“Terrific Hotel”

Ranked #13 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Herzliya, Israel
“Terrific Hotel”
Reviewed 28 November 2006

The location and service at the Berna Milan was great. The breakfast was outrageous. (Chunks of Swiss chocolate and every kind of coffee you can imagine - in addition to the exquisite and plentiful buffet). We arrived a bit early and got our superior room with a jacuzzi. The room was spacious, parquet floors, and really beautiful. The location's great if you want to be outside of the Duomo area. It took 10 minutes by tram to get to that area. We were there mid week and wanted to stay over the weekend but the room we were in was over twice the price for the weekend, and the hotel was fully booked. The front desk guys (forgot their names) were very helpful, advised us where the hotspots are, and really made our stay super. Try it, you'll love it, but don't spread the word too far, the hotel may be fully booked.

• Liked — The room and the breakfast.
  • Disliked — Location - the area is not very vibrant after 8PM
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (717)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed 22 November 2006

I went to Milan to visit some manufacturers in the Lake Como area and asked them to recommend a hotel near the Central Station. They recommended the Berna Hotel, and I found it to be excellent. Having just paid 230Euro per night in Amsterdam, it was refreshing to find a centrally located hotel in a major city for 89Euro per night, including breakfast. The hotel staff was ultra efficient and helpful. I agree with one comment that the rooms are small, but they are clean, and the bathrooms are larger than is common in European hotels. The breakfast is very nice, with some American dishes and then a wide variety of the normal European breakfast stuff (hard boiled eggs, rolls, cheese, yogurt, etc.)

I was able to walk to Central Station in about 3 minutes, then take the Metro to Cadorna Stn, the take the Malpensa Express, all in under an hour.

I don't know if I got an especially good deal, but I found this to be one of the greatest deals I have encountered in major European cities. Highly recommended!

• Liked — Clean, great location, professional, high value
  • Disliked — Relatively small rooms.
  • Tips/Secrets — Use public transporation and you won't have to walk far.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank Chuck, Santa Cruz
manchester
Reviewed 17 November 2006

hotel is a great location, close to the city centre and subway and train station. Rooms were lovely as we requested a double room but got a massive massive bed! The staff were lovely and really helpful. The hotel was clean and very modern and pretty. Breakfast was amazing as it had food for everyone even the most fussy eater. The drink prices wern't overly priced either and you could even have a free snack at the bar. I would definately visit this hotel again as would my partner. The only problem i found was that the rooms were not soundproof as stated on the net, and there were only 2 english channels on the t.v. But overall a brill stay in hotel berna!

• Tips/Secrets — do not visit gianinnios restuarant!!!!
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
7 Thank dupiatza
Dorset,England
Reviewed 14 November 2006

I booked this hotel for my self,my husband and his American work colleague as we were on a business trip. My husband and I stayed in the tower opposite the main hotel. The room was very comfortable, the furnishing were of exceptional quality.The hotel has paid alot of attention to detail, free soft drinks and snacks in the mini bar,bathrobe & slippers etc. There was tea & coffee in the room (but no milk) but we only had to ask at reception.My only complaint would be that we did not have our chocolate at night as they did in the main hotel! The breakfast was amazing and the choice better than any hotel I have stayed in. The staff could not do enough for us and so friendly. I was even given a gift on departure and offered water for our return journey. This hotel was the best I have stayed in for a long time and I travel alot. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Milan and will definately return next year.

Stayed November 2006
6 Thank susip
France
Reviewed 9 November 2006

very nice hotel. good location.
very good service.
fabulous breakfast.
helpful staff.
bad point: room is very small

• Liked — brakfast, free bar service
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
arlington, texas
Reviewed 8 November 2006

We stayed at Hotel Berna in Milan in October 2006. It was very convenient to the train station, 3 minute walk, and very close to shopping and resturants. Rooms were very nice, down top beds, very comfortable. The reception hour and free breakfast was excellent. Nicest layout of food we had of all hotels in Italy. The staff spoke excellent English and were very friendly and helpful. I had other family members staying at the Hilton for double the price and would say the Berna was just as nice. Not as big of rooms but the quality was as nice. I would will stay there again when I go back!!

Dean
Arlington, Texas

• Liked — The great food!
  • Disliked — Got only 20 minutes of internet time.
  • Tips/Secrets — Pack Light!!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank deanosborn
Atlanta
Reviewed 6 November 2006

I found a really good rate online for a triple room at this hotel so I was very excited. However, when my family and I arrived at the hotel they gave us a double room with a cot. When I called the front desk, I was told that they were overbooked so we had no choice. There was no apology or explanation. I know hotels in Europe are small so I paid for a triple because there were three of us and we had a lot of luggage. Instead, we were crammed into a small room meant for two people. Additionally, our room looked nothing like the ones in the pictures. It looked like it hadn't been renovated in years. The furniture looked worn and the bathroom fixtures were old. It was very disappointing. I couldn't believe this was a 4 star hotel.

In general, I thought people at the front desk were snobby, rude, and completely unhelpful. They couldn't tell me where the closest supermarket was. While they did call a taxi for us, they made no attempt to help us communicate with the taxi driver. Initially, the taxi driver thought he couldn't fit all of our luggage into his van. We asked the guy at the front desk to ask the driver to try to get everything in. However, he refused to help. We were forced to communicate with the driver through hand signals. Fortunately, the taxi driver understood. We were able to get all of our luggage into the van.

Given all the negatives, I have to admit that the breakfast at this hotel was excellent. Also, the hotel is very close to the train station. It's about a 5 minute walk. The neighborhood looked OK. However, when we first arrived there, I could have sworn we passed a prostitute leaving a nearby building with a client.

Overall, I was very disappointed. I've probably stayed in one or two star hotels in Europe with better service and accomodations.

• Liked — Breakfast.
  • Disliked — Front Desk Staff & Not Getting the Room We Paid For.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank ytrinh
Dantecenter, Customer Relationship Manager at Hotel Berna, responded to this review, 13 November 2006
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing us a comment, comments are always a source of energy for the hotel. In the name of the Hotel Berna I would like to apologize for the inconveniences during your staying at our Hotel.

The hotel has being renovating since March 2006 and we are looking forward to terminate the constructions. Unfortunately, we consider this period of improvement a challenge to everyone. Obviously, in your case, we did not manage to provide you with the type of service from you expected. We are sorry!

Differently from standard prices, "really good rates" are followed with certain restrictions and only 2 or 3 rooms per day are reserved for this price category. We believe that the price in relation to quality of our rooms’ category is reasonable.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you soon!

Yours Sincerely,