as a base for a holiday in Milan. Within 15-30 minutes if you take the underground you'll be at the Duomo where you can also catch the other lines of the metro. The hotel is quiet, clean, comfortable & the stuff is very helpful. Very good buffet breakfast. The only minus goes to the general environment of the neighbourhood which doesn't do this hotel any justice even though it's much better than other train station neighbourhoods in other major cities.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 January 2012

5 minutes walk from the central Milan train station.
Small clean room with good breakfast.
Good for overnight stay in transit.

Room Tip: Don't be put off with the rooms opposite the main building. They are just as nice.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I have found this hotel in August of 2006 when I booked with Expedia a last minute trip to Milano for my husband, our son and me and since then, whenever I am for business of private holiday in Milano, I book my stay there and also advice friends and collegues to try it. The staff is so friendly and helpful,no matter which kind of wish or problem you have, they work very hard for a solution which satisfies both sides - the guest and the hotel. I am not an easy guest at all, but ever I wanted to have or change, I got it and it´s always very nice to get in contact with the staff. They support wherever they can and even protect you from other problems. We had parked our rent car in front of the hotel and went to our room and we were wondering why no light was working and when I called the reception,the nice man asked:"Madam,the black car in front of the hotel is yours? If yes, please move it because this night the cleaning machine will clean the street and the police let bring every car away which makes complications for the cleaning car". I think,searching a rent car somewhere in Milano because it was brought away does not make fun at all and I am really thankful that the staff takes care. Another time my 8-year-old son went out of the room alone to gor for a walk with my husband and the dog and I stayed in the room. The staff only has seen the son giving back the room key and leaving the hotel and suddenly the lights in the room went off. The staff thought our son has gone alone and wanted to avoid that he gets lost. They really take care about everything. Such kind of service I never got in another hotel.

Room Tip: If you are single and you are tall, then better book a comfort bed because this is larger. If you wa...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business