“Exceptional hotel with attention to detail”
Review of Hotel Berna

Hotel Berna
Ranked #12 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Buckinghamshire
“Exceptional hotel with attention to detail”
Reviewed 26 December 2012

This was the best of three hotels during a week in northern Italy.

There appeared to be a continuous improvement attitude to getting the details right at every stage. I responded to an email two days before check-in inviting guests to specify preferences for things like the type of pillow/ duvet and room temperature on arrival. All staff from check-in at front desk, porters, cleaners and restaurant staff were sincerely friendly, professional, courteous, efficient and going the extra mile whenever they could. We appreciated the complimentary soft drinks/water and tea/coffee facilities in the room which we didn’t find at other hotels. The Wifi signal was excellent at all times; we found the signal to be poor or non-existent in other hotels. Breakfast was excellent.

Our room was in the building across the road which was not a problem for us. As stated by previous TA reviewers the location was “perfetto” (excuse the Italian) giving easy access to all the key sites via metro. We were recommended a nearby restaurant (Settembrini) for our first night’s dinner which turned out to be excellent. All in all, an exceptional hotel and highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Truebrit57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (730)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
Reviewed 24 December 2012

We absolutely loved staying in this hotel. Even though it's not so small, it felt like a boutique hotel. From the moment you enter, you are greeted with a warm smile and you feel very welcomed. Our room was spotless and very comfortable. The breakfast selection was huge and delicious, easily one of the best we've encountered and staff circulate to make sure all your needs are looked after. Location-wise, it's great, just a short walk from the train station. We truly can't recommend this hotel highly enough and have since sent others to stay there.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor. The lift is small, so easy to walk down and even up if necessary.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
vancouver
Reviewed 23 December 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3nights, it was the best money I have ever spent on a hotel. Prior to my arrival you have the option of customizing your stay from the types of pillows, bedding, and drinks you would like to have during your stay in Milano. On my arrival I was warmly greeted by the staff at the front desk, where they informed me that my room was upgraded to standard plus free of charge. I was assisted with my lugguage and escorted to my room by a staff member.The standard plus room was beautiful and newly renovated for a more modern feel! Instead of chocolates I recieved a package of cookies on my pillow and there is a free rubber duck they invite you to take home as a momento. The rooms are very quiet and I had a great night sleep. The breakfast is served on the main level and it has an array of breakfast and brunch items. The breakfast staff were friendly and very curteous. The staff will bring you a hot cappacino at your request which is delicious, the hot chocoloate is like drinking from a chocolate fountain it is so silky and warm. All the food items were divine!!

Rooms are clean, staff are warm and very helpful, and the hotel is a 5min walk from Milano Central train/bus station. There are plenty of local restaurants to choose from for lunch and dinner.

Would I stay here again....absolutely!!!

Room Tip: Take the standard plus the rooms are newly renovated and away from the elevator is the best. It woul...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 23 December 2012

The customer services at hotel Berna is 10/10. They gave great reopmmendations for restaurants. The hotel is 5 min walk from the main station. The price was perfect.
We had a great time at the hotel and got lots of useful information from John and other staff.
I had an incendent with the bathroom room which they fixed promptly.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 21 December 2012

This hotel is just a baume for a soul of a traveller. The sensation of wellbeing that all the little detail of the hotel creat is beyond of all the expectations. Very clean hotel, very welcoming staff (are really hapy to see you and really willing to help in any manner). The room is fantastic, the beds and linens are great that makes you want to stay in bed all the morning. We were in december it was warm in the room and the room is so quiet. Free cofee and cookies at the reception and in the room. Position is opposite to the railway station, the block is clean and safe.This hotel has something more then a 4 stars, it has a soul.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Excellent confortable hotel, well placed for the main railway station, buses and tram routes. Definitely the best hotel I've used in Milan. I like the comlimentary pre-dinner snacks in the bar in the evening. I know it's a common thing in Italy but the staff here make you feel very comfortable about helping yourself. I'll be going back next year.

Room Tip: There's an annex across the road. Not sure that I would want to be out of the main building.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Singapore
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Why did I choose Hotel Berna?
1) It was close to the station
2) It was affordable
3) Many reviews stated that it had excellent service

Unfortunately, after staying there for a few nights, I realised that Hotel Berna is surrounded by many other hotels anyway, and most of which are affordable. Hence, its service has to be exceptional to make this hotel a top-choice for travellers. I do not have high standards when it comes to service, which makes it even more surprising how this hotel could fare so badly.

If you want a really detailed account of why its service gets a thumbs down from me, please read on.

When I first entered the hotel, the front desk staff took down my details. Among the forms filled, was a form which sought approval to send my personal information to third-party companies. When I politely declined, the demeanour of the staff changed. His smile was gone and he simply pointed at the next form for me to sign. When he found out that I had got lost on my way to the hotel, he demanded, “Didn’t you read the email? We sent you one which explained how to get to the hotel.” When I admitted that I didn’t read it, he snapped, “You see? We tried to help you!”

Then came the problem with the room itself. The door was very difficult to open. Let me put it this way, it was impossible for me to open it no matter how or what I tried. It got to the point where there were visible angry red marks on my fingers. I went down to the reception desk, but oh no, it was the passive-aggressive Brazillian man again. When I asked him for help, he simply said, “Oh you must try to pull and twist the key!” or something like that, which I had already tried. But his demeanour made it perfectly plain that he wasn’t going to help any further, so I returned to the room and tried to open it once more. As expected, it failed.

In a steadily worsening mood, I headed back down to the reception, and he was helping two guests to check in. He wasn’t polite enough to spare one second to ask for another staff to help me with the room, or to even ask me to wait for a moment. Let me just state that when I am the one at the counter, he has absolutely no qualms about turning away from me so he can attend to other guests who are next in line. Finally, it was an Asian staff member who was busy with the cleaning who actually took the initiative to ask if there was something wrong and whether he could help with the problem. What on earth is your front desk doing? As it turned out, the keyhole needed oiling before I could successfully open the door.

The same front desk staff neglected to inform me that the key had to be left at the hotel, until I returned to the hotel later that day, whereupon he called me over and said bluntly, "You have to leave the key here when you go out, Madam. It’s for your own safety.” Uh....so if I happened to take the key with me and lost it, you’re going to club me to death with a file?

To be honest, even retrieving the key from the front desk daily was disheartening to me, because the evening staff seemed to alternate between the passive-aggressive man with the fake smile and the other staff member with a perpetually grim look on his face who would take or return your key in stony silence.

The breakfast had a good spread and was delicious. I did like their coffee but you have to remind them to bring it to you even after they take your order, because they forgot about mine twice, until I reminded them once more and finally got a lukewarm cup of it. Nevertheless, once the waitress realised that they had forgotten about it, she was instantly apologetic and ensured that the coffee was brought promptly to the table, and made sure that the same mistake did not occur again on the next morning. Hence, I'd give another star to this hotel for the good breakfast and breakfast service.

The room itself was serviceable. The room size was average for a European hotel. The free drinks and snack was a nice bonus and I did like the bathroom. So I thought, well, at least, the room has no problems. And then for some strange reason, the shower cap vanished on the second day even though I had left it near the sink. Instead, an empty box which the shower cap was usually found was neatly tucked back into its original place. Um...why would you throw away the shower cap and leave an empty box in its place? It baffles me.

There was one day, however, where it was an elderly gentleman who happened to be at the front desk. Just from the way he smiled and the genuinely polite manner in which he conducted himself, made me think that perhaps 90% of the good reviews which came from TA about this hotel were about him in particular. There was other staff member, Stefano, if I do not recall wrongly, who was also very pleasant. He was able to help me out and he did so with a smile, putting me at my ease.

Ultimately, the bad points about this hotel outweigh the good. If, like me, you have travelled for a long time and are far away from home, looking for a place where you could feel at home, this is definitely not it. I did not feel comfortable at all in this hotel. There is close to nothing in the hotel's immediate vicinity aside from a multitude of other hotels so you are spoilt for choice if all you’re looking for is an affordable hotel close to the station.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Shira K
Customerrelationship, General Manager at Hotel Berna, responded to this review, 21 December 2012
Dear Shira K,

We welcome all feedbacks, positive or negative, as we feel we can really learn and hopefully improve upon the quality of our services, especially when they come from an experienced guest as you certainly are.

I’m absolutely sorry to know – and apologize - that you were not fully satisfied our services, feeling the attitude of our Staff – at least of the one who took care of your check-in - to be not friendly and suitable to the circumstances.

It’s important to say that we will never ask our guests the authorization to send their personal information to “third party companies”, as we highly respect their privacy and the request of authorization is intended only to send you our satisfaction form survey and newsletter.

Hence I’m afraid your experience has been totally affected from this initial circumstance and misunderstanding.

We try really hard to make our guests feeling welcome and appreciated from the very first moment they pass through our doors. Our Staff are always on hand to assist our guests in any way possible. We know we are not perfect and that there are areas where we can always improve, especially when the counter is under pressure, and it seems the majority of our guests appreciate our customer service.

I’m really sorry this was not your experience and your comment will be taken into our next general meeting in order to further improve the quality of our hospitality.

Your feedback is important to us and I hope you will give us another chance to show you how important you are.

You are a valued guest.