“Good budget hotel”
Review of Hotel Corallo

Hotel Corallo
Ranked #359 of 431 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Although located a fair distance from the centre of Milan, the tram stop just outside the hotel took us right into the heart of the city. Our room was good and bathroom clean, however the wifi was extremely patchy and unreliable. Breakfast was a highlight and staff were friendly!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for just two nights, the room we had was small but clean and functional. There was a good AC system that worked well and the bathroom was clean. The staff on the front desk were very friendly and offered handy tourist information as soon as we arrived. There are tram connections into the centre of Milan but we chose to walk, it took maybe 45 mins - 1 hour minutes to the Duomo depending on how fast you walk. The breakfast was the usual croissants, cereal, yogurts, bread, meat and cheese. Also the little restaurant they have is pretty modern and a lovely place to eat.

I would say that if you are on a budget then this is a really good place to come, especially if you are only looking to explore Milan for a few days.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Steph S
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Staffs were helpful.
Budget hotel with average rooms
The hotel is little far from milan city centre and if you don't know Italian language, it is better to contact hotel for hotel directions. And if you are using public transport, suggest you check the tram timings because the frequency of tram is less/nil in early morning and late nights.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ananth_PR
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 7 nights, a full week while at a conference. It's about a 25 minute walk from the conference center (once you figure out Milan's streets). There is easy access to a street car that has a straight shot to the Duomo, but no easy way to get to the Metro from the hotel.

The lobby check in/reception area is stylish and when we checked in, a little early, the front desk staff were able to accommodate. I really appreciated that because it gave me a chance to nap after an overnight to Italy.

The room itself was tired. There was a heavy plastic blackout-blind on the outside of the window, and until I figured out how to lift it, it gave the room a really gloomy cast. That said - once I was rested, navigating the window coverings wasn't an issue. The decor was old and shabby, and the floor tiles seemed kind of dingy, but overall I think it was clean but old.
I had a bathroom with a very narrow tub and attached shower head. Showering was a bit awkward, but again, the bathroom was clean and had all the basics covered (plus a bidet and what I think was a heated towel rack). There was sort of WiFi, but it was very spotty, and I essentially behaved as if there wasn't internet at the hotel.

The beds were fine, and I slept well until about 6 am, at which point it sounded like beeping from construction equipment started. This happened every morning, and I never actually slept through to my alarm. On the other hand, I don't think the construction is the hotels fault, and it was easy enough to sleep through the night.

I know other reviews disparaged the breakfast, but I thought it was fine. There were croissants (chocolate croissants if you got up early enough) white bread, nutella, jams, butter, cold cereal, milk, OJ, yogurt, spreadable cheese, and a sandwich grill for toasting the bread. As well there was a made-to-order coffee (espresso, cappuccino, americano, whatever) which spoiled me for Starbucks. It was more than I would have bought for myself for breakfast if I'd had to grab a pastry and coffee on the go, and it was a decent start each day.

The front desk staff was generally very good, but there was a single guy that had either just started (and didn't know a lot about the area) or wasn't much interested in helping. For example, when I asked how the conference center he wasn't much help - although he did eventually pull up a free map for me and leave me to my own devices, which was good enough. The others were helpful when asked, and never made me feel unwelcome.

tl;dr

Serviceable hotel, especially if you're only in the room to sleep. Decent breakfast, generally helpful staff, and fine base of operations from which to go to a conference or tour Milan.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank KimzSendai
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We spent 3 nights in this hotel
12 - 15€ from central station

The rooms are cosy but adequate if there to sleep.

Breakfast is typical Italian breakfast, cereal, fruit juice, coffee or tea, yogurt, cold meats, cheese, toast and croissants, jams etc.

Great restaurant in 5min walking distance was the Melabianca, we ate here more than once.

Tram 12 from across the hotel takes you into duomo and Lanza

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kylie L
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Here we are in Milano and I have to say that this Hotel is fantastic. The rooms are not huge but adequate for a 4 star, very clean and the service is excellent. The Owners assist you in what ever way they can and will even go as far as booking a trip for you. If you do not speak Italian, we don't worry, they speak very good English. It is pretty close to Il Duomo and La Galleria via the tram which is just across the road and only costs 3.00 euro. The trams run until midnight and it a safe area. Really good reasonably priced resturants within walking distance as well.

Room Tip: Those who like more than one pillow, should ask at reception. The staff are very willing and will pr...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We enjoyed a very peaceful, short stay in Milan and spent two nights in the Corallo hotel. The staff on reception were always polite, spoke excellent English and were really helpful. The hotel inside is nicer than outside and the reception area and breakfast room was clean, tidy and modern.

Despite what other reviewers have written on here, we found our room to be a very good size (room 131). The bathroom was very clean and everything worked perfectly, with a good supply of hot water. We would have loved a balcony, but we were at least able to open the large windows and let the Milanese sunshine in (and to be fair, we didn't ask for a balcony so if we had done, we may have got one!).

Breakfast was fine, cereal, fruit juice, coffee or tea, yogurt, cold meats, cheese, toast and croissants, jams etc.

There are a couple of really good local restaurants within 5 minutes walk on Via Mac Mahon. I could eat at the Melabianca every night and not get tired of it. There are probably more but we were only there for two nights, sadly. There are also two decent size supermarkets (Billa is the larger) for water/wine/snacks etc. There is also a rather gorgeous cockerell (yes, that's right a cockerell) who is virtually resident outside the supermarket with a dog for a best friend (as well as their owner).

From Milan airport take the free shuttle (coach) to terminal 1 (go outside terminal 2 and you can't miss the sign that tells you where the coach leaves from). Catch the Malpensa Express (train) to Milan Cadorna station. The ticket is 12 Euros (only buy a return if you're coming back the same day as they only seem to sell day returns). Remember to drop your ticket into the ticket machine to have it time-stamped before you get on the train. Simply having a ticket isn't enough, you need to validate it in the machine (which is at the top of the escalator to the platforms). To get to the Corallo, exit the station at the front entrance and walk left around Foro Buonaparte and catch the tram at Lanza and get off at Via Mac Mahon/Caracciolo. Make sure you buy the tram tickets in advance, too, as you can't get them on the tram. Pick up tickets for 1.50 each at any of the Tabbacchis or news stands. The lady near Lanza tram stop speaks excellent English and is very helpful! Again, you need to validate your ticket once you get on the tram, by inserting it into the red/yellow time-stamper...just having a ticket isn't enough and you do have to stamp it. From the moment it's stamped, you get 90 minutes travel and can get on and off as many trams or Metros as you need to.

We travel in Europe quite a lot and loved Milan. We'll definitely go back and would definitely return to the Corallo. We thought it was excellent value for money.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 131 and it was a good size, but didn't have a balcony (if you want one ask for...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple