“Helpful and friendly staff and close proximity to the Milano Centrale station”
Review of Hotel Berna

Hotel Berna
Ranked #12 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Singapore, Singapore
“Helpful and friendly staff and close proximity to the Milano Centrale station”
Reviewed 9 November 2012

This is the fourth and final stop for our two-week honeymoon in Italy. We stayed at hotel Berna for 2 nights. The hotel was within a 5 minutes walk from the Milano Centrale station, and with a map it was easy to find. It was a long walk from the hotel to the shopping areas but the metro station is very near the hotel so it wasn't a problem.

Hotel service was meticulous. Even before our trip, we had received several emails from the hotel - an account had been created for us, all we had to do was specify our requests and the hotel promptly replied via the account. A week before our trip, the email sent to us was to inform us that we can customise the room (types of (additional) pillows, blankets, etc) and to provide passport info in advance so that we can check-in sooner. A few days before we reach Milan, another email was sent giving us info about free apps regarding Milan that we can download onto our phones so that we can better navigate ourselves when we arrive. The hotel also provided info on weather forecast. And guests can help themselves to the internet terminals and do their printing at the hotel lobby and the hot coffee and tea available 24/7. Complimentary wifi was also available in the room.

Indeed, check in at the hotel was a breeze and the additional requests that we had were met. The room was adequate, air conditioning was working well and the room clean enough. The main problem we had was with the mosquitoes in the room. We tried to ignore them but it appeared to be a rife problem given the various blood stains from dead mosquitoes on the walls, left behind by previous guests. I'm prone to mosquito stings and on the first night we requested for help with the mosquitoes, only to have the bellboy appeared with an insecticide in hand. We didn't want to sleep in a room choked with insecticide smell and having an oily stain on our stuff so we called the reception again. This time the bellboy brought us an electric mosquito repellent. The first night was spent comfortably in bed but the second night the mosquitoes stung us on the face while we slept. Being a light sleeper, I woke up scratching my face and found my right side stung.

Breakfast was quite a spread and we enjoyed it. The staff was busy - I couldn't find the coffee but a waitress approached me and asked if I would like a coffee. We were then presented with two cups of cappuccino which we enjoyed. Unfortunately we had to leave early for Malpensa airport the next morning and so couldn't have breakfast at the breakfast room. But the reception arranged two breakfast boxes for us to take away (which we had them brought up to the room for us). The breakfast boxes were really more snacks than breakfast but it was better than not having anything.

The presence of mosquitoes in the room spoiled my stay otherwise the stay would have been enjoyable. Although the reception answered our call for assistance quickly enough, we would have appreciated it if we could have switched a room (on retrospect, given that the electric insect repellent hasn't worked). For the somewhat high price that we have paid for a stay at this hotel, the friendly and warm service was kind of expected although it was still very much appreciated. If we were to revisit Milan, I may consider staying at this hotel provided that the mosquito issue was taken care of (together with the blood stains on the walls).

1 Thank P_chan2012
Customerrelationship, General Manager at Hotel Berna, responded to this review, 10 November 2012
Dear P_chan2012,

thanks a lot for you nice feedback.

We are really glad to read that the stay at the Hotel Berna generally met all your expectations and that you would consider to stay with us again.

I’m really sorry instead to read that the quality of your sleep for the second night was affected by the mosquitoes.

Please know that this situation was unfortunately out of our control, as Milan has experienced a very unsual very warm climate during the week of your stay (the warmest in the last 20 years), with temperatures reaching at night 8 degrees and during the day almost 15/20. And the consequence of this unpredictable weather and climate was the return of the mosquitos.

We had the same situation in our houses and the only way to defend us was using body sprays or other similar products. Also the Town Hall was not prepared to this sudden event and was not ready to realize any operations of prevention or pest control.

This unpleasant issue a part, for which I truly apologise, I’m glad to read that your overall stay was wonderful.

Thanks again for choosing us and hope to welcome you back very soon.

Best regards,

Carlo Fontana, GM & Staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Karlskrona, Sweden
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I and my wife had a wonderful 4-day stay in hotel Berna. The things we appreciated most where, Hospitality on all staff members especially Jacqueline, Breakfast, Silent room, Perfect beds and bathroom.

We flew from Malpensa and took the bus shuttle to central station and after that just a 5 minutes walk to hotel Berna. November 2012.

Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 7 November 2012

This hotel has a new annex and an older hotel building. I was placed in the older building. The rooms have been tastefully remodeled. The hallways have not all been renovated. The service was great and caring. They tried to get me moved to another room due to a strong reaction I had to the hallway and room smell. I am not typically overly sensitive to odors but; the smells made me very ill. Unfortunately, the available room was on the same floor. I was impressed that they tried to moved me. Another issue was the heat. Apparently, you cannot individually control the room heat and it was set too high in my opinion. You can open a window but; I did not feel safe leaving it open as there is a metal staircase right outside of the windows. The neighborhood did not feel safe. This hotel has great service and nicely furnished rooms however; I was really shocked that this hotel had a four star rating. Nice hotel for a good price however; not the luxury of a four star hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in the new annex building. I was told that they did not have an annex building.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I stayed at AC hotel for 3 nights then switch to the beautiful lake Como for 2 nights. Then went back to Milan. My first impression about Berna was ' mmm how such a classic hotel..however when I saw my room, I was speechless..the hallway was small..the room was small..the bathroom was small..there was no view..anyway..I will not stay at Berna next time..

• Stayed November 2012
Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Berna in May 2012 and loved it. The staff were very friendly and our room was very comfortable. The location is central to everything including walking distance to the main station. One of the highlights was breakfast...it was huge and heaps of variety. Their is plenty of choice for restaurants near by and we would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I booked on the basis of other Tripadvisors. All I can say is totally worth it.
Great staff from desk to bar to everyone. Its like they take a happy pill and totally make you feel welcome. Location is easily accessible to metro, tram lines and Centrale FS a few hundred metres away. The Hopon-Hopoff tour likewise stops at Centralle FS which has 48hr tickets so straight out from late breakfast til 11am on to all the sightseeing. Anniversary celebration for us and concierge desk set us up with lovely restaurants to suit our style.
More like a comfy pair of favourite shoes rather than latest footwear, my wife and I felt totally at home every step of the way!
Look forward to coming back.

Room Tip: Our room was on ground floor. Was spacious and quiet
Reviewed 6 November 2012

What a great place to start my 6 week Italian adventure, room amazing, tea & coffee in room. The breakfast has set a high standard and after 5 weeks have not yet matched it and have stayed in a lot more expensive hotel. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel:))))

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo