“favourite hotel in milan”

Grand Visconti Palace
Ranked #37 of 430 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 12 December 2008

Grand visconti palace hotel in milan, Bea u tiful hotel in a nice area and only 3 stops away from the duomo . perfect for xmas shopping has the hotel was decorated wonderful. rooms were exceptionally large with all the best fittings and bed linen which was changed daily, The staff were most helpful , and breakfast a very grand affair , also very reasonably priced for such a grand hotel in the city will definitly be going back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,912)

Reviewed 14 June 2008

I stayed during the Milan furniture festival so demand was high, but the cost of the room was very expensive - c.£400 per night. The stay didn't start well after our rooms weren't ready when we turned up at 2pm. We were told flatly that they would be ready at 8pm!! After stating that this wasn't acceptable given that check in was 2pm we were told to sit in the lounge until everything was settled. We were there for over an hour and I had to keep reminding the staff that we were still waiting.

The room was nothing special - especially bearing in mind the price. The hotel really needs to sort out things like the in-room dining ordering process. The menu is on the TV - a gimmic which just doesn't work. And it took me about 5 minutes to find the number to call room service.

The gym was surprisingly well equipped and opening hours were convenient.

I did have a problem with room service breakfast. About an hour late due to the lifts not working. Problems happen of course, but this just wasn't well communicated to me. The response was that it was "on its way", which turned out not to be true. And the end product was very disappointing given the cost of breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2008

I was really taken with this place, subject to two small issues which I'll get to in a minute. This is either a new building which has been very convincingly designed to look older, or an old building which has been extremely well maintained. Either way , it's a great place to be. The whole decor is elegant and stylish, but everything is in good condition and looks freshly done.

Outside there's a beautifully designed garden and conservatory where we had the coffee breaks during the conference I was attending there.

The two gripes are room size / shape and the hotel's location. My room was single, and though beautifully appointed was pretty small. From the floor plan it looks as if this is the standard room size so a double would be a bit of a squeeze. In addition, the building has bay windows but each window is split between two rooms with the walls dividing the rooms run into the bays. This gives the impression of a larger room having been sliced in two. A small point but it feels odd and is not in line with the overall quality of the building.

Secondly, the location is poor, being a mile or two (as far as I could tell) from the centre, and in a not particularly attractive neighbourhood.

Gripes adise, really very good overall - an excellent place for a conference.

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed 1 April 2008

We have just returned after a 4 night stay. We were some of the first to suffer from the mess at Terminal 5 at Heathrow. There was little that the desk staff could do but they were kind and took our details and kept a check on the situation for us. They were helpful in pointing us to where we could get essentials just 5 minutes walk away. When our luggage eventually arrived the next evening it was immediately delivered to our room.

All of the staff were unfailingly friendly, helpful and polite unlike many modern business class hotels where you often find abrupt, aloof and officious staff, especially on the desk , but I saw none of that at the Visconti Palace. Although there was a business element to our trip we were also there as tourists and we felt very welcome.

The room was excellent with a vast, comfortable bed, and a lovely, well equipped bathroom. We were on the Viale Isonzo so, although the double glazing is good, you might find it a bit noisy as the road is busy all night, in which case you should request an inner facing room or one facing down the other side road. Breakfast was decent with a good range on offer and plentiful coffee. It has a decent bar and a good but pricey restaurant. The restaurant is tricky to find but not impossible and it's fun to roam around the hotel anyway. The building is vast but easily navigable and has a lovely garden. We didn't explore the pool and gym.

It's a bit of a distance from the centre, 45 minutes walk or about 15 minutes by metro which is a few minutes from the hotel and is 3 stops from the Duomo for the main tourist attractions and 4 or 5 from Montenapoleone for the highest of high fashion. A taxi would get you downtown in less than 10 minutes. There are plenty of restaurants locally at all levels and we found a good local trattoria and an excellent fish restaurant about 5 minutes walk away. There is also a huge hypermarket, as mentioned above, selling everything from wine, food, cheap clothes for when the airline has lost your luggage, to refrigerators.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2008

Recently on my first trip to Milan; stayed at the Visconti together with my wife. I must say - the front desk staff must have been one of the most unfriendly around. Have a devil may care attitude where they don't even acknowledge the presence of a guest to the hotel to attend to when we check in. Have to wait for a long time to be served. Even when being served, the front desk staff will show you this totally couldn't be bothered attitude and will roll her eyes at you when you ask for further questions pertaining to the hotel service offerings.

The hotel was very hot and stuffy - the room temperature was set at 25.8 degrees. When we complained about the situation and wanted to turn on the air-conditioning - was told that the hotel does not allow this during winter period! - hence had no choice but to open the windows to allow air to circulate the room and make it at least bearable to stay in.

The bed was hard and so are the pillows.

The porters - were also not helpful at all in wanting to assist us with our luggages.

Location wise of the hotel is not too bad.

Certainly leave a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
FabD, Rooms Division Manager at Grand Visconti Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2008

Dear Guest,

I very much appreciated your review.
As always, we would like to learn from particular "bad experiences", therefore I would like to discuss your comments further, if you would like to.

Please contact me on (+39)02540341or write to fabio.dellea@grandviscontipalace.com. I will be glad to reserve some time to analyse the quality of your stay at the Grand Visconti Palace.

Thank you and best regards.

Fabio Dellea

Reviewed 2 March 2008

The Grand Visconti Palace is a breath of fresh air on the Milan hotel scene, which generally consists of small, poorly maintained, overpriced properties with cold service. Since I go to Milan fairly often on work, after suffering through many unpleasant experiences, I found the Grand Visconti an oasis -- with beautiful, calm, spotlessly clean rooms, the visual relief of a green garden, a fabulous free breakfast (fresh-squeezed orange juice!), and pretty good, if not gushing, service. The front desk staff were pleasant and efficient. There were some excellent restaurants nearby -- e.g. Alice & Dongio, and the hotel restaurant itself was outstanding but pricey.

The hotel layout is a bit odd -- it meanders -- and getting to the hotel restaurant on the fifth floor, or to the spa, is a bit of a challenge, but whoever I met was quite eager to help me find my way -- a cleaning woman actually led me all the way to the spa, a good 5 minute walk.

Finally, contrary to all the discussion about how far the hotel is from the city center, I found it to be a 15 minute subway ride and a 20 minute cab ride from the Duomo, and a 10 minute cab ride from the Navigli area, which is where the street nightlife in Milan (for what it is worth) is. This is partly because Milan is not a city with a buzzing street life -- all the good stuff happens behind closed doors. Walking around at night, even in the famed Brera area, you could be in a graveyard, even on a weekend. You really have to know where to go, and there, the hotel staff were most helpful, and made all the reservations.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 January 2008

I have just returned from a business trip to Milan and stayed in the Grand Visconti for one night. The initial impression of the hotel is very positive; it is spacious, elegant and somewhat grand. Arriving mid evening, about 9.00pm, I found the reception staff to be stern and unwelcoming and the initial room assigned 'very smoky' despite being a non-smoker. The second room assigned was better. There are no tea/coffee making facilities - an aspect that is surprising in a hotel of this stature. There was not even complementary water and the hotel charge a 'small supplement' of 7 Euros for room service. There are few shops in the vicinity of the hotel where bottled water, soft drinks etc can be purchased. The room service pages had been removed from the services booklet and there is no separate menu. The room was exceptionally hot and the air conditioning non-functional (the heat was set to 25.8 degrees C). The whole hotel is very hot. The room was so hot that it made sleep extremely difficult (I awoke three times with a headache). The bathroom is elegant but lacking in the essentials that are available in most large city hotels (although you can request these separately). Even the paper handkerchiefs were very small. The breakfast (included in the room price) is adequate but I had to request extra coffee as the pots are so small. I then had a 30 minute wait for a taxi (promised within 5 minutes). This caused me to be late for the business appointment that had been the object of the trip.

All in all a very disappointing experience and one that I shall endeavour not to repeat.

Stayed: January 2008