“Would have given excellent rating if it weren't some insects in the room”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Berna

Hotel Berna
Ranked #15 of 431 Hotels in Milan
Oulu, Finland
“Would have given excellent rating if it weren't some insects in the room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Hotel Berna was my choose for accommodation in Milan as it had so high ratings in Tripadvisor and the location was very nice near the Milano Centrale railway station. There are metro and airport bus stops within couple of minutes walking distance from the hotel.

Let's start with all the positive things. The hotel is very nice inside, starting with the lobby, small bar area and reading room where are newspapers and complimentary coffee/tea available. There are also computers with internet access and printer in the lobby for guests to use. Free Wi-Fi seemed to work extremely well all over the hotel. The rooms are well furnished and there is free soft drinks and water bottles in minibar. The staff speaks good english and they are very friendly with excellent customer service attitude. And the breakfast is as good as everyone has praised here.

My first room was in the second floor and it wasn't refurbished yet but anyway it looked liked quite clean. I was satisfied with everything until I noticed that I started to get bite marks to my body and arms during the night. On third day I contacted the reception downstairs and showed the bite marks to them. I was worried that there might be bed bugs on my room but they said that it's mosquitoes (even though it was december). I can see that there is another review here (written July 30, 2013) which mentions also the problem with insect bites so it has happened to someone else as well. However, the way how hotel management and staff handled the situation was professional. After seeing my bite marks, they immediately said that I can get a new room for the last night. They upgraded me to much better room and there was some complimentary chocolate bar on the bed. On my last morning, I didn't notice any new bite marks so getting a new room solved problem. When checking out, the receptionist said that they had inspected my first room but were not able to find any traces of bed bugs or other insects.

So basicly I can recommend this hotel but I would suggest that you ask for a refurbished room in higher floors.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room or pay a bit more to make sure you get one. And always contact the staff...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Customerrelationship, General Manager at Hotel Berna, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Jouni K,

My name is Carlo Fontana and I am the GM of the Hotel Berna, which my family has run and operated with a great pride for hospitality since 1973.

I’m very grateful for your nice comment and that you were so satisfied with our services. We really try hard to make sure that the stays of all our guests are as pleasant as possible, and I will certainly pass your praises to the staff.

However, I was a bit concerned to read about the insect bites occurred during your first night. Following your feedback, the Housekeeping Manager had immediately carried out a thorough control and confirmed that no insects were found, eventhough I must say that there were still some mosquitoes in December in Milan.

We are in fact really proud of the quality of our cleaning procedures and the high standard achieved, which are also considered by our guests to be one of our points of strength. It’s fair to say that part of our standard procedures include also a bed bugs control. These insects – which are not considered to be dangerous for humans because they do not spread desease by their bites, as instead insects like mosquitoes may do – are in fact commonly transported, and consequently introduced in public and private places, by travellers with their luggage or clothes on trains, airplanes, taxi, theatres, clothing stores, shuttle buses and other places with crowds.

Their presence is therefore not related to the quality of cleanliness and most of the most prestigious hotels worldwide have decided to introduce in their cleaning standard procedures an additional control, which is already in place at the Hotel Berna.

I truly appreciate the fact that you immediately informed us about this issue, thus giving us the possibility to act immediately and exclude a bugs presence.

We are so glad to read that, a part this issue, the quality of your stay was very pleasant and that you would recommend us. Your satisfaction means really a lot to us!

You are a valued guest.

Please come back and stay with us again and again.

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Having lived in Milan a few years ago, it was strange for me to be there as a tourist and to stay in hotel. However I was really looking forward to returning there with my mother and I really wanted my mother to see why Milan was so special to me.
When it came to deciding on which area to stay in, I wanted a nice hotel near the main train station (Centrale). Milan is huge and well connected but being by the train station meant that we were within easy walking distance of the airport shuttle, the metro, and the main shopping street (Corso Buenos Aires). The Berna is gorgeous. The rooms are spotlessly clean and I loved that you could customise your room (temperature, blankets and pillows) prior to arrival. The breakfast was exquisite. There was everything that you could imagine and truly filled for the day. It is miles ahead of other hotels that I have stayed in. While we went slightly over our budget booking this hotel, it truly gave us the wow factor and was worth every cent! The staff were very attentive and helpful. I will be returning to Milan again and regarding my hotel choice, the Berna will be at the top of my list.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank eimzom
Saint Julian's, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

An extremely well run hotel, the staff working excellently as a team. Always keen to offer their help with anything asked of them. The breakfast buffet was superb and catered for most tastes. Also liked the wifi arrangements,so often this can be a disappointment when staying at hotels. Wifi is an important feature these days and this was a no fuss facility With free use, very good download speed.

Overall well done Hotel Berna.

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

We picked the Hotel Berna for an overnight before catching an early morning train to the airport, and so we were looking for something close to the train station, and not much more. Well, we certainly were pleasantly surprised. Everything, from the attractive lobby and welcome at the front desk to the room itself, was wonderful. Lots of thought has gone into making the guests' stay here a pleasant one, and we thoroughly enjoyed this. The room was very comfortable, the bathroom was immaculate, and there were fun extras, such as the free soft drinks in the mini bar and the rubber ducky there to greet us in the bath. Leaving early, we missed the much-praised breakfast, but there was a tray of excellent brioches and a pot of coffee out in the lobby for early departures. Next time, we'll stay longer!

1 Thank mjmack08
Thun, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Very friendly staff, nice room in the tower on the other side of the road. Excellent (free) wireless internet connection which allows also VPN, free minibar with softdrinks, cookies and fruit juice. I can really recommend this hotel, particularly if you want to be close to the railway station.
The only slight criticism: the regulator for the room temparature did not allow to set a room temperature below 22°C. I had to switch off the heating (but this was possible).
Very good buffet for breakfast!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dieter W
Ratingen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

it was my third stay in Hotel Berna and I would choose it again. I already recommendet it to friends and collegues,
The staff is very friendly and the hotel is very well located, perfect to visit Milan

Room Tip: we got a free upgrade and the room was excellent
Larnaka City, Cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

We only stayed for one night at the Hotel Berna before catching the train to Bolgna. We really wished we could have stayed there longer. From the moment I booked this hotel, I knew I made the right choice. As soon as we arrived we were greeted by an utterly professional and polite member of staff who told us that we were upgraded to a larger room. The modernly decorated room was spotlessly and freshly clean. The novelty rubber duck in the bathroom's sink, was a pleasant surprise which made us smile. The breakfast in the morning was superb. The hotel's location couldn't be more convenient, just across the Central train station. When we visit Milan next time we shall definitely stay at the Hotel Berna . Many thanks to all the extra special members of staff!

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was on the fourth flour and it was extremely quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family