“Once again we don't need a 5 star hotel”
Review of Lancaster Hotel

Lancaster Hotel
Ranked #21 of 427 Hotels in Milan
hong kong
“Once again we don't need a 5 star hotel”
Reviewed 6 November 2011

In October I took a trip to Milan and London all by myself - a single woman. Many of my friends advised me not to go cos' we heard so many negative things about Italy. I decided to try cos' my friends they neither couldn't afford nor no holidays!! I checked all the hotel reviews in Milan from Trip Advisor and I chose Hotel Lancaster. I stayed there for 3 nights and everything is just like what I had read. They even provided a pair of slippers to wear in the room. It's quite unusual in the European hotels.
For me, there is only one thing that I didn't feel comfortable is: the toilet and the shower are separated. There's only a glass curtain between the room and the shower. I was so afraid that the water might flow everywhere and wet the room carpet. I had to be very careful everytime when I took shower.
Furthermore, I would like to suggest Hotel Lancaster to provide free Wi Fi for their guests cos' charging Euro3.5 for 24 hours is not that much. Why not just free ;-) ?
Anyway, I would definitely stay there again when I visit Milan in the future.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank cliffieHongKong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Greek first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2011

I went to Milan for two nights on 2 Nov 2011. Because of delays and an enforced change of plan, I didn't arrive at the hotel until 11:45 and the night receptionist was extremely helpful and efficient. He made me some food and coffee and gave lots of good advice for getting around. (I'd never stayed in that part on Milan before) The hotel is in the Arco Della Pace area about 15 minutes walk from Cadorna station and near the tram stop for 1 and 19 trams. Room and bathroom both very nicely decorated and very comfortable. (Nice touch, nowadays when you can only carry limited liquids in hand baggage, they provide both liquid soap and shower gel/shampoo for you.) Breakfast was plentiful with a good selection of foods, served with freshly made coffee, tea etc. The bill was less than expected too, as I had charged food and drink and the minibar during my stay. All in all a great place to stay. More like a **** than a *** hotel.

Room Tip: Paid for a single but got a double with a huge "letto matrimoniale" bed, It was a back ro...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 5 November 2011

I stayed in the Lancaster hotel in april with my sister and mother when we visited Milan for a citytrip. We booked a room with 3 beds (one single & one double). The room was very nice, big enough for 3 people. Bathroom was ok, with shower and nice toiletries to use.

The person working at the front desk was so friendly and welcoming, we immediately felt at home. He drew us a map and gave some information to get around Milan, he was very helpful. It is a small hotel, which i like. The hotel is located in a more quiet area, so rooms were silent (there was however some noise in the hallway from guests at night but that's to be expected in a hotel, i think). We even had a little balcony overlooking some neighbouring houses.
Had a good location too, about 15 minute walk to the centre (you can walk through a big park, very nice) and there are trams / busses closeby too. We came from Malpensa airport via Cardorna station which was closeby the hotel (we walked).

Breakfast was great: big selection of fruit, bread, pastries (they were still warm ! The nutella croissants were to die for...), eggs, juices, coffee, cheese,...

Overall we loved our stay at the Lancaster and i would definitely recommend !

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2011

My mum and I booked this hotel for three nights simply because the reviews on Trip Advisor were excellent. We therefore had high expectations for this place......

I will start with the positive: The hotel is in a good location, with several tram stops located close by and a 5-10 minute journey into the heart of Milan. The hotel sells the tram tickets too, whether it be a return ticket or an all day travel pass, which means the hassle is taken out of trying to fathom out the Milan system.

There is a chap who works on the main desk called Maurice, who is extremely helpful and recommended to us where to go and places to see that were off the beaten track. He even went so far as to draw on our map, the best routes, and places to stop for lunch!

The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The breakfast was excellent with quite a lot of choice - even the coffee was nice and I'm a tea drinker!

Ok, now for the negatives.......when we arrived, we were told what room we were in, handed a key and given directions to our room. When I opened the door I was pleasantly surprised...that was until I saw two open suitcases, clothes strewn about the room and a laptop, sitting open o the desk. We had clearly been given the key to a room that was already occupied. Thankfully, the people who were staying in that room were out, otherwise that could have been an extremely awkward situation!

The second issue we had with this hotel was the attitude of the one of the desk staff (a female). When we left the hotel one morning, we were told that we had not handed over the 'voucher' for the hotel which we were issued when we booked. I explained that I didn't have a voucher, to which I was offered the use of the hotel's computer and printer. After locating the confirmation email received when booking, I printed same and handed it to the female. She said this was not the voucher they required and that we should check the email again. I said we would do this on our return. I was then advised that I would be charged for printing the first voucher (2 pages) and any subsequent paper we would use.....despite the fact that the hotel had demanded that we print off this information!

I again checked my email upon returning to the hotel that evening to find the elusive voucher. The woman who worked on the desk decided that she would stand over me whilst I was checking my emails to ensure that I printed off the email!! She then spoke to me in what can only be described as an accusing tone, saying that we 'must hand over the voucher'. Her manner towards us was unacceptable, certainly as we were paying guests!

The moral of the story is, if you do decide to stay at the Lancaster Hotel, double check that the key they give you on arrival is the correct key, and print every last thing you have to confirm your stay is paid for!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Obmaroam
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We only stayed here for 1 night and we enjoyed our stay at the Lancaster. It is about a 30 minute walk to the Domo, but it is a safe and nice walk. You can also take the tram which is around the corner from the hotel and catch the #1 which will take you to the heart of the city.
Check in was quick and the staff was extremely friendly. We were shocked by the size of our bathroom! It was huge in comparison to the room! It had a tub, stand up shower, 2 sinks and everything was very clean. They give you complementary toiletries and I thought a nice touch were the Lancaster slippers that were provided. Those little extra things make a big difference. Breakfast was decent, but not outstanding. I don’t have any real complaints about this hotel. If something was bothering me while I was staying there, it couldn’t have been that huge of an issue, because I can’t remember it now!
Great value, decent location and a wonderful staff. If I were on the same budget, I would stay at this hotel and again and recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Stayed on 14th and 15th October. Hotel is diffcult to find from Linate Airport, we took the shuttle bus to central station (5 Euros each) and then metro...green line to Cardrona Station (1,5 Euro each). You need a NBR 1 Tram but it is difficult to say how to find Hotel...suggest you take Taxi from Station which cost us 5 Euro.
Hotel welcome excellent and room and facilities very clean and organised. Staff friendly and helpful. Taxi to town is around 7 Euro and is an easy walk of about 25 minutes through a large park. Weather was great and park very busy with all types of people and events.
City is good to get about, good sites...Milan Castle, Duomo is fantastic worth looking around inside but you have got to go to the top (Lift available....10 Euro each..... but a must) and we had tickets for Ballet in La Scala which was a great experience.
Bar in Hotel OK, prices good but a bit quiet...great gin and tonics before you go out in evening. Great restaurant nearby..... La Taverna...real Italian food with nice atmosphere and great service at sensible prices...many locals use it.
Breakfast is cereal, boiled eggs, croissant and rolls with meat and cheese and jams.. Great coffee!
Altogether great hotel near to the action but at more sensible price than those in centre. Would recommend!

Room Tip: %th floor was where we stayed overlooking rear of hotel...small balcony and we found it quiet and no...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
tel aviv
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We stayed only for 1 night and choosed this hotel because we needed an easy parking place for our rented car. The location was perfect, as we could park just on the street with cheap cards. The hotel is very nice, well located , close to a beautiful park and as said in other reviews, in walking distance of the Duomo. Nice, clean room, very nice bathroom, WIFI for 3-5 Euro for 24 hr. Good breakfast and very helpful staff!
We would definitly recomend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple