“Excellent Location Not so Comfortable”
Review of Grand Plaza Hotel

Grand Plaza Hotel
Ranked #344 of 426 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 18 January 2013

If you are looking for proximity to Duomo Square at a reasonable price and you don't mind uncomfortable beds/pillows this is the place.
This is not a 4 star hotel. The rooms are clean, very roomy with high ceilings. Unfortunately, there a lots of water stains on the ceiling and overall tired decor. I was traveling with my adult daughter for 2 days of sightseeing and shopping. We were only looking for a convenient/comfortable place to stay. Our first room was so noisy (awakened by garbage trucks at 5:50am), that we relocated to another room. I also found the beds (twin) to be extremely uncomfortable.
The breakfast is very good and included. The service was very good too.
I would not stay here again as bad beds negate the other amenities for me.

Room Tip: The rooms with street view are extremely noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Grand Plaza Hotel

Reviewed 16 January 2013

We had used the hotel over several years. It was good value for the price and location is convenient. This trip. Arriving on 29 December 2012 and departing on 2 January 2013. The room was less well maintained. The desk chair was broken and never replaced. On Sunday, 30 December when I returned in the late afternoon, the room had been cleaned. I looked for my fountain pen (Dupont) that I had on the desk in a case and the case and pens inside were missing. Upon looking I found that my iPhone 4S and two iPod Nanos gone also. The iPhone and iPods were in my backpack that was closed but not locked. After an extensive search I reported it to the hotel reception in the morning of Monday, 31 December. Later that day, Reception reported that they talked to the person who cleaned the room that that person reported that everything was in order. Therefore Reception concluded that the hotel was not responsible. Although I was 98% positive I had left the items in the hotel room, every conceivable place was checked and the missing items were nowhere. Being robbed and the hotel approach plus a less than well maintained and cleaned room and broken furniture has taken Grand Hotel Plaza off the list permanently.

Room Tip: Use a different hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Reviewer_161231
Reviewed 31 December 2012

The best:
*Excellent location, about a block from the Duomo.
*Rooms are clean and good.

The worst:
*The service could be better.
*The breakfast is not very good, but it does its job.
*The stuff seemed lazy

Balance: it is better to find a smaller and cheaper hotel with better service.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We really enjoy to stay in Grand Plaza. Our royal room is very nice and comfortabel, perfect and delicious breakfast (I love cappuccino ;)) now) and very friendly host.
We have one of our best Christmas vacations in Milano, Italy. Many thanks!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2012

The first day, we smelled mold heavily when we opened the window. It was intolerable. The whole floor smells nicotine. So, we changed the room. The different room where we moved doesn't smell much. Even though, the floor smells cigarette. The floor we stayed is supposed to be non smoking. I guess all the guests of this hotel tended not to obey the rules... The bathroom doesn't have a shower curtain or glass door. It has just plastic unstable panels. It didn't function very well. So, I had to splash water everywhere and absolutely did wet the floor. It was terrible... So, you need to order extra towels for this.Breakfast was OK. Fruits, boiled eggs, ham and cheese selections, etc. The location is very close to Milan cathedral and city center. So, there are many boutiques and restaurants & bars. The loud voice of the drunk people walking by the hotel woke me up in the middle of the night. So, it may happen on your stay. This hotel is a 4 star hotel according to their web page. But it is NOT a 4 star at all. I think the location is 4 star. So, if you choose this hotel, be prepared. Good luck!

Room Tip: Order extra towels and pillows. Their pillows are extremely low.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rinring
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Our room was at the first floor....with the night club right under the hotel opened until 3-4 o'clock at night, we had a very bad sleep....music all night!
And there was no possibility of having a shower because the bathtub had no hook for the tube of the water....very unconfortable

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 1 November 2012

It s true, the hotel has come of age but then who hasn t? The girls at the reception were very polite and helpful. The elevator is a witness of the rocking fifties optimism of the future. Anything could do with a touch of a paintbrush but - hey! So could the whole of italy!
The rooms have nice solid wood furniture and if you stay in 524 you could even swing two cats in it! The bathroom was clean, the water tabs were already there at its inauguration, but i know quite a few persons that would pay excessive prices to have those installed in their new home.
The breakfast was what you would expect for eur 123 per room: orange sugar water that should resemble orange juice, a dutch hot water and coffe powder mixer to produce something that resembles faintly coffee, so what? There were fresh panini, joghurt, salami, cheese and fruit and for the coffee you could just go around the corner and have an italian café.
Overall, this hotel deserves a much better rating and it s 2 min from the 'duomo'.

Room Tip: As i wrote 524
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple