“Clean, affordable and close to town”
Review of New York Hotel

New York Hotel
Ranked #177 of 426 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel is close to central station and a 20 minute walk to the duomo. The hop on hop off bus has a stop between central station and the hotel which was handy for me. The staff were friendly and helpful at all times and the breakfast was good too considering the standards of some European hotels breakfasts. The hotel lobby itself appears to be fairly recently renovated. The rooms are slightly dated however, they are spacious, clean and comfortable. Would recommend

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for New York Hotel

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The location it is just a three minutes from Milano Centrale.
Easy access to the city. Many shops and restaurants within walking distance.
Clean, quiet and spacious room.
Good breakfast, friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We chose this hotel because of its location close to the central station, and it was also very handy for tram and bus services heading to the centre of Milan.
The hotel was beautifully cool, a welcome relief on a hot day. The reception was ambivalent, some of the staff were friendly and helpful, whilst one or two individuals in reception seemed to resent us being there. No complaints about the room - spacious, light and airy, and spotlessly clean.
The breakfast too was of a good standard, as usual offering far more than we could eat.
Finally, the cost of an overnight stay was very reasonable - another reason for being there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have very little good to say about Milan, but if you have to go there, this is a nice place to stay. For one thing, it couldn't be better located for getting to the train station and out of Milan! The staff are friendly, the breakfast is great. My room was nice and clean, with a pretty modern bathroom and a little balcony. It was rather hot when I was in Milan, and there's no air conditioning here. I found that somehow the air didn't seem to enter the room even with the balcony door open, so it did get very stuffy.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank John S
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The room was small, but clean. The location was close to the Centrale Train station and convenient to Metro. Internet was 3 Euros per day extra, but was well worth it, as it worked well.

The breakfast was very adequate with a lot of choices and good food.

This is a very good value. A decent place at a very good price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My views generally refect those of other guests. I am satisfied that the included breakfast was quite reasonable and that genuine attempts to clean the room daily were attended to. . As a weary traveller arriving before 11am I was grateful for early check in. The location of the hotel was convenient ,being in proximity to Central Station (in Milan).
I am not unfairly critical of services -but the following should be recorded.
The cleaning woman was good AT CLEANING. However she equally was NOT good at removing items from the mini bar at my request In fact she carried on like a bear with a sore head as she did so ,muttering to herself in Italian. She gave a repeat performance when the management moved me from one room to another(due to a defective safe in the first room).
A good cleaner -YES, a mini-bar person -NO!! She was suited to cleaning -not to handling even minor requests.
I found the same to be true in other staff. In particular one Indian looking staff member was GOOD at cleaning the banisters. Yet when at the front counter I asked for a 5am wake up call he said that I did not need one since I was not leaving the next day. .I told him I KNEW that I was not leaving the next day but that I had a daily tour trip (to Venice) and needed to arise early. He then said that he was wrong and that he was sure that I was leaving the next day!!
I invited him to check the facts on the computer to which he started mumbling something inaudible. He then asked me why I always went up in THE SAME LIFT-and why did I not give the other lift a try. . I said that I did not know that there a law requiring me to experiment with different lifts. To be candid I found him to be quite silly. A good cleaner of banisters-YES, an officer dealing with paying guests -NO!!.

Room Tip: Let staff do only the work thety are good -when some staff try to deal with guests they are shocking
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank uym2
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We booked this hotel as it was near the central station and were arriving in Milan late and catching a train the next day. You could see the hotel as you left the station and despite the closeness we didn't experience any noise issues.

The staff at reception were very helpful, knowledgable and friendly. The room itself was a little small and dark but it was very comfortable and we all had a good nights sleep.

The breakfast spread was a little depleted, we persistently had to ask for basic things to be replenished such as cups, water, and cutlery. It got a little embarrassing asking for so much but there was very little left.

The metro station was a 2 minute walk from the hotel and it was only 1 eruo 80 and less than 10 minutes to get to the Duomo. All in all very convent and handy place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends