If you are after a good value hotel in Milan and don't mind not staying in the Centre of the City, then the Lugano is certainly worth considering. It is situated in a back street near Lambrate train station which is just 4 stops on the "Green" Metro Line 2 from Central Station (when you leave the metro train, turn left and use the back exit to the station which is just 2 minutes walk from the hotel). There are 2 supermarkets within 5 minutes walk of the hotel and some of the airport express coaches also stop near by which is useful.
The hotel does not look much from outside but the inside appears to have been freshly renovated. The staff were friendly and spoke very good english and the rooms that I saw, although small, were clean and seemed to have been newly furnished. I understand that the rooms on the top floor are let out to users of "Hostel World.com" and reviews on that website suggest that those rooms are much smaller and may have older furniture (but with lower prices to match !). However, unless you are intending to spend a lot of time in your room (in which case why come all the way to Milan), the normal rooms seem perfectly fine
If you are paying the normal rate, then a small buffet breakfast is included in the price but don't expect too much (tea/coffee, orange juice, Coissant, yogurt, cornflakes, cold toast, fruit etc). Hostel World customers only get a Coffee & Coissant in with their price. Hot drinks are available from reception at other times at reasonable cost.
A few points to be aware of...
- Although the hotel is situated on a side street, there seemed to be a lot of traffic using it as a rat-run. The rooms are not double glazed so if you are a light sleeper, ask for a room at the back.
- The reception of the hotel is actually in the basement which is only accessible from the road by stairs. However once inside there is a lift to all floors.
- An internet terminal is available at reception, but it costs 2 euros to use for just 30 minutes;
- During a 4 night stay, my room was only made up twice - this may be because I was late leaving on 2 mornings but whilst it did not worry me, it might upset others;
- The room I was in did have an air-con unit in it but the instructions looked complicated so if you think that you are going to need it, then ask at reception how to turn it on.
All in all, I think that with prices at less that 50 euros, the Lugano offers good value for money and I would certainly be happy to stay there again. However if you can find a good quality hotel for the same price nearer to the City Centre, take it !
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, HostelWorld, Priceline, Agoda, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and Hotel.de so you can book your Hotel Lugano reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lugano Hotel Milan