“BEST EVER - FOR SERVICE AND FRIENDLINESS” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Berna

Hotel Berna
Ranked #14 of 430 Hotels in Milan
Byron Bay, Australia
“BEST EVER - FOR SERVICE AND FRIENDLINESS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

After travelling in Europe for 2 months Milano was my last stop. I couldn't have asked for anything more. From the time I walked into the door the smiles were sincere, welcoming and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. My luggage was carried to my room and then the attendant took the time to take me through all of the things I needed to know about the room thoroughly. Looking at the booklet they even offer an option of pillows!! In the bathroom they had a yellow ducky as a gift and for the reason to make me smile. Simply nothing is too much trouble and the price was very very reasonable!

The breakfast was excellent and the coffee was the best... 10 out of 10 from me!!!

Room Tip: Certainly well located. I don't think you could get better.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Irenakirp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I chose this based on TA reviews. Very accurate. As a solo traveler, female, I appreciated the availability of both a breakfast buffet and a happy hour buffet. The rooms are small but very clean and sweet. This hotel is quite close to Centrale train station and I lugged a roller and day pack to the hotel by myself with no problem. Not close to major attractions but I was only there for a very short stay. I did walk to the Duomo and that took a LONG time! But, it was fun, safe, and if I hadn't been too cheap to buy Euros (spent most of my time in Suisse), I would have taken a taxi back! Again, very convenient to get to train station and then to the airport.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank alpal4a
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed here in July 2014 for 2 nights. This hotel is really close to milano centrale. We stayed at the family room and it was huge and very clean. The room was quiet and they have the most comfortable bed you can every imagine. You can customize your stay before you arrive: choose the type of pillow, the temperature of the room or the beverages you prefer to have in your minibar. The minibar is free and replenished daily.
After we checked in to the hotel, we decided to go to duomo using the metro. When we were outside the hotel, one of the hotel staff who had just finished his shift (a Filipino guy - Earlie?? sorry about the spelling) asked us where we were going. He was going to duomo area too and offered to accompany us until we reached duomo. Wow!! With 11 people in our group and mainly children, this offer was a big plus!! He showed us where to buy the tickets and dropped us safely at duomo. Thank you again!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank vien_syd
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is a great hotel in a good location close to the metro. The staff were very friendly and helpful and this made our stay more enjoyable. The breakfast was great and had a lot of choice. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed getting the emails from Hotel Berna in the lead up to our stay.

Stefan checked us in and I found his service to be impeccable. Give this guy a raise! I was so happy to have the valet take care of our vehicle as well.

Our room on the 5th floor was great. Upgraded bathrooms. Nice lighting (groovy blue option in the bathroom).

We had a quiet room overlooking a side street. Noise was not an issue.

And as the others have mentioned, the breakfast is almost worth the price of the stay. I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BipedalJuggy
Tampere, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We chose Hotel Berna due to its excellent reviews on Tripadvisor. As other guests have pointed out, the location is good near Milano Centrale. You can reach the city centre easily by underground. We also liked the good breakfast, which offers something to everyone, and the free minibar in the room was a nice bonus.

All in all, however, the hotel was a disappointment for us. The biggest problem in our case was the noise. We had a quality room on the third floor. We could not hear anything from other rooms, but the street noise was horrible - I had to sleep with earplugs on to get at least some sleep. You could hear everything from the street: people talking loudly, ambulances, delivery trucks - just like it was happening right next to you.

I don't know about the other rooms, but our quality room definitely needed an update: the carpet and the armchairs were stained, and the bathroom was probably the ugliest I've ever seen in my life (and we have travelled a lot). The towels looked like they had been used too many times and the hairdryer seemed like one from the seventies. The bed, though, was quite comfortable, and there was a lot of storage place for your clothes.

The service via e-mail was good - you get mails before and after your holiday. However, I think it would be more important to have good service at the hotel. There was nothing wrong with the service in the breakfast room - the staff was always friendly there - but I can't say the same about the reception. The man who worked at the reception when we checked out didn't even bother to ask whether we had enjoyed our stay or not, or whether we needed help with our luggage. So unfortunately I have to conclude that on our next visit to Milan, Hotel Berna will not be our choice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Anna J
Customerrelationship, General Manager at Hotel Berna, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Anna,

thank you for reviewing the Hotel Berna. We are saddened to read that you were not totally satisfied with the quality of your stay.

We are a small family owned hotel, the rooms are all different and not standard like generally found in chain hotels. Even the decor and the interiors defer. This means that you have different room types to choose from – from Comfort to Superior – and for a small supplement you can book the room, which better meets your needs and willingness to pay.

Common to all room types are our complimentary extras such as the buffet breakfast (except the "room only" product), in room nonalcoholic minbars (8 soft drinks), free Wifi, 24 hour tea and coffee corner in the main lobby, "Good Morning News" sheets in 8 different languages, room customization and a nice antipasto happy hour buffet free with purchase of a drink.

We wished you only had infomed the Staff and we would have certainly offered you another solution. With regard to the street noise, we are not located in a busy area or with a lot of traffic and I’m wondering if you have kept the windows open, knowing that the garbage collection in the central area of Milan generally takes place between 6 and 7 a.m.

We thank you for informing us about the check-out procedure, as asking our guests if they need help for the luggage and their opinion about the stay is part of our standards. For this behavior I truly apologise. Your feedback will be talked about in our next general meeting, in order to further improve the quality of our services.

We are indeed very glad you appreciated our location, which makes us a perfect base for visiting Milan, as well as the great variety of our buffet breakfast and the friendliness of the Staff.

We would appreciate the possibility to have a second choice to welcome you back and show how important you are to us.

Best regards,

Carlo Fontana, GM & Staff
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is an excellent hotel, with a charming personal touch. The room came with a rubber ducky and some heart-shaped chocolates (perfect for me on my own :P) to keep. There's no decent restaurants or amenities nearby, although there is a small supermarket to get essentials or cheap food. It's ideal if travelling to Milano Centrale by train, as it is very close. It's also close to a metro stop which will get you to the centre of Milan in a few minutes. Highly recommended.

My room did have the hotel's brightly-lit sign right outside which buzzed annoyingly, but I didn't notice with the window closed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo