“RUDE STAFF”
Review of Casa Mia Hotel

Casa Mia Hotel
Ranked #335 of 426 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 27 September 2008

As a regular traveller to Europe, using trip advisor as a useful guide when booking hotels, I felt compelled to write about my experience with this particular hotel. Whilst attemtping to find suitable accommodation for my family, I sent a few enquiries to hotels recommended by fellow travellers. Most hotels responded within 24-48 hrs in a professional courteous manner. When following up on a few emails, this particular hotel responded with-

"we are not interested !!!!!!!!"

The text was written in bold with a font size of 36.
With such a lack of respect for a potential customer, I could not entrust my family's health & safety with this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank keentraveller25
There are newer reviews for Casa Mia Hotel

Reviewed 22 August 2008

Finding decent accommodation at acceptable prices in Milan is a difficult task, especially if you're travelling on a budget. This is to some degree true of Italy in general, where three or more stars are definitely not a guarantee that your lodgings will be satisfactory. Casa Mia therefore afforded a very pleasant surprise and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone visiting Milan.

The location of the hotel is very good, with a tram line on the same street, a metro station just around the corner, and several parking garages in the area. The Duomo can be reached on foot, but in summer we'd recommend taking the metro (2 stops to the Duomo) because the heat is insufferable. Just a tram ride down the street you'll find Corso Buenos Aires, one of the main shopping streets sporting more affordable outlets suited for the financially less-endowed. Across the street from the hotel is also a beautiful park where you can take a rest from the summer heat. Next door is a restaurant which was unfortunately closed for summer vacations.

The hotel itself is no frills, spare, bland and perhaps uninviting at first glance, but it's clean, the rooms are comfortable and everything in them is functional. Our bed was excellent, with firm mattress and pillows. The bathroom was narrow and small, but again, it was clean, the shower was good, and it was equipped with a hairdryer. Most importantly, each room had air-conditioning, which was a life-saver in the intolerable heat and dankness of Milan. The only potentially problematic aspect of the A/C is that it's operated by the staff from the reception area, and you can only regulate the flow of air in the room. This meant that the staff turned the a/c off every time we left the hotel and turned it back on when we returned, and we also noticed that they'd turn it off some time in the night, around 2 or 3 a.m. and then switch it back on at 6 or 7 a.m. We slept like babies and had no complaints, but an American guest apparently had a problem with this arrangement and had an argument with one of the staff, probably wanting the a/c to be turned on the whole time.

Speaking of the staff, they were all unvariably kind and helpful and spoke decent English. The reception is open 24 hours, so no worries about checking in at any time of day or night. Another great service free of charge offered by the hotel is wi-fi access, which was supposed to be available in all the rooms, but in ours it wasn't, despite a trasmitter-thingy placed on a desk right in front of our door. It wasn't that big of a deal because we could just take our notebook to the reception area where the connection was perfectly stable, but perhaps someone needing to work or surf in the privacy of their room would've complained more loudly. We mentioned the problem to the staff but they were obviously unable to do anything about it.

I noticed some reviewers mentioned that breakfast wasn't included in the price, but this wasn't true in our case. We paid 72 euros for a double room per night, breakfast included. And for a two-star establishment, breakfast was pretty decent, although far from ample or varied. Coffee, prepared by the staff and not filter-made, was excellent.

The only real complaint we had during our stay didn't have anything to do with the hotel: it was the unbelievable giant mutant mosquitoes (which unfortunately manage to get into your room as well) that the city is infested with every summer, and it's a problem the city still hasn't managed to find a solution for. No amount of repellent and no ordinary after-bite soothing gel will help you; we ended up going to a farmacy, where we were given a corticosteroid treatment cream which helped reduce the swellings and alleviate the itchings. That's why we would recommend avoiding Milan during summer, as the mosquito situation can really be aggravating and affect your enjoyment of Milan.

All in all, Casa Mia Hotel represents great value for the price, and we'll definitely stay there next time we visit Milan.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2008

Ok, basically the hotel is right next to the westin, it's a bit of a walk from the Central station (which is a 4 euro bus ride from the linate airport). The hotel is very clean, very nice, the reception room is amazing. The breakfast is not free, but it's only 4 euro. The internet is free and the staff is usually very helpful. The first day i got in, i suppose i got in too early and the guy at the desk wasnt too nice about it -- but he, despite his standoffish attitude, let me check in early -- their usual check in is at 1. But they're pretty relaxed. The room is small, yes, but the cleanliness of the facilities (shower, outside and inside the room and reception are) and the fact that it is actually quite convenient and quaint make up for it. They have water, coffee, some alcohol, so you can hide away there on a tired day. It's very quiet, not "find a bunch of friends" kind of place. Too bad though... The walls are thin, but you have everything in your room -- the tv, the table with chair, the end table, the wardrobe and the bathroom! cmon, it's great!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2008

Close to repubblica exit from Metro, room size adequate, own bath w/c is adequate, no elevator, free internet, a/c room, brkfst is with croissant, cereal, coffee, juice;

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2008

This is a great hotel to stay in for several reasons: good location, great staff, cheap cost, safe, clean and decent.

Stayed here for 2 days, and must say that I am really pleased with the experience. The hotel is situated very close to the Duomo area -- about 15 mins walk or so -- and just 5 mins away from the nearest metro stop which will take you to the shopping area (Montenapoleone - 2 stops away) and the Duomo in a matter of minutes.

The staff are all really nice people, and I had a good time chatting with the night staff as well. They're all decent folk and are ready to help you with any query you have. I asked for a nearby vegetarian restaurant and they immediately had suggestions for me.

They offer free wi-fi to hotel guests too, and a computer in the lobby area for internet use, free of charge! This is a great bonus in addition to the cheap lodging.

The room I stayed in was clean, quiet (facing the inner courtyard), albeit a bit small. Well, all I needed was just a place to stay, so it didn't matter to me that it wasn't a large room. The more important thing was that everything was clean. The toilet was big enough too, and many towels were provided -- just for one person!

Their breakfast service was generous too. Buffet-style, with free flow of juices, milk, and tea/coffee was served by the staff. There was cereal of a very simple variety, buns, cheese, butter and jam. Good stuff! So much better than what I had experienced in other budget Milanese hotels.

In all, I was very very happy with my stay at the hotel, and will be recommending it to friends heading to Milan. The next time I go there I'll be staying here for sure! While another hotel that I've stayed in before was also good, they were lacking in the warmth and generosity which I very much prefer! Hotel Casa Mia's cheaper anyway!! :)

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 December 2007

The hotel is located in Piazza della Republicca -- BUT this square is enormous. We got out of the metro of the wrong side and we were trying to find the street with no luck. The metro station is quite complicated so unless you find the right exit you feel a bit a lost because all you see is "Piazza della Republicca" and no other street name!
Anyway, we reached the hotel (after trying unsuccessfully to get directions -- no English in Milan, no communication even though I speak 4 foreign languages) and we had two very pleasant surprises waiting for us: the hotelier spoke English (quite well actually!) and there was free Internet Access.
Room was OK. It was clean, spacious enough for two persons, there was hot water in the shower so for the few hours we spent each night, it was more than OK I guess. We never had breakfast (never got to see it either!) because it was over by 10 o'clock but Alessandro (the hotelier) always offered us coffee and a croissant.
It is near the main shopping road of Milan, where one can find Prada, Gucci, Armani and so on. The location, in fact, is quite good for a low budget traveller.
I booked this hotel because it was recommended in Lonely Planet and I am pretty sure that it was the best choice for my budget.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank kathoula
Reviewed 11 October 2007

This hotel was very nice. My wife and I stayed here our first
2 nights in Italy and again, 3 weeks later, our last night in
Italy. Vito was perfect. When we arrived, he insisted on bringing
our bags up the stairs. Practically forced us to have a cafe (no
charge) and settled us into our room. Highlight of the hotel
was the restaurant right next door: La Tana de Lupa (wolf's
den). Stefano (owner and personality extraordinaire) provided
us with an absolutely spectacular meal...complete with com-
plimentary Lemoncella to finish.
Vito, as well, recommended another terrific restaurant down
the street our 2nd night....Baffo. Characterized by an extraordinary
buffet (unusualy for Italy)...with amazing meats and even a
wonderful selection of seafoods.
This is NOT a fancy hotel...but, as well, just try to find a nice hotel
with great staff, clean rooms, in a good section of town....for 110
Euros or so. This hotel is just fine. Ignore the one bad review...

Stayed: September 2007