“An excellent hotel all round!”
Review of Hotel Florence

Hotel Florence
Ranked #131 of 430 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed here with my wife and two friends for two nights. The staff were very helpful with booking by e-mail and it's some further queries.

The hotel was well located for Linate Airport (13 Euros one way in a taxi) and nicely located on a crossroads next to a pleasant little piazza. The city centre is about a 20-30 minute walk away but trams pass the hotel and the nearest metro station (Loretto) is only 5mins walk away straight down one road then 5 mins on the metro to town.

The staff were exceedingly friendly, helpful and professional. Their English was excellent and they were very polite with my limited attempts at Italian.

Our room was basic but clean and providing everything we needed. Having not requested one or paid any extra we were delighted to get a balcony room (so did our friends) which although not offering an amazing view did overlook the street and piazza and was lovely for fresh air and people watching.

Beds were comfortable. Bathroom, again, basic but nice and 100% functional. The windows and curtains kept out all the noise and light so we were entirely comfortable.

The breakfast was a bit basic but nice enough and certainly acceptable. The hotel has a bar that serves drinks but no actual bar area to sit so you sit in the lobby on the sofas if you have a drink waiting for anything.

Thus hotel was excellent value with a nice feel to it, good location and outstanding staff. I thoroughly recommend it. We found nowhere online for less and ones that were comparable seemed nowhere as nice looking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the piazza.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I arrived at the hotel via subway and exited at the wrong exit. It’s not the hotel’s fault, it’s just the way the subway system is here in Milan, you exit and if you aren’t already familiar with the way the streets are laid out, you might miss your exit point or get confused. The hotel is about a good two long city blocks away from the Loretto metro station and you see a park on your right when you are getting close.

The park is right in front of the hotel, so there is always some activity going on there during the day with children and adults, and in the evening a basketball game or games in general may be going on until late in the evening. I had room 128 facing the park, and I had a little patio, so I was able to open the door/windows and appreciate the cool evening air, but the noise can be disturbing, The first night I was there, someone was on their cell phone right outside the hotel below my window having a very spirited discussion late in the night. I was able to hear everything.

Auto, bus and tram noises are also very audible, so if you are a light sleeper, you might want to consider this and factor it in.

Otherwise, the hotel is perfect. The room was large with a wide comfortable bed and nice linens; it was elegantly appointed for a single room; everything was in proper working order; and the breakfast (which is included) was more than adequate. Wi-fi is also free, but I experienced a few problems with it going down or not operating at all for several minutes while I was using it or trying to use it. I could not get reception in the breakfast area on my iPad. When it worked, it was fast and worked well.

If you take a walk along Buenos Aires - one of the main boulevards that runs from/near the hotel, you can walk all the way down to the Duomo is about 25 or 30 minutes. It’s quite a nice experience for introducing to you to the shopping part of the city. Otherwise, I would recommend a 24 to 48-hour pass (they don’t do the 3-day, etc.) I was able to get to several places in one day by using the 24-hour pass, and it is good from the time you validate it to 24 hours later.

If you have to leave the hotel to make an early flight at Malpensa, be aware that the metro does not open until 6 am on weekdays (not sure about weekends), and the Malpensa Express available on the day I left only began at 6:35 am. I just made my flight from the airport at 8:35 am even though I left the hotel at about 5:30 am. (The Malpensa Express usually takes about 35-40 minutes to make the trip from Pta. Garibaldi to Malpensa — you may want to note that when you buy a Malpensa Express ticket it is good for a long period of time - ask the ticket sellers, they will give you a specific window when it can be used - so you can buy it early.)

I really liked the Hotel Florence. It was convenient and had everything I could possibly need or want. The staff were very nice as well.

Room Tip: Room 128 is right above the entrance and faces the park. If you open your window/door facing the pa...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Hotels in Milan know how to get expensive and Hotel Florence is a very good choice. Value for money is difficult to beat. Position is good. It is close to Loreto metro station. It's safe to walk at late night. It features really clean room and a good breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I am shocked that this hotel has so many positive reviews!! You all are being VERY generous! My husband and I just didn't have the same experience. We stayed at Hotel Florence for 3 nights this May. First, please let me say that we stay at budget hotels frequently. But we couldn't stop asking ourselves how this hotel was a 3-star...

When we checked in, I had to provide my invoice from Expedia proving that I had pre-paid the reservation. Luckily, I printed it off before we left. Usually I don't. The front desk agent couldn't find us in their system without it.

We were assigned a room on the main floor in the back of the hotel. Our window faced a busy street, therefore it was very, very noisy at all times of the day (people yelling, sirens flaring, motor bikes vrooming, etc). Maybe rooms are quieter on the higher floors?

The room itself was clean, but was not at all comfortable. Everything was outdated. No light fixtures, just light bulbs. The air freshener in the room was too strong. The room had an A/C unit, but it didn't work. The bathroom had a frosted window on the door, no privacy. It also had a dirty ceiling (not actually dirty, it just desperately needed a paint job). The shower stall was the tiniest we've ever been in!! We couldn't even bend down to wash our feet. Had to slide open the doors in order to stretch, therefore water got everywhere. There was no shelf in the shower to put our shampoo and soap either. Had to keep our toiletries in the sink for easy reaching.....

On the second day, we didn't receive room service because we didn't leave our room key at the front desk! The maid therefore assumed we had stayed in our room all day.... If the maid assumed this, why didn't she knock on our door to check? We did not leave a DND sign on the handle.... It was very frustrating. The agent at the front desk practically blamed it on us. He didn't even offer clean set of towels, we had to ask.

When we checked out, we again had to provide our Expedia invoice as the front desk agent (a different person) asked us to pay in full! He didn't ask how our stay was, didn't say thank you.

The location of the hotel was good (5-10 min walk to Loreto metro station, 20-25 min walk to Milano Centrale), and there was a very yummy gelato place across the street. We checked out the complimentary breakfast one morning, but it didn't look very tasty, so didn't bother. We were happy to leave this hotel when we did. 3 nights was more than enough for us. Maybe if we were only there for 1 night, we would have felt differently.... but we will not stay here again if we ever go back to Milan.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor... the ground level rooms were too noisy!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Great location, near metro!!
Lovely breakfast and helpful staff.
Clean and quiet! Will back for sure !!!
If you looking a good hotel for few days in Milan that's perfect choice for price/quality :)

CHeeRS!

Room Tip: Top floors with balconies with city view!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kino1984
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Small, friendly hotel in quiet location but only minutes walk away from one of the main shopping areas Buenos Aries.

Also located close to Loreto Metro station on the Red and Green lines.

Typical continental breakfast and although rooms on small side the hotel is perfect if visiting Milan for a few days.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

早餐相當豐盛和多樣化,非常棒!

缺點是最近Loreto站的出口沒有電扶梯,
扛著大行李趕車就會比較辛苦,

但整體來說,算是物超所值。

This's first night of our trip.
The staffs here are so friendly and helpful.
and the room is comfortable to relax, clean and quiet.

You can have all you want to eat in the breakfast Bar,
We love the Latte here!

Only a little weak point is the wifi not always available,
and If you have a big baggage,
you might lift over hand by yourself from the metro Loreto.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Florence_staff, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Florence, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Sir,

thank you so much for your nice rewiew! So glad that the entire stay has been confortable, relaxing and practical for your tour around the city.
A special thanks from the staff of the breakfats room for appreciating the cappuccino and milk!

We hope that for your next trip in Milan you'll choose our hotel again, it will be a pleasure for us welcoming you again and do our best to satisfy your needs.

Best regards