“One of the best hostels I have stayed in!”
Review of Ostello Bello

Ostello Bello
Ranked #1 of 286 Speciality Lodging in Milan
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I have stayed at many hostels all around Europe and this one makes it to the top of the list. Modern, clean, quiet rooms. Buzzing common area where it is really easy to meet fellow travellers and even locals! Free welcome drink, free aperitivo buffet if you buy a drink, what more could you want!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Charlie N

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have stayed at Ostello Bello four times and I did enjoy staying there. Location was superb, staff very helpful, smiling and relaxed. The atmosphere was great effervescent, busy place in the centre of the city. It is also very clean, the common areas are nicely decorated; events, food with a style and taste.

This what I thought before the last week Friday night. I needed 4 nights but only 3 were available. I asked via e-mail if I could jump on any cancellation and also for a lower bed. Bed was confirmed via e-mail not the night. At arrival the lower bed was unavailable, apparently somebody changed reservation. I thought it was an insignificant detail for a low cost accommodation. The following day the member of staff called me saying I have got a cancellation “you do even need to change the bed”. This was in front of an Argentinian couple with whom a sympathised and they remembered her confirming the reservation. The reservation was on the computer. That day I was in another city 70 km from Milan and managed to catch the last train arrived at 2 pm.

I could not access the hostel, my stuff was in a plastic bag, the locker was broken. The guy, member of stuff, half my age was talking to me from’ up to down’, using very patronising tone and suggesting me with a dose of “generosity” to sleep on the couch in the basement. Suddenly the owner appeared, never seen him before, threatening with a police without even that I could explain the smallest thing. I said please contact another employee, he was not going to contact an employee at 2 am. I was out at 2 am on the street with my stuff in a plastic bag. I knocked once and managed to take my Lombardian specialities that I left in the fridge. I knocked again, realised that my cosmetics: perfume, creams remained in the bathroom and my lecture notes on the chair but nobody opened.

What I see my destiny was already decided before I came back, they were waiting for me with a written scenario without the smallest notification, a question, no e- mail, no phone call, no communication with the employees since the employee in question would only confirm my reservation.

The owner was particularly rude without even exchanging a sentence with me. His disproportionate and unreasonable ‘use of force’( une opération muscle) has no justification.
The owner had opportunity to talk to the employee since and she certainly said that my reservation was confirmed. This only proves very basic personal skills unable to admit the mistake, error.

Therefore the primary consideration of any hosting establishment is to secure the reservation system that nobody remains on the street at 2 pm, without the possibility to collect even my belongings left in the bathroom and my lecture notes.

There is no free drink, free orange that could compensate subjecting people to such a treatment

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
16  Thank Katarzyna G
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This place is just great. A good bar with friendly staff, and nice affordable food (and apperitivi every evening at 7). Breakfast is included in the price too. There are so many places you can go n this hostel to chill out with friends. There's a basement area with sofas and loads of usocal instruments to play with. It even has a TV and games console. There's a few little terraces to go out to and a great kitchen area with fridges to store any food you bring with you. The rooms theselves are comfortable and clean. The only problem with the rooms is that each bed does not have its own plug so sometimes you have to charge phones and cameras on the otherside of the room, but this is only a minor inconvenience. Lockers are provided so remember to bring your own padlock. This place feels more like someone's home than a hostel, really excellent, one of the best hostels I've stayed in. The location is great too, a five-ten minute walk from the duomo and metro station.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My second time at a hostel, and I was taken by storm! The area was great, right next to the Duomo so easy acces all around Milan. When I first arrived at the hostel, I was taken care of with a free drink of choice, and escorted to my dormroom by one of the owners. It was a great way to arrive :-) There's a nice vibe during the evening with the aperitivo and locals coming in to dine and wine. I loved it here. The hammock on the sunny terazze was the best! ;-)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I arrived at around 8am after a sleepless 15hr bus trip from Paris, greeted by the amazingly happy and friendly kristina who gave me a laptop to use, took my laundry and bags from me then let me sleep on their couch till check in! She made my day/ stay! But no the rest of the hostel is awesome ! The lobby is always full with interesting people, plus a 2nd kitchen for just people staying which had free food and an awesome balcony. Rooms great just everything was awesome from the moment I walked in, to the moment I left. I recommend this place to all my friends and all of you!!! Location is perfect as well!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I've stayed in plenty of hostels and I think this is the first where the staff introduced themselves when you check in. Great touch! A free welcome drink is most welcomed too. Then they show you to your room - a rare touch in hostels. The included breakfasts and dinners are good and the hostel does a great job in creating an atmosphere which allows you to meet others very easily.

My only tiny grumble: my bunk bed was shaky. You knew when the person below was turning over / getting up!

But don't get me wrong - a great place. Keep up the good work Bello!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed three days in Ostello Bello after a recommendation from a Bologna friend. The people is super friendly, the place is well organized and the rooms are clean. It is nice also because it is not a tourist-only place but also a popular place for locals to hangout at the bar and the restaurant (they offer cheap dinner for everybody), in this way you can have opportunities to interact not only with fellow travelers but also with the milanese.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo