“Location ideal for visitors to Bocconi ..”
Review of Hotel D'Este

Hotel D'Este
Ranked #218 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Ithaca, New York
“Location ideal for visitors to Bocconi ..”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

.. and that's the best thing going for this hotel (in addition to the excellent housekeeping staff).
Mid-range hotels in Milan tend to give less value for money than other places in Italy, considering that fact this hotel was good-enough.
However, it was not ideal for an 8-day stay (no coffee-maker/electric kettle in the room and they would not allow the use of an iron).
The breakfasts are generous but average in quality. The staff is cordial and warm.

Room Tip: The rooms next to the elevator are not a good choice (e.g. #509)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

I am a frequent traveller from London and can thoroughly recommend Hotel D'Este. Efficient check-in, good staff, clean rooms with excellent air conditioning and cotton sheets with a very high thread count. The Continental Breakfast was good with lots of fresh fruit on offer. Travel to centre took 10 mins on the tram (€1.50 ticket). Like staying at a big chain but better value. Shame no gym.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank James F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

While the staff were very friendly and helpful in getting taxis, the hotel is located at least a 30 minute walk from the main "sights" of the city including the duomo, teatro, and shopping. Rooms were fine, slightly larger than expected for a single efficiency

• Stayed April 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My husband and I stayed for a long weekend. We had a comfortable, quiet and very clean room overlooking a nicely planted courtyard at the side of the hotel. Throughout our stay all the staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very good and freshly made tea and good coffee were served (and second cups offered). On the Saturday evening I had an 'incident' with my contact lens causing my eye to become extremely sore and swollen. Having telephoned my optician in England I was advised to have it checked either by an optician or at a hospital. By this time it was 18.30hrs! On explaining the situation, the lady receptionist sprang into action, she found a local optician that was open until 19.00hrs and was willing to see me immediately and then she ordered a taxi which arrived in a couple of minutes. The receptionist even came outside to speak to the taxi driver in person to ensure he knew exactly where to take me. I cannot praise the helpfulness of this woman enough when I was feeling stressed and anxious. The hotel is extremely comfortable and well situated but it is the staff who make the real difference. Hotel D'Este is a hotel we would have no hesitation in recommending to our family and friends and we would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a side room away from the road which was quiet and we could open the window.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Madrid
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This hotel looks like it has seen slightly better days, but it is very conveniently located if you are visiting the Bocconi University area. It is within walking distance to more touristy areas such as the Duomo. I had a single room and a single bed. This may be inconvenient to people used to having large beds, but I found mine very comfortable. I struggled a bit to get the temperature in the room right and the AC was a tad noisy, but the major inconvenience was that there was only one plug available. The bathroom was clean, as was the room. Overall, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank bgosma
Redwood City, California
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Hotel was clean, comfortable Reception staff was very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was fine. Room was small but sufficient.Hotel about 15 minute walk to duomo with many good restaurants nearby. Internet was fine. Would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Louise32956
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This hotel is close to Bocconi University, so if you have a conference there, this is probably where you want to stay. I found my room very comfortable...big bed with comfy mattress, big bathroom, and a big closet with safe. There's not a ton of extra floor space in the room, but this is an urban environment, so I'm not sure why you would expect that. Further, the room had large mirrors everywhere and great lighting choices...making it easy to get dressed and put on make-up. My free wifi was fast and the room was quiet and peaceful.

The front desk is always staffed, and I felt very safe in the hotel. I enjoyed the bar and lobby area. The free breakfast is easy and decent. One morning I missed the free breakfast by a few minutes (jet lag), and I went down to ask where I could go for a cup of coffee. The man at the front desk asked if I just wanted coffee, and then he told me to take a seat in the lobby and he had someone from the kitchen run me up a shot of espresso. I'm sure that's not standard procedure, and I don't recommend you count on it...but it's indicative of the kind service I received during my stay.

Downside of the hotel is probably location...it's great for the university, but it's not near the major tourist attractions and it's not near a metro station. I walked everywhere (which I appreciated...to help me not gain weight while enjoying Italian food and drink!), so I didn't find this too limiting. I could get to the Duomo square area in about 20 minutes.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room with strong wifi...they put me near the elevator (previous review said wifi...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business