“Stopover in Milan” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 430 Hotels in Milan
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Stopover in Milan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I had one night at Hotel Berna having travelled by rail from St Pancras via Paris on June 2nd.
Initial impressions were very good, check in was quick and easy, staff were welcoming ,and friendly.
My room was on the 5th floor and whilst the outlook was not very interesting, neighbouring apartment blocks, the room itself and in particular the bathroom was excellent.
There was tea and coffee facilities and a well stocked 'free' mini bar, which was very welcoming after a full day travelling.
The bed was comfortable and had first class linen not the usual bog standard duvet. The bathroom, as mentioned, was excellent and appeared like brand new, with fresh white fittings, a powerful shower and choice of lighting, bright or a subdued form of ultraviolet. Additionally, the much mentioned rubber duck to take home became a 'travelling companion, for the rest of my trip.
The bar was pretty busy that evening so I went out in the local area to have a meal, although the area is perhaps not the most desirable there are plenty of eateries nearby.
After a good night's sleep, I went to check out the breakfast buffet that many previous reviewers have raved about and can confirm it is that good!! Staff are friendly and attentive and there is certainly everything you could wish for, including a juicer to make your own drink .
Lastly, checkout was quick and easy and I was able to get a Metro ticket to take me to Porta Garibaldi Station for my onward journey (I had miscalculated the location when I booked the Hotel purely on the excellent reports on Trip Advisor ,but is only two stops away) , plus I was given a bottle of water to take on my journey.
So all good for me with Hotel Berna, only one negative and it wasn't their fault, I had a two pin adaptor with me which I could not use as Italy have three pin power points,I asked at reception and they sold me one for three euros, a small niggle only.

Room Tip: Room was on a higher floor and at the back so fairly quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sausalito, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I normally only stay in Milan for a couple of nights at the end of my trips to Italy, and for the past 3 years I have stayed at the Hotel Berna. I originally chose it for it's proximity to the Milano Centrale train station with its direct train to Malpensa Airport. There are several hotels on the same street, and over the years I kept trying different ones until I found Hotel Berna. For a reasonable rate, the hotel offers everything I would want: efficient and friendly staff, clean & quiet rooms, proximity to transportation (the station is less than a 10 minute stroll and the entrance to the Metro is literally half a block away), and an included breakfast. The breakfast is the most lavish I have ever experienced in Milan--such a welcome surprise. I used to have to miss it on the morning of my early departure, but this year they have started serving at 6:30AM, which gives me enough time for quick meal before catching the train to Malpensa. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid of taking a room in the newer building across the street. I actually prefer the...
Melbourne Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Very close to train station, perfect for an overnight stay when needing to catch a morning train. We were two woman travelling together and had no issues walking from the train station to the Hotel, felt it was a safe area. The room was very nice and clean and the breakfast was the best we had during our stay in Italy.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Location, room amenities, staff helpfulness and everything else mentioned by other reviewers go to make this a really good hotel. Ok, it's not high end but we are pretty choosy and have our own standards for cleanliness, room temperature, noise levels etc and we were really comfortable and well looked after in Hotel Berna.

We were there for 6 nights (work and leisure) and would happily have stayed for longer. We will certainly use it again when next in Milan.

Room Tip: Specify the sort of room you would like on booking and the hotel will do its best to accommodate you...
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Our flight left very early so it was very practical to stay in a hotel near the Central Station. It was an excellent choice because it was a very nice, clean and comfortable room. Unfortunately I could not enjoy their breakfast because of the early leaving but next time I don't want to miss it. It was very convenient to reach the hotel and the Central Station late and in the early hours. I can recommend it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Wonderful hotel in excellent location. Outstanding attentive staff with quality service including extensive breakfast. Free non alcoholic in room bar. I will definitely return to say and I can highly recommend this hotel in Milan.

Room Tip: Rooms on south side are quiet
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I just spent 2 nights then 1 again at the end of our trip at Hotel Berna. The hotel is located just a few blocks from Milan Centrale train station. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is terrific - very expansive. At apperitivo time, the hotel puts out a nice spread and you just buy the drinks. The rooms were clean and spacious enough for Europe. They gave us great dinner recommendations. We would return and recommend this hotel to others.

1 Thank Carol W