“Very good service”
Review of Hotel D'Este

Hotel D'Este
Ranked #212 of 426 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 28 October 2010

The hotel is nice, rooms are clean (but not so big, and you will hear some noise from the road). There is a good breakfast and wifi connection is free. The staff is excellent. A rather good value for money. If you need to park your car there is a garage very close to the hotel (a bit expensive).

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank JerryVenice
There are newer reviews for Hotel D'Este

Reviewed 15 June 2010

I was in Milan for a conference in July 2009, and the hotel that Bocconi University had been the D’Este. I, in retrospect, am very glad they did. I flew into Zurich Airport, and having lost my tickets to Milan, had to purchase them again from an extremely unpleasant vendor. I was confronted by an armed policeman (by armed I mean semiautomatic rifle), so understandably by the time I got to Milan I was rather grumpy. Thankfully, the check in at the Hotel D’Este was short and painless although I had to lug my luggage up a flight of stairs before being able to get it into the elevator.
The hotel has clearly undergone a refurbishment since the time the pamphlet they sent me was printed, because the rooms were much more modern looking rather than the dated interiors I had seen. The room, with a look best described a brown-mellow, had a comfortable (queen?) bed, with a pull-out couch, a number of sockets, a minibar, a bathroom with shower and bidet, and most interestingly, a walk-in closet. The window blinds were controlled by a switch, which was a nice touch.
One of my favorite parts of the hotel was the breakfast room- like most European hotels, they only serve breakfast, and it’s what we Americans call a “continental breakfast”. There was a wide variety of cold cuts, pastries, rolls, cereals hot and cold, fruits, and juices. The main waiter there is a wonderful guy named Max, who remembered what kind of coffee I ordered by the second day. Once, when I overslept and missed breakfast, he got whatever they had left downstairs and personally served me in the bar. A great guy who exemplifies the care the staff takes of its patrons.
And they are great. The breakfast room flooded once, so they moved everything into an adjacent conference room and served breakfast there. My minibar fridge broke down (I was storing a leftover pizza and some drinks) and they were prompt in coming and fixing it. They even reheated said pizza for me (and I suspect in the oven.) The woman staffing the concierge even helped me with my Italian on a number of occasions.
The hotel is a good 20-25 minutes walk to the Duomo, I should add, but that didn’t bother me when I planned to stay days out in the city.
Yes, it’s on the pricey side, and I had to check out once the university stopped paying for the room, but it’s a great hotel with even better staff. I would recommend it to anyone.

It seems that the review “ideale anche per famiglie” had the same room I did, so I suggest you look at those pictures.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank RoundWeGo
Reviewed 1 January 2010

We found ti hard to find a hotel in Milan for our honeymoon after splurging in Venice! This hotel is fine, good-sized rooms, nice breakfast, helpful staff, but it is a fair walk from the city centre. We are both keen walkers, and found it a long way on a hot day. Also, there are not many restaurants locally. Public transport is good: find the train/tram/bus maps in the free tourist paper and you can get around easily enough. We stayed three nights in Milan and enjoyed it, but two would have been enough.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2009

We stayed in this hotel for 1 night last month. After an all night flight from Singapore, then a lengthy bus/taxi trip through rush hour traffic, we reached the hotel just after 9am. We were delighted to be told that our room would be ready in a few minutes (no extra charge). The very helpful desk gave us all the information we needed for getting to the main square (the hotel is a lengthy walk from the Duomo, but is on a main tram route, so we found it very convenient). There is an excellent supermarket just down the street, and several restaurants nearby. Our room had a quirky but pleasant decor, and was clean and spacious. It faced the street, but its double window system meant there was no street noise. The breakfast next morning provided a good choice of dishes, and a nice touch was the cappucino made to order, rather than the machine variety that seems to be ubiquitous in Italian hotels now.
Overall, while it is not inexpensive, it is a hotel that I would certainly rate highly, and I would readily return.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JenaC
Reviewed 10 June 2009

I stayed at Hotel D'Este for two weeks in May 2009 when I was visting Bocconi U. I highly recommend it. The hotel is just a few minutes away from Bocconi and in the middle of a neighborhood with tons of restaurants, bars, and stores. The hotel staff is courteous and speaks English well. The cleaning service does a good job and is punctual. The internet connection is realible and fast. The breakfast presents a nice choice of items with excellent service, and is open until 11 am. There are various free newspapers in the lobby. There are special rates for stays associated with Bocconi. If you are visiting Milan as a tourist this may not be the best place, as the center is a 20-30 minute walk away, or a 10 minute taxi ride. However, if you order a taxi at the lobby it will be there within a few minutes.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Elserino
Reviewed 21 August 2008

I recently stayed at this hotel for work. The rooms are very very small. I know that European hotels are usually small but I had a single room and found the rooms to be tiny. The breakfast was decent. The location is not in the center of town but is close if you are visiting Bocconi University. If I stayed in Milan again, I would most likely choose a hotel closer to the center of the city.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Jerseycitygirl07
Reviewed 6 October 2007

We spent one night here while apartment hunting in Milan. Staff is extremely courteous, rooms are comfortable, breakfast is good and included with your room and best of all, there is free wireless internet in the lobby.

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank LuvSLO