“Great night stay”

Hotel Florence
Ranked #117 of 427 Hotels in Milan
“Great night stay”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Great place to stay, Alex was great at the Front Desk, he was very helpful to us. Great Gelateria just across the street, only minutes via taxi to train station. This is where we will stay whenever in Milan.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Florence_staff, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Florence, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your nice review.
We'd really love to have you again as our guest very soon!

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Malvern, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We were very happy with our two night stay and found that we generally agreed with the previous positive reviews on Trip Advisor. From check-in to check-out we had no problems and would recommend others who wish to stay outside the center of Milan. In all honesty, though, first impressions (to us first time Milan visitors) of the many graffiti painted buildings around the hotel gave us slight concern. But any concerns disappeared once we walked around and talked to several people and saw that the neighborhood is comprised of families, professionals, restaurants, shops, other hotels. Nice, old-style, urban architecture (lots of balconies and character) in the entire area. While I still think of the greater area as a bit "gritty" it is safe and has a great neighborhood feel. You get this sense when you walk through the park across the street from the hotel and see everyone outside. We met several front desk hotel personnel: each one of them very friendly, helpful, and polite. Our car was parked in the secure, gated lot behind the hotel ( only four cars can fit, so call and reserve a space if you will arrive by automobile). We were in Room 120, a spacious, high ceiling corner room in the back of the hotel. The room has a balcony which was a fantastic feature that we used often. Road noise was not an issue at all since the balcony door and window are solid and well sealed. Along with a ceiling mounted, remote controlled air conditioner, room comfort was easily achieved. Bed mattresses were comfortable, TV functioned well, plenty of outlets, room lighting was adequate, there is a room safe, Wi-Fi worked well, the bathroom was sizeable, hot shower water was ample. This hotel is the type of hotel where you leave the room key at the front desk when you go out of the hotel for sightseeing or dinner. Our only "complaint" was the quality of the breakfast and the tight quarters of the breakfast area. There is a "bar" to buy drinks that you can bring to your room or have staff bring it up. Housekeeping was good; slight worn carpets in stairwell; overall, not a problem for us. We consider this hotel a very good value for Milan.

Room Tip: Must have a balcony if the weather is good!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Keystone_Traveler
Dear Guest,
we remember very well your stay at our hotel and also for all of us staff members has been a pleasure to work with people educated and curious as you and your sons.
We are pleased yopu have caught the typicality of our neighborhood lively and at the same time quiet, with architecture dating back to the 30s that makes it distinctive.
Thank you for your opinion on the whole very positive.
It would be a pleasure to have you back as our guest in the future. Come and visit us during the Expo 2015 , Milan will be even more beautiful and full of interesting events.

warm greetings

Silvana
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The hotel is very close to the metro, so access to all sights in Milan is easy. The single room I had was basic, but had all the necessary amenities, was spotlessly clean and represented excellent value for money. Breakfast is good, with a variety of pastries and savouries. The afternoon receptionist was particularly friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Hotel_Florence_staff, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Florence, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Guest,

alla the Hotel Florence Staff thanks you for the nice rewiew and the positive feed back of your stay.
Hope you'll choose us for your next stay in Milan.

exeter
Reviewed 7 July 2014

a nice hotel, very courteous. good size room. clean. polite staff. close to metro and close to the centre :). a nice balcony with a view over the park. good quality toiletries, towels. peaceful. Good sleep, nice firm beds etc

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

what else to say...? Nice rewiew!
The entire Staff is gratefull for your positive comment and we are really happy that you appreciated everything about your stay in our Hotel.
We'll be very happy to have you as our guest in the future and give you even better service.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 29 June 2014

First the negatives: I think this was the smallest hotel room I've stayed in; and I had an unpleasant incident with a rude woman at reception. I had returned to the hotel after a day's exploration of Milan and mistakenly asked for the key to the wrong room. The receptionist gave the guest's name and I misheard her and said "Yes". The key didn't fit and when I returned to reception I was shouted at. I have never faced this level of rudeness in a hotel before. When I raised the issue on checking out, I got a blank look.

As to my room, the double bed took up most of it and the bathroom was separated by a double-width concertina door. There was an airconditioner but no remote control to operate it; and the ceiling fan was noisy. The plants in the window box had been dead for years. Other than these issues, the hotel is nice enough. Breakfast is good, the neighbourhood is OK, if a little run down, and other staff are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Avoid the female receptionist.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank RT111
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed here with my wife and two friends for two nights. The staff were very helpful with booking by e-mail and it's some further queries.

The hotel was well located for Linate Airport (13 Euros one way in a taxi) and nicely located on a crossroads next to a pleasant little piazza. The city centre is about a 20-30 minute walk away but trams pass the hotel and the nearest metro station (Loretto) is only 5mins walk away straight down one road then 5 mins on the metro to town.

The staff were exceedingly friendly, helpful and professional. Their English was excellent and they were very polite with my limited attempts at Italian.

Our room was basic but clean and providing everything we needed. Having not requested one or paid any extra we were delighted to get a balcony room (so did our friends) which although not offering an amazing view did overlook the street and piazza and was lovely for fresh air and people watching.

Beds were comfortable. Bathroom, again, basic but nice and 100% functional. The windows and curtains kept out all the noise and light so we were entirely comfortable.

The breakfast was a bit basic but nice enough and certainly acceptable. The hotel has a bar that serves drinks but no actual bar area to sit so you sit in the lobby on the sofas if you have a drink waiting for anything.

Thus hotel was excellent value with a nice feel to it, good location and outstanding staff. I thoroughly recommend it. We found nowhere online for less and ones that were comparable seemed nowhere as nice looking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the piazza.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
New Mexico
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I arrived at the hotel via subway and exited at the wrong exit. It’s not the hotel’s fault, it’s just the way the subway system is here in Milan, you exit and if you aren’t already familiar with the way the streets are laid out, you might miss your exit point or get confused. The hotel is about a good two long city blocks away from the Loretto metro station and you see a park on your right when you are getting close.

The park is right in front of the hotel, so there is always some activity going on there during the day with children and adults, and in the evening a basketball game or games in general may be going on until late in the evening. I had room 128 facing the park, and I had a little patio, so I was able to open the door/windows and appreciate the cool evening air, but the noise can be disturbing, The first night I was there, someone was on their cell phone right outside the hotel below my window having a very spirited discussion late in the night. I was able to hear everything.

Auto, bus and tram noises are also very audible, so if you are a light sleeper, you might want to consider this and factor it in.

Otherwise, the hotel is perfect. The room was large with a wide comfortable bed and nice linens; it was elegantly appointed for a single room; everything was in proper working order; and the breakfast (which is included) was more than adequate. Wi-fi is also free, but I experienced a few problems with it going down or not operating at all for several minutes while I was using it or trying to use it. I could not get reception in the breakfast area on my iPad. When it worked, it was fast and worked well.

If you take a walk along Buenos Aires - one of the main boulevards that runs from/near the hotel, you can walk all the way down to the Duomo is about 25 or 30 minutes. It’s quite a nice experience for introducing to you to the shopping part of the city. Otherwise, I would recommend a 24 to 48-hour pass (they don’t do the 3-day, etc.) I was able to get to several places in one day by using the 24-hour pass, and it is good from the time you validate it to 24 hours later.

If you have to leave the hotel to make an early flight at Malpensa, be aware that the metro does not open until 6 am on weekdays (not sure about weekends), and the Malpensa Express available on the day I left only began at 6:35 am. I just made my flight from the airport at 8:35 am even though I left the hotel at about 5:30 am. (The Malpensa Express usually takes about 35-40 minutes to make the trip from Pta. Garibaldi to Malpensa — you may want to note that when you buy a Malpensa Express ticket it is good for a long period of time - ask the ticket sellers, they will give you a specific window when it can be used - so you can buy it early.)

I really liked the Hotel Florence. It was convenient and had everything I could possibly need or want. The staff were very nice as well.

Room Tip: Room 128 is right above the entrance and faces the park. If you open your window/door facing the pa...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo