“Highly rated, excetionnal service, great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Berna

Hotel Berna
Ranked #14 of 430 Hotels in Milan
Milan, Italy
“Highly rated, excetionnal service, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

The customer services at hotel Berna is 10/10. They gave great reopmmendations for restaurants. The hotel is 5 min walk from the main station. The price was perfect.
We had a great time at the hotel and got lots of useful information from John and other staff.
I had an incendent with the bathroom room which they fixed promptly.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

This hotel is just a baume for a soul of a traveller. The sensation of wellbeing that all the little detail of the hotel creat is beyond of all the expectations. Very clean hotel, very welcoming staff (are really hapy to see you and really willing to help in any manner). The room is fantastic, the beds and linens are great that makes you want to stay in bed all the morning. We were in december it was warm in the room and the room is so quiet. Free cofee and cookies at the reception and in the room. Position is opposite to the railway station, the block is clean and safe.This hotel has something more then a 4 stars, it has a soul.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

Excellent confortable hotel, well placed for the main railway station, buses and tram routes. Definitely the best hotel I've used in Milan. I like the comlimentary pre-dinner snacks in the bar in the evening. I know it's a common thing in Italy but the staff here make you feel very comfortable about helping yourself. I'll be going back next year.

Room Tip: There's an annex across the road. Not sure that I would want to be out of the main building.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

Why did I choose Hotel Berna?
1) It was close to the station
2) It was affordable
3) Many reviews stated that it had excellent service

Unfortunately, after staying there for a few nights, I realised that Hotel Berna is surrounded by many other hotels anyway, and most of which are affordable. Hence, its service has to be exceptional to make this hotel a top-choice for travellers. I do not have high standards when it comes to service, which makes it even more surprising how this hotel could fare so badly.

If you want a really detailed account of why its service gets a thumbs down from me, please read on.

When I first entered the hotel, the front desk staff took down my details. Among the forms filled, was a form which sought approval to send my personal information to third-party companies. When I politely declined, the demeanour of the staff changed. His smile was gone and he simply pointed at the next form for me to sign. When he found out that I had got lost on my way to the hotel, he demanded, “Didn’t you read the email? We sent you one which explained how to get to the hotel.” When I admitted that I didn’t read it, he snapped, “You see? We tried to help you!”

Then came the problem with the room itself. The door was very difficult to open. Let me put it this way, it was impossible for me to open it no matter how or what I tried. It got to the point where there were visible angry red marks on my fingers. I went down to the reception desk, but oh no, it was the passive-aggressive Brazillian man again. When I asked him for help, he simply said, “Oh you must try to pull and twist the key!” or something like that, which I had already tried. But his demeanour made it perfectly plain that he wasn’t going to help any further, so I returned to the room and tried to open it once more. As expected, it failed.

In a steadily worsening mood, I headed back down to the reception, and he was helping two guests to check in. He wasn’t polite enough to spare one second to ask for another staff to help me with the room, or to even ask me to wait for a moment. Let me just state that when I am the one at the counter, he has absolutely no qualms about turning away from me so he can attend to other guests who are next in line. Finally, it was an Asian staff member who was busy with the cleaning who actually took the initiative to ask if there was something wrong and whether he could help with the problem. What on earth is your front desk doing? As it turned out, the keyhole needed oiling before I could successfully open the door.

The same front desk staff neglected to inform me that the key had to be left at the hotel, until I returned to the hotel later that day, whereupon he called me over and said bluntly, "You have to leave the key here when you go out, Madam. It’s for your own safety.” Uh....so if I happened to take the key with me and lost it, you’re going to club me to death with a file?

To be honest, even retrieving the key from the front desk daily was disheartening to me, because the evening staff seemed to alternate between the passive-aggressive man with the fake smile and the other staff member with a perpetually grim look on his face who would take or return your key in stony silence.

The breakfast had a good spread and was delicious. I did like their coffee but you have to remind them to bring it to you even after they take your order, because they forgot about mine twice, until I reminded them once more and finally got a lukewarm cup of it. Nevertheless, once the waitress realised that they had forgotten about it, she was instantly apologetic and ensured that the coffee was brought promptly to the table, and made sure that the same mistake did not occur again on the next morning. Hence, I'd give another star to this hotel for the good breakfast and breakfast service.

The room itself was serviceable. The room size was average for a European hotel. The free drinks and snack was a nice bonus and I did like the bathroom. So I thought, well, at least, the room has no problems. And then for some strange reason, the shower cap vanished on the second day even though I had left it near the sink. Instead, an empty box which the shower cap was usually found was neatly tucked back into its original place. Um...why would you throw away the shower cap and leave an empty box in its place? It baffles me.

There was one day, however, where it was an elderly gentleman who happened to be at the front desk. Just from the way he smiled and the genuinely polite manner in which he conducted himself, made me think that perhaps 90% of the good reviews which came from TA about this hotel were about him in particular. There was other staff member, Stefano, if I do not recall wrongly, who was also very pleasant. He was able to help me out and he did so with a smile, putting me at my ease.

Ultimately, the bad points about this hotel outweigh the good. If, like me, you have travelled for a long time and are far away from home, looking for a place where you could feel at home, this is definitely not it. I did not feel comfortable at all in this hotel. There is close to nothing in the hotel's immediate vicinity aside from a multitude of other hotels so you are spoilt for choice if all you’re looking for is an affordable hotel close to the station.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Shira K
Customerrelationship, General Manager at Hotel Berna, responded to this review, 21 December 2012
Dear Shira K,

We welcome all feedbacks, positive or negative, as we feel we can really learn and hopefully improve upon the quality of our services, especially when they come from an experienced guest as you certainly are.

I’m absolutely sorry to know – and apologize - that you were not fully satisfied our services, feeling the attitude of our Staff – at least of the one who took care of your check-in - to be not friendly and suitable to the circumstances.

It’s important to say that we will never ask our guests the authorization to send their personal information to “third party companies”, as we highly respect their privacy and the request of authorization is intended only to send you our satisfaction form survey and newsletter.

Hence I’m afraid your experience has been totally affected from this initial circumstance and misunderstanding.

We try really hard to make our guests feeling welcome and appreciated from the very first moment they pass through our doors. Our Staff are always on hand to assist our guests in any way possible. We know we are not perfect and that there are areas where we can always improve, especially when the counter is under pressure, and it seems the majority of our guests appreciate our customer service.

I’m really sorry this was not your experience and your comment will be taken into our next general meeting in order to further improve the quality of our hospitality.

Your feedback is important to us and I hope you will give us another chance to show you how important you are.

You are a valued guest.

Best regards,

Carlo Fontana, GM & Staff
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

This hotel is so easy to get to from central railway station just 5 min walk. The hotel room was very comfortable with a mini bar full of water and soft drinks included, along with wifi and the best buffet breakfast i had in a long time. The service of all the staff was outstanding, the front desk staff use your name each time and take the time to ask about your day which is nice. The breakfast staff are very cheerful and happy to make any sort of coffee that you want. Each night the bar has tasty bar treats that are available to guest when you order a drink. Overall a wonderful stay and since returning home have received an email from the hotel thanking me for staying with them and a discount on future stays. This hotel knows how to treat it's visitors well.

Room Tip: I had a room right on the main road no noise when shutters down.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

We were aware when booking this hotel that our family of four would be accommodated in two rooms. However, having made that booking several months before our stay, it was somewhat disappointing not to be given adjoining rooms. That said, at the least our rooms were on the same floor. We received very efficient and friendly service when checking in. The rooms were clean and quite comfortable, though generally the hotel furnishings are rather dated. Hotel Berna offers a very generous complimentary minibar and (blessed relief!) tea & coffee making facilities in the rooms, of which we made good use. The beds were quite comfortable and the bathrooms clean. However, the walls are paper thin to the point of being able to hear from one of our rooms, both sides of the neighbouring occupant's phone conversations, exactly what he was watching on TV and, most disconcertingly, his ablutions. We were on an early train the next morning so did not avail ourselves of the breakfast offerings. The hotel is very conveniently located to Central Station (the reason we chose it) but is a fair walk from the city centre. Its location and the standard of its customer service are Hotel Berna's strong points. We were very grateful for the hotel's responsiveness to our subsequent request that they search our rooms for an electronic device that may have been left behind inadvertently.

1 Thank GBM2016
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

Just back from a few days stay at the Hotel Berna. I have stayed in many hotels over the years and this has been the best by far.

This hotel is 5 minutes walk from Central Station and easy to find, even for someone like me who has no sense of direction.

It is not overly luxurious but what made this hotel such a pleasure to stay in was the brilliant staff they have here!! On arrival at the hotel, we were pleasantly greeted, check in was swift and efficient and the young man on reception helpfully offered us lots of information about the local area, things to do, maps etc. He also provided a wifi code to to use for the duration of the stay - no need to get a new code or log in every time you wanted to use it - brilliant! Other hotels, please take note!!

The elevators were very cramped but we were only on the 2nd floor so taking the stairs was not a problem. The room was very clean and comfortable, bathroom well stocked and the mini bar was refilled with complimentary soft drinks on a daily basis. There is a very comfortable coffee lounge on the ground floor with complimentary coffee, tea and biscuits.

The dining room for breakfast was very small for the size of this hotel but we were always seated immediately and it never seemed chaotic. Beautiful array of food to choose from every day - frittata, lots of fresh fruits, different varieties of croissants, breads, eggs, bacon, cheese, cold meats, cereals, fruit juices....fresh coffee made to order. The waiting staff were very friendly and efficient without being intrusive.

The star of this hotel is Mas (sorry if I spell your name wrong!) who worked in the hotel bar. Nothing was too much trouble and when I asked something he didn't understand, he went and found someone who did rather than just shrug it off. Very friendly, always smiling and recommended a fantastic local restaurant. Wish I had asked him on the first day for recommendations!

I didn't particularly like Milan - I found people (outwith the hotel) on the whole to be rude and surly and if I was in this area again, I would definitely be booking this hotel again.