“A Great Small Hotel for the Budget Conscious”
Review of Hotel Florence

Hotel Florence
Ranked #124 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Auckland
“A Great Small Hotel for the Budget Conscious”
Reviewed 20 June 2010

We thought Hotel Florence was a great option for the price we paid. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and really give this place a homely feel. Our room was small with an extremely small bathroom however we expected this and we found bathrooms small everywhere we stayed in Italy. We had a small balcony overlooking the park and street which was a lovely unexpected bonus. Breakfast was typically european and we loved it for this - salami, cheese, spreads, bread rolls, croissants, cereal and yoghurt along with fruit juice and freshly brewed coffee.

The metro is only a short walk away and easy to use and buses and trams stop outside the hotel. The graffitti over the outside of the hotel was not a good first impression but don't let this put you off - you will soon discover it is everywhere in Italy and the welcome inside immediately puts you at ease and you realise yes you did make a good choice.

Thank you to all the staff at Hotel Florence for making our first stop in Europe for 22 years a great one.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 12 April 2010

I stayed at this hotel as part of a small group of annual travelers (18 this time) to Europe. Our travel agent made the arrangements. My room was on the 1st floor (2nd in US terms) right above the intersection. My single room was very small. The luggage rack was jammed lengthwise between the wall and the desk which meant my 24" pullman suitcase could barely fit between and be opened. Bathroom was very compactly designed w/shower stall, bidet, toilet, and large-ish Euro style sink. Bathroom "door" was a bi-fold type that one would usually see on a closet. Bath and room generally worn w/chips and some scratches. In apparent effort to save money, all hallway fixtures on motion-sensors. This is fine when 2 or more are walking down the hallway but as a woman walking alone I found this frightening. Despite 80 degree weather outside, radiator was generating heat in my room. Breakfast room was too small for our group and other guests.

Here are some good points. Hotel is across street from park with playground equipment for kids. Many nice and/or affordable restaurants nearby. My room had a ceiling fan. Hotel workers were friendly. Breakfast workers were friendly and worked quickly to replenish supplies. Breakfast featured: 2 lunchmeats, 2 sliced cheeses, various breads and sweet rolls, 2 kinds of juice, water, hot chocolate/coffee/tea/cappucino/latte, yogurts, 2 kinds cold cereal, etc. Hotel lobby had 2 internet stations @ 2.50 Euro for half hour. I saw no bugs in my room or in breakfast room and no bed bug stains on mattress. Hotel is on tram line which can be noisy but is quite convenient.

Despite the location of my room just above the intersection w/traffic signal, the windows (when closed) kept out much of the noise. However, due to noise level of trucks and motorcycles keeping this room's windows open at night and being able to sleep would be impossible even with earplugs.

• Stayed April 2010
Sofia
Reviewed 15 March 2010

Me and my wife have stayed twice in this hotel. The price is acceptable, the location is good, close to the metro stations, so traveling around Milan is easy. The personnel is helpful and polite. The room was cleaned every day, the towels were changed, etc.
The breakfast was not very rich...but well that is not such a big deal. I will definitely recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Portugal
Reviewed 19 February 2010

The hotel is located on a quiet residential neighbourhood of Milan city. It have some public transports near. Unfortunately we had a room with a broken Air Conditioned but our friends did not have the same problem as us. We requested to change the room, but the reception mentioned that the hotel was full and it was not possible. The room has basic furniture but it was clean and spacious. The breakfast was basic with some options.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Lexington, NC
Reviewed 29 October 2009

Was at Hotel Florence/Milan for 1 week. Lovely, clean facility. Staff couldn't have been more helpful or friendly. Room spotless and nice sized. Great bathroom. CONVENIENT LOCATION. Only a few minutes from Loreto Station, easy to find; great connections to public transport. Breakfast was limited but good.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Rochelle, Illinois
Reviewed 6 December 2008

After spending the worst night of my life at a hotel one block down, the Hotel Florence was a relief. They were cheaper, cleaner and nicer than our other hotel. First of all the front desk personnel were very friendly and were really trying to help me get the best deal they could offer my family. Since I didn't have a reservation I was very glad just to find something at the last minute.

It is a quirky little hotel. We were given rooms 162 and 164. You have to take the elevator up to the 3rd floor, then down some stairs then up a flight of stairs. This might have bothered some people but I just love the rooms we were given. I called them the tower rooms, they had so much personality. I felt like I was a princess in the tower. The two rooms at the top had wood beamed ceilings, a balcony and nice roomy bathrooms. SInce I was travelling with my kids, I loved it that we were the only ones on that floor so my kids weren't bothering other people too much. These bathrooms had heated towel racks, which came in handy with all the rain and snow.

The rooms were very clean and a great value for a 3* hotel. After our first night, we had to change rooms because there was a leak on the 5th floor and they had to shut the water to our rooms. It happens. They were very nice and changed us to rooms 122 and 124. These rooms didn't have the wood beamed ceilings but were more than adequate. They look like they get more use because you can just take the elevator to them. But they were both very clean and adequate. Room 122 has a huge balcony and 124 has a small balcony. (We didn't use them because it was cold).

The breakfast was a great typical Italian breakfast. They make coffees and ciocollata calda for you. They have croissants, breads, cheeses, salami, mortadela, yogurt, cake, fruit, cereals, juices. It was more than enough for us even though it is not the typical american breakfast. (Remember you are in Italy).

The location is very close to the beginning of Corso Buenos Aires and the metro takes you anywhere in a few minutes. We just walked to the metro and then downtown because it was very cold and either raining or snowing when we were there.

We also went to a fair on Corso Buenos Aires on Sunday afternoon. It was very fun seeing booths filled with different types of salami, cheese, cookies, fruits. Very Italian.

I forgot my memory cards at this hotel and they are mailing it to me. I am very grateful for that because it has all the pictures we took in Rome and Florence. Very nice of them to do that.

If I ever have to go back to Milan, I would definetely stay at the Hotel Florence and I would recommend it to all my family and friends. It is a great value for the money and it is run by great people.

• Liked — The people who work at the hotel and the wood beamed rooms
  • Disliked — It is not in the center of town but very easy to get around.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank pandabear6
Vilnius
Reviewed 20 October 2008

We spent 4 nights in the Florence hotel, Milan. There is a nice small Aspromonte park in front of the hotel. The location is perfect if you plan some shopping in Corso Buenos Aires or some travelling by train from Milano Centrale 'cos you can easily walk to these destinations. However, the hotel is not really in the city centre (about 40 mins (on foot) to Duomo) with a metro station LORETO (lines 1 and 2) nearby, which is convenient to reach Duomo, Milano Centrale, Cadorna or Fiera.

We had a double room on the second floor (no 122) with a balcony and outdoor furniture (inner garden view). The room was rather small, but cosy with a shower, TV, minibar and telephone. It was cleaned every day (towels changed also). The only imperfection - the shower head didn't work properly, it sprayed water all around, but not on the head :)) you constantly have to adjust it until water reaches the body...

Hotel staff at the reception was very polite and willing to help. They speak fluent English, though maids who we met didn't :) The girl working at the bar was also very kind.

Breakfast was sufficient - sweet brioches (buttery, marmalade or chocolate), rolls, butter, cheese, sausage, cereal, cake, yogurt, juice, water, milk, tea, for any kind of coffee you are welcome to ask the girl at the bar.

Warning for light sleepers - obviously there's an ambulance route along Via Vallazze to Casa di Cura (a private hospital).

Anyway, I am a heavy sleeper - ambulance was not a problem for me (though my husband was annoyed by the noise at night) :)
Nonetheless, we really liked the hotel, it's location, staff and atmosphere.

• Liked — Location, staff, brioches
  • Disliked — shower head not working properly :)
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)