“Pretty much what it says on the tin”
Review of Hotel Corallo

Hotel Corallo
Ranked #360 of 426 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 7 nights, a full week while at a conference. It's about a 25 minute walk from the conference center (once you figure out Milan's streets). There is easy access to a street car that has a straight shot to the Duomo, but no easy way to get to the Metro from the hotel.

The lobby check in/reception area is stylish and when we checked in, a little early, the front desk staff were able to accommodate. I really appreciated that because it gave me a chance to nap after an overnight to Italy.

The room itself was tired. There was a heavy plastic blackout-blind on the outside of the window, and until I figured out how to lift it, it gave the room a really gloomy cast. That said - once I was rested, navigating the window coverings wasn't an issue. The decor was old and shabby, and the floor tiles seemed kind of dingy, but overall I think it was clean but old.
I had a bathroom with a very narrow tub and attached shower head. Showering was a bit awkward, but again, the bathroom was clean and had all the basics covered (plus a bidet and what I think was a heated towel rack). There was sort of WiFi, but it was very spotty, and I essentially behaved as if there wasn't internet at the hotel.

The beds were fine, and I slept well until about 6 am, at which point it sounded like beeping from construction equipment started. This happened every morning, and I never actually slept through to my alarm. On the other hand, I don't think the construction is the hotels fault, and it was easy enough to sleep through the night.

I know other reviews disparaged the breakfast, but I thought it was fine. There were croissants (chocolate croissants if you got up early enough) white bread, nutella, jams, butter, cold cereal, milk, OJ, yogurt, spreadable cheese, and a sandwich grill for toasting the bread. As well there was a made-to-order coffee (espresso, cappuccino, americano, whatever) which spoiled me for Starbucks. It was more than I would have bought for myself for breakfast if I'd had to grab a pastry and coffee on the go, and it was a decent start each day.

The front desk staff was generally very good, but there was a single guy that had either just started (and didn't know a lot about the area) or wasn't much interested in helping. For example, when I asked how the conference center he wasn't much help - although he did eventually pull up a free map for me and leave me to my own devices, which was good enough. The others were helpful when asked, and never made me feel unwelcome.

tl;dr

Serviceable hotel, especially if you're only in the room to sleep. Decent breakfast, generally helpful staff, and fine base of operations from which to go to a conference or tour Milan.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank KimzSendai
There are newer reviews for Hotel Corallo

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We spent 3 nights in this hotel
12 - 15€ from central station

The rooms are cosy but adequate if there to sleep.

Breakfast is typical Italian breakfast, cereal, fruit juice, coffee or tea, yogurt, cold meats, cheese, toast and croissants, jams etc.

Great restaurant in 5min walking distance was the Melabianca, we ate here more than once.

Tram 12 from across the hotel takes you into duomo and Lanza

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kylie L
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Here we are in Milano and I have to say that this Hotel is fantastic. The rooms are not huge but adequate for a 4 star, very clean and the service is excellent. The Owners assist you in what ever way they can and will even go as far as booking a trip for you. If you do not speak Italian, we don't worry, they speak very good English. It is pretty close to Il Duomo and La Galleria via the tram which is just across the road and only costs 3.00 euro. The trams run until midnight and it a safe area. Really good reasonably priced resturants within walking distance as well.

Room Tip: Those who like more than one pillow, should ask at reception. The staff are very willing and will pr...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We enjoyed a very peaceful, short stay in Milan and spent two nights in the Corallo hotel. The staff on reception were always polite, spoke excellent English and were really helpful. The hotel inside is nicer than outside and the reception area and breakfast room was clean, tidy and modern.

Despite what other reviewers have written on here, we found our room to be a very good size (room 131). The bathroom was very clean and everything worked perfectly, with a good supply of hot water. We would have loved a balcony, but we were at least able to open the large windows and let the Milanese sunshine in (and to be fair, we didn't ask for a balcony so if we had done, we may have got one!).

Breakfast was fine, cereal, fruit juice, coffee or tea, yogurt, cold meats, cheese, toast and croissants, jams etc.

There are a couple of really good local restaurants within 5 minutes walk on Via Mac Mahon. I could eat at the Melabianca every night and not get tired of it. There are probably more but we were only there for two nights, sadly. There are also two decent size supermarkets (Billa is the larger) for water/wine/snacks etc. There is also a rather gorgeous cockerell (yes, that's right a cockerell) who is virtually resident outside the supermarket with a dog for a best friend (as well as their owner).

From Milan airport take the free shuttle (coach) to terminal 1 (go outside terminal 2 and you can't miss the sign that tells you where the coach leaves from). Catch the Malpensa Express (train) to Milan Cadorna station. The ticket is 12 Euros (only buy a return if you're coming back the same day as they only seem to sell day returns). Remember to drop your ticket into the ticket machine to have it time-stamped before you get on the train. Simply having a ticket isn't enough, you need to validate it in the machine (which is at the top of the escalator to the platforms). To get to the Corallo, exit the station at the front entrance and walk left around Foro Buonaparte and catch the tram at Lanza and get off at Via Mac Mahon/Caracciolo. Make sure you buy the tram tickets in advance, too, as you can't get them on the tram. Pick up tickets for 1.50 each at any of the Tabbacchis or news stands. The lady near Lanza tram stop speaks excellent English and is very helpful! Again, you need to validate your ticket once you get on the tram, by inserting it into the red/yellow time-stamper...just having a ticket isn't enough and you do have to stamp it. From the moment it's stamped, you get 90 minutes travel and can get on and off as many trams or Metros as you need to.

We travel in Europe quite a lot and loved Milan. We'll definitely go back and would definitely return to the Corallo. We thought it was excellent value for money.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 131 and it was a good size, but didn't have a balcony (if you want one ask for...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jimandsimone1990
Reviewed 17 March 2014

It was supposed to be closer to the city center, based on the description of the hotel.
Poor breakfast.
A bit noisy.
Do not expect high quality services but the stuff is ready to help you - guide you through the city.
Clean towels every single day.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
1  Thank Margarita A
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Located about half an hour walk from the main touristic objectives of the city, on a quite street, this little hotel is very pleasant, with clean nice rooms.
The staff is very friendly and helpful. They offer continental breakfast, meaning a modest but nice buffet.
One could find better sound-isolated rooms, but all in all our stay there was just perfect.

I would strongly recommend it to couples and families and whoever is seeking an unpretentious pleasant accommodation in MIlan.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HILLEBRA
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The location of this hotel is great. The number 12 tram which goes direct to Duomo is right outside. It is a residential area but has some lovely local restaurants, which are very Italian (most people in the local shops speak no english for instance). However, I was very disappointed in the hotel. The room was tiny - just space for the double bed (which was comfortable) and a desk. Nowhere to sit in room other than on the bed. No duvet - just a sheet and blanket. There was not a picture up on the walls or anything that came close to their description of it being 'elegantly designed'. I felt I was in a student hall of residence. The room was superficially clean but actually needed a deep clean, for instance the shower was dirty. The grouting in the tiny shower was black and rotting. The staff were ok -not overly friendly but answered questions when asked. We also couldn't get the shutter open on the window so it felt like we lived in a dungeon of darkness! So, great location but needs a lot of tender loving care.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple