“Great Hotel”

Ranked #11 of 431 Hotels in Milan
scotland
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel last week for 3 nights. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning to visit Milan

Prior to our arrival I had e-mailed the hotel to confirm everything was in order with the booking (not made directly with hotel) and received an e-mail back the same day confirming same.

Every member of staff we came across were helpful and happy to phone us taxis, help us with directions etc. I would not say the reception staff were overly friendly but they did help out when asked.

We had one of the special rooms with its own terrace. Was a lovely large room with plenty of storage space. The terrace was a nice touch but unfortunately we couldn't really enjoy it due to the weather. The rooms was immaculately clean with a super clean bathroom (not the garish yellow style on one of the photos!). There was a free soft-drinks mini-bar in the room which was a nice touch. The only thing the room lacked was a small security safe.

The rooms were cleaned each day with fresh towels provided and the mini-bar re-stocked.

The breakfast consisted of cakes, pastries, fruit, cereal, yoghurt, cold meats, cheeses, rolls and bread. Fresh fruit juice, water and coffees/teas were also readily available.

The hotel is in a quiet street but is only a 5-minute walk to the Duomo. You could not be better placed!

All in all I would highly recommend this hotel

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank laurells

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,304 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2008

We stayed 3 nights at Gran Duca di York in April 2008. The hotel is only a 10 minute walk from the metro station that brings you in from Malpensa Airport (Cardrona I think). It is also a 5 minute walk to the Duomo. It is in a great position and in a nice quite street. The breakfast that we had was substantial and good value for a European Hotel breakfast. The rooms are small and functional but ours was clean and had everything we needed. The bathroom is also small, but overall I would definitely choose to stay here again because we found it to be a nice place in an excellent position. We actually found the breakfast and reception staff to be quite friendly.

• Liked — Good position, good breakfast
  • Disliked — Smallish rooms
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Belgo96
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2008

This was our favorite hotel among several hotels in Italy that we liked a great deal.

We stayed in room #107, which they call a “special” twin. It was pleasingly decorated, it had two double beds, and it had a French door that opened onto a terrace.

All staff members were pleasant and welcoming. Breakfast was delicious, and it was served in a pleasant room.

The hotel is located near the Duomo, but its immediate neighbors are office buildings rather than bars and shops. Nonetheless, the action is a short walk away.

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank wonderfulworld
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2008

Nice clean hotel with a great location. Only 5 blocks fromDuomo, trolley, and shopping. Would stay here again if Ariston Hotel is not available.

Rooms clean, breakfast one of the best we had on our trip. Beds large for twin beds but hard. Rooms had bathtubs which was a plus.

The staff seemed too busy to help us, if we asked for directions for resturant it was a lot of trouble for them to look it up if they didnt know where it was. We asked about laundry and was pretty much laughed at.

A few things they were helpful with but most things staff did not want to help us with. Even had trouble getting them to return confirmation emails before trip. They would help non english customers before English speaking ones no matter who was there first. We felt we were putting them out everytime we asked a question. We were snickered at more than once. At first it was kind of cute but soon become not so funny.

We wanted to stay in Milan one extra day and they did not have a room but they did refer us to a very nice one that was very close, clean and very very friendly and helpful. Even had real maps for us. Made us reservations for dinner and ask how we liked the food when we returned. It was Ariston Hotel.

• Liked — clean, great breakfast, location
  • Disliked — Staff was not friendly or helpful for the most part
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank cabinlife
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2008

oh my oh my. a very fab hotel which is literally, no honestly 5 mins walk away from duomo. very easy to reach from central train station from the metro (only 3 -4 stops about), then follow the instructions on the website and voila!

hotel rooms weren't too big, but very neat and clean and very enough for the price we paid. Concierge and other staffs were very friendly indeed. especially the staff working at the bar.

Though the breakfast room was kind of small, but its bare-able. There weren't any table left on the breakfast area, & so the bar staff offered us special cappuccino while waiting for a free table.

lobby looks very decent and its very well enough for people who's just lookin for a not too bad place to stay and to tour around or do some massive shopping in duomo. Close to drop down shopping bags and go for another round!!

oh plus, theres restaurants around the area, so its easy peasy!!!

• Liked — close to duomo, very convenient
  • Disliked — toilet not too pretty, not much room facilities
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2008

This was an excellent hotel. the room and public areas were exceptionally clean and cared for. From the moment of arrival to when we left the staff were friendly efficient and caring. Nothing was too much trouble, from booking taxi's to recommending restaurants. The location is excellent as well. Thought twice about posting this review as I thought about keeping this great hotel to myself.

• Liked — Location and loggia. Also friendly staff.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WirralPeter
Rockford, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2008

I have stayed at the Gran Duca di York twice. I was first there in September of 2007 and again in late October, early November in 2008. If I am lucky enough to return to Milan, I will definitely stay there again.
The location could not be better. I chose it because it is very near most of the sights/sites I wanted to visit--easy walking distance to many--and I enjoy walking.
I also chose it because I travel alone and like to pick a location for the hotel where I know I can go out in the evening for dinner and perhaps some sight seeing at night with no problem. The Duomo is a marvel at night just as in the day.
I heartily recommend it to anyone interested in convenience and value. And I might add that age doesn't matter since I am indeed a senior.
Joan Schmelzle

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Like many value hotels in U.S. and abroad there is no comfortable chair in ROOM for reading.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo