“A non smoking hotel and close to Centrale Station and Cafe Tuyo”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Berna

Hotel Berna
Ranked #14 of 431 Hotels in Milan
Sydney, Australia
“A non smoking hotel and close to Centrale Station and Cafe Tuyo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Like many other reviewers we selected Hotel Berna because of its walking distance from the railway staiton, as we were coming by train from Venice. The area is awash with hotels. It was quite a dreary 25 minute walk to the Duomo, maybe on a weekday, there would be more activity en route, but on the weekend it was dull. True the metro is close, but walking in a city is always preferable.

We had booked through Hotel Club. We normally prefer to book direct with the hotel, but a positive from a booking site is the reminder several days prior to the booking together with a map.

Our welcome at the hotel was friendly and warm. We were allocated a room in a building on the other side of the road rather than the hotel itself and were told we were being upgraded from our "comfort" booking to "superior" booking.

Our room was absolutely fine. Openable windows, a fridge and a jug so we could make a cup of tea - quite unusual in Europe. All the drinks in the fridge were complimentary.

Another very positive feedback about Hotel Berna - they are 100% NON SMOKING. WONDERFUL. Thank you Hotel Berna.

We didn't avail ourselves of the Hotel Berna breakfasts, possibly our loss judging by the more recent reviews on Trip Advisor, but we were totally over indifferent coffee and chose to go to the cafe on the station side of our building, which served excellent Flat White equivalent coffee.

Wifi was included in the tariff and was fast and reliable. Again thank you Hotel Berna. Some hotel wifi connections are seriously sluggish.

A bonus for us was discovering Cafe Tuyo on the corner on the same side as the main hotel building. See my separate review. Unfortunately not open on Sunday..

Another bonus was a small Alimentari on the station side of our building. They sold very reasonably priced wine and were open on Sunday.

Room Tip: We were upgraded from a "comfort" room to a "superior" room on the opposite sid...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Blyth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I was very impressed indeed by this hotel. The staff go out of their way to be helpful, the room was immaculate, fantastic choice for breakfast and it is perfectly situated by the metro station for getting around. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JanetBlyth
Ventura, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

The Hotel Berna was the perfect place for my wife and I. We had a one-night layover in Milan and needed a hotel close to Milano Centrale. This hotel not only fit our geographical needs, but exceeded our expectations on all other fronts. The staff was fantastic, the rooms were clean/inviting/comfortable, the breakfast was remarkable (So many choices. It was a great spread), and the wifi was quick. I'd be happy to stay there again. Great place!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jabdog
Hollywood, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Hotel Berna in Milan, because it is very close to the
Centrale Rail Station and is the
sister hotel to the Lugano Dante. This hotel is perfect if you want to be near the train station, and the buffet breakfast is superb.
Maria, who works in the bar as well as in the breakfast room, is the most helpful, kind, sweet, and adorable staff member a hotel could have.
Would recommend it.......

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jill F
Wiltshire uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

What can we say, having stayed at hotels all over the world, this has been one of the best.
The staff are just fantastic, friendly and nothing is to much trouble.
Fab rooms and the extras that can be preordered just made our stay even better.
Breakfast yummy plenty of choice.
Thank you.
We will return.

2 Thank Hillary M
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We picked this hotel because it so close to Centrale station and based on other reviews. The room was lovely, service excellent, breakfast was great and it was excellent value. Everything is walkable from the hotel; 20 mins to the Duomo. I would highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank SarahLB9
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I spent four nights at HoteI Berna beginning May 16th. It is hard to describe the Hotel Berna experience to someone who has never been there. You can read all the fantastic reviews on TripAdvisor and yet still not have a complete understanding of the exceptional service that you will receive once you arrive.

Your Hotel Berna experience begins even before you arrive. Shortly after making your reservation they contact you via email to go to a personal page they have created for you to customized your room by selecting:
• The desired temperature of the room
• Type of pillows
• Type of toilet paper
• Complimentary non-alcoholic drinks to be placed in the in room refrigerator and many more items (They refill the items you consume throughout your stay)

These were all free. They also have other items available to be selected for a fee.

My birthday came prior to my arrival. I was pleasantly surprised to get an email from Hotel Berna on my birthday. This was special because I had not even stayed at the hotel yet.

The hotel is located about a 5 minute walk from the Milano Centrale train station. This allows easy access to all the points of interest with most only one or two subway stops away. My wife and I used the subway a lot. We were out as late a midnight and always felt very safe.

Upon arrival I was greeted by the front desk staff. They asked me if I needed maps of the area and gave me my Milano Card which allowed me to get discounts at various stores and my 48 hour subway pass, both of which were included in the package I bought with them.

When I got to my room it was large enough for us to sit our luggage out and still move around. The room (402) was by the elevator but we did not have any issues with noise. The room had a view of the street from the window. They provide an in room safe. The high ceiling made the room seem bigger. The bathroom was updated and spotless. The shower was small, but it was big enough to suffice and similar in size to showers at other European hotels I have stayed in. The bathroom door was a patterned sliding glass door that looked really nice. There was a welcome note from the housekeeping staff with my housekeeper listed by name. My housekeeper was Lucia. She kept the room spotless and left an occasional note throughout my stay assuring me that she was available to address any issues or provide any additional service I needed.

The front desk staff was friendly and well informed as it relates to getting around and places to go. As is the standard at Hotel Berna, they were always looking for opportunities to help.

The breakfast was fantastic. There was something there for everyone whether you wanted a typical Italian breakfast or more of an American breakfast. They had about 4 different types of croissants, and various hot and cold meats. They had various fresh fruit. They had multiple juices and even had a machine where you could make your own fresh carrot juice. My wife likes ice with her water and cream in her hot chocolate. After the first day she made this request, Rafi remembered and brought them to the table without having to asked. Throughout our stay Rafi exemplified what service is about. He remembered and anticipated our needs and then met them. Rafi was fantastic!!!!!

In summary on a scale of 1 to 10, I give Hotel Berna a 20!!! You must experience a stay here to truly understand and appreciate what makes Hotel Berna so special.

2 Thank Sly1960