“An average experience”

Ranked #49 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Newcastle, Australia
“An average experience”
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We stayed here on three occasions during June 2011.
The first room we had was right next to the lift and around 3 a.m in the morning people would get out of the lift and just stand there talking loudly. One night they were there for about 15 minutes before they moved on. Could not get back to sleep.
The next time we stayed we had a better room as far away from the lift as it was possible to be after saying something to reception. So they obviously listened. The third time they put us back in the same room we had the second time so all ok there.
I feel this hotel is a bit too far out from the city and you can only get the tram there not the train so it took a long time to get into the city.
Hardly any restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. So after you had been out sightseeing all day you would then have to get transport to get dinner. So most times we would just get room service which is not what we really like to do as we like to eat in restaurants but it was all too hard when you just can't walk to a nearby restaurant.
I feel this hotel is more suited to just the business traveller as we could see at breakfast time each morning they seemed to be the only customers of this hotel besides us.
The hotel was clean enough, breakfast was reasonable, room service food was ok but reception staff although they were efficient enough, were very unfriendly and liked to make you wait. We did not feel welcome at all.
So summing it up, I would not stay here when visiting Milan again.

Room Tip: Ask for a more modern room away from the lifts.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
gruppomirage, Direttore vendite at Best Western Hotel Mirage, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
Thank you for telling his experience at the Mirage Hotel on Tripadvisor.
I'm very sorry that you don't have a pleasant stay at our Hotel. Regarding the room I'm sorry that you had to change it and I'm very sorry also regarding the reception staff, although it's inusual as you can read on the other reviews.

Near our Hotel there are many good restaurants within walking distance.,

We hope to see you again as our guests, to make you change your mind.

Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We can only reiterate the good reviews given by others regarding the quality of our stay at the Mirage. The staff were excellent and very customer service focused and were able to help with any queries we had regarding local eating places, transport etc. Value for money - very good. Well kept, clean and in a safe area. Although not in the centre of Milan, we enjoyed the experience of travelling on the local trams and getting the opportunity to see other areas of the city that we would not otherwise have seen. Had a very enjoyable stay.

Thank you for telling his experience at the Mirage Hotel on Tripadvisor.
I am very happy that you find the Hotel Mirage a very great place to stay in MIlan.

Almeria, Spain
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I booked this hotel after reading reviews on tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. The staff were very helpful with public transport information and restaurant recommendations. The tram stops just opposite the hotel and takes 20-25 minutes to the centre. The restaurant L'Oasi opposite is very good value and has an extensive menu. The hotel is very convenient for San Siro stadium.

Warsaw
Reviewed 20 July 2011

The reason why I had chosen this hotel in Milan for my 5 days stay was quite obvious: acceptable price for a **** stars hotel and excellent Tripadvisor reviews. I moved in there with some excitement, looking forward to what is was going to be like and... here is what I have found:
The hotel is quite a distance from the city center. It can be easily reached by tram 14 that stops just 20 meters from the entrance, however, it takes some 30 minutes to get there from the Piazza Duomo area. Not because it is that far away; indeed the reason is the Milan traffic and the slowest trams I have experienced in my life.
As you enter the hotel, you see a big elegant lobby with a water and coffee stand to welcome you (partcularly appreciable on hot summer days when you still have to wait for your room to be ready, as it was in my case). The reception is quick and professional. They i.e. sell tram/bus/subway tickets, get your mail to post it, etc. In the reception hall room, there are also two PC stand with a free internet access. All in all, just what you would expect from a truly ****service.
Let's move up to the room. Mine was a double room on the 5th floor. Clean, elegant, very spacious, well equipped (incl. tea/coffee spot + minibar), displaying an efficient air conditioning (indeed, possibly even "too efficient" for I couldn't switch it off, no matter what button I pressed, but maybe it was just my lack of technical understanding...).
Now, let us go to the 6th floor to have a breakfast after a good sleep at night.
The breakfast room is spacious, it additionally displays a small terrace with several tables to eat outside in good weather. The quality of breakfast is all right; there is a variety of food, as you normally have it in upscale hotels, even though there is rather nothing about it to really blow you over. Simply very decent.
One very problematic issue about the breakfast is its service staff - admittedly not all of them but just one youngish guy who urgently needs some customer service training. I could live with the fact he hardly notices guests coming in in the morning, just concentrating on his job of cleaning the tables and supplying the food, in a manner that displays how deadly bored he is with his task. However, what made me almost furious one morning was his most inappropriate "lesson for the guests" on how to behave while getting the food on one's plate, accompanied by tapping me on the shoulders(!) and addressing me by "my friend"(!). Indeed, at first I thought I misunderstood him, or maybe my English wasn't that good and I got something wrong, but a minute later the same situation repeated with another hotel guest! It is a pity, indeed, that one ignorant (or arrogant) staff member who seems to be a big failure of the hotel recruitment services can with his rude behavior spoil the overall very positive impression of the hotel.
As a matter of fact, that is why my review rating for this hotel is "only" 4 points, and not just 5 (the highest possible rating). "Close to perfect", indeed, but still not perfect and with an urgent need for one important improvement...

Thank you for telling his experience at the Mirage Hotel on Tripadvisor.
I am very happy that you find the Hotel Mirage a very great place to stay in MIlan although your stay was "fouled" by one of our staff in the breakfast room, since our philosophy is complete customer satisfaction.
Please accept my personal apology about it.
We are pleased to welcome you back to our hotel!

Amsterdam
Reviewed 19 July 2011

The service levels in this hotels are amazing.
Small example. We arrived and chose not to use the paid parking as there are a lot of parking spots in front of the hotel. As we were not clear if it was free to park there I asked the reception. They walked to my car( 100 meters) to check if it was ok so i would not be fined. These guys make a sport of customer service and doing it very well.

Rooms are very clean and, minibar prices fair. Breakfast is good and it is possible to eat a the rooftop terrace.

Trams stops right in front of the hotel ( you can buy a ticket at reception for 1,20 euro)
and tram 22 takes you to the center in about 10 to 15 minutes. Taxi will cost you about 15 euros.

When we will go shopping in MIlan this will be our hotel from now on. The big chains can learns something of how these people treat their customers

Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2011

there is a tram line directly in front of the hotel that takes you right to the centre of town. it is the number 14. (google dose not give this information) and can get you most places. hopefully you don't end up walking the mile and a half like we ended up doing, when we could have used a perfectly good tram line....

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for telling his experience at the Mirage Hotel on Tripadvisor.
I am very happy that you met your expectations and that all departments was helpful.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here during the last leg of our Italy trip, as we were flying out of Milan to get back home. We didn't know much about the city, but the front desk staff did a great job of recommending places to go and eat (ask them to make a reservation for you at L'Immagine Ristorante Bistrot!) The hotel was a little far from the city center, but right across the street from a city train stop, so it's easy to get in and out. The rooms were also nice and comfortable - a very great place to stay in Milan!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda J
gruppomirage, Direttore vendite at Best Western Hotel Mirage, responded to this review, 23 June 2011