“Problem with the water temperature”

WORLDHOTEL Cristoforo Colombo
Ranked #61 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times before and have always been very satisfied, however this stay was disappointing because the hot water temperature in the bathroom was tepid. I complained after the first night and was moved to another room, but the water was no hotter, so I assume it is a policy of the management not to keep the water hot (cost cutting??). I had this problem once in a hotel in Mexico and came back with a serious ear infection which was due to bacteria in the water because it was not heated enough to kill off the germs. I was therefore very nervous of having a similar problem after my stay at this hotel and indeed have suffered from red and itchy eyes during my stay and for a couple of days after. If the management could just heat the water to a higher temperature, the problem would disappear, and I hope they do solve it because the hotel is a nice one. The rooms at the back of the hotel are quiet and the breakfast is excellent, as is the location just a few metres from the metro station. The water problem really put me off though and I think next time in Milan I will stay at the Best Western Galles just up the road as I think it now has the edge over this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel to avoid looking onto the main street which can be very nois...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 12 October 2012

The hotel is such a lovely building. Rooms were clean and well cared for. Food we had was not so good, but we ate out most of the time. However, when my son thought he'd lost his passport Nicolas, the man on reception could not have been more helpful. He contacted the embassies in Milan and Rome for us and was so polite - even when we found the passport! Would definitely go there again. Drinks were rather expensive though.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2012

The hotel is located on the subway and therefore the trains can be heard and felt passing under it every two minutes or so. If you are a light sleeper this could affect your stay. The rooms to the front are nice and the bathrooms have been updated. There was unfortunately an occasional sewer smell coming from the plumbing or the ventilation of the restrooms. We did get a very generous late check out at 4p.m. The staff was super helpful and patient with answering all questions and helping with directions .

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Good location. Walking distance 20mins to duomo or you can catch metro two stops. Loved loved loved the breakfast and the sweet maitre'd who was proud to please us! Clean rooms, spacious too. 24hr concierge is great, very helpful. Note that city tax of 4euros pp is on top of quoted rate per day.

Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Disappointed with the room for the price. It was very small and cramped, so much so I could not open my suitcase fully on the floor. The bathroom only had a shower and was so small you kept banging into other bathroom units whilst trying to use it. The hotel appears to be directly over the underground Metro and even into the early hours of the morning, every couple of minutes the whole place rumbles.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Stayed here and the end of August on a business conference, I had been upgraded to a room at the front of the hotel which was lovely and had french windows overlooking the street below - I was slightly concerned when I saw the earplugs in the bathroom but whilst you could hear the noise of the traffic and the tram, it didn't keep me awake - the room attendants though did. Every morning they were banging up and down the corridors and a couple of afternoons when I wanted a quiet hour, I put my do not disturb light on and they to absolutely no notice and knocked on the door whenever they needed access.
Breakfast was ok - powdered scrambled egg and soggy streaky bacon was the extent of the cooked and a selection of the usual cererals and tinned fruit, with pre sliced bread was about it.
Reception staff were great and very helpful but often they had to serve at the bar as well which sometimes led to delays, very small bar area in the main reception so not somewhere you would meet for a drink.
Fantastic location - for sightseeing and shopping and for that alone I would stay here again.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights.
The locations is good, subway station right outside the hotel - however I had read from previous reviews that the rooms can be quite noisy because of the subway and other traffic so I specifically requested a room facing the inner courtyard, and the room was very quiet (in fact, during check-in I was upgraded to a better room than I had booked which was very nice). Lots of shops on Corso Buenos Aires and access to the Milan central station was convenient with the tram.
The room (on the 5th floor) wasn´t very big but since I was travelling solo it was ok. Air-con was a definite plus as the weather was boiling hot.
Breakfast was good, all the normal breakfast foods were available.
Staff spoke English and were quite friendly.
The free wifi was excellent, there is also a computer in the lobby for the hotel quest.
The only thing that was strange and quite annoying was that the maids wanted to clean my room every day even though I specifically put the do-not-disturb sign on my door every morning. I´m a very private person and I don´t want people touching my stuff so I always put those signs on my door whenever I stay at any hotel. And yet every afternoon when I returned my room had been cleaned. What´s the point of even having those signs available if they are of no use?
For the money I payed per night (66€) this was a real find and I would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room facing the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo