Sina The Gray
US$175
US$161
US$141
  • Breakfast included
WORLDHOTEL Cristoforo Colombo(Milan)(Great Value!)
US$193
US$551
US$501
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsboutique hotelgreat locationdepartment storevictor emmanuelqueen size beddowntown milanogalleria vittorio emanuelesuper hotelcentral locationstayed only one nightfew metersvery nice staylovely roomupon checkdefinitely stay here againrooms are smallvisit milan
FilterAll languages
A TripAdvisor Member
Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2006

Is this a nice hotel.....? Sure it is.

But when your paying 440 Euro's a night I'd expect a bit more service than what were were given at the Gray Hotel. One certain receptionist behind the counter was exceptionally rude the whole 4 days we were there. It was an inconvenience to call a taxi, she actually tapped her foot repeatedly on the floor in anger as we checked out. Another exampel, I asked for an iron and an ironing board to be sent up so I could iron my suit for a meeting the next morning to be told it was forbidden for me to do it myself and some one would come and collect my suit and iron it for me.... the bill for ironing my 2 pce suit was 30 Euro's. I was disappointed.

Stayed: May 2005
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 March 2006

I desperately wanted to love this hotel, being a fan of chic, hip hotels but this let me down in many areas.

The location is indeed superb just minutes away from il Duomo but along with the central location comes noise. Not just normal chattering, chuck out time noise from people - noise from the cleaning teams that clearly make this area the sparkliest tourist area in Europe. The machines start up at midnight and seem to continue to and fro, to and fro until at least 3am. I am positive it was only one side of the hotel that suffered (my side) but basically rooms 105 and neighbouring 104 and 106 will have had equally sleepless nights so make sure you ask to NOT have these rooms. Totally ruined my entire stay.

The rooms themselves were nice although a tad dated considering they are 330 Euros a night. I have stayed in much better and funkier for less.

The bed was comfortable, the bathroom stunning and the lighting lovely. So what was wrong?
- TV was rubbish with just one channel in English! How can they assume there are more arabic tourists staying there than English??
- the DVD player is a nice touch but you can't hire any DVD's to watch
- there is no pay-per-film TV - a real shame considering the awful TV channels
- the room service menu was very poor
- the windows are HUGE which (a) let lots of noise in and (b) let the cold in even with the curtains pulled.
- the shower is beautiful looking but when you have the side-blasting shower heads on the water just leaks out of the shower and into the bathroom which does not drain away - I used all my quote of towels up to soak the water up!
- there are only 5 hangers in the wardrobe!

On top of that the bar , whilst lovely, is soooo tiny you can only fit about 15 people in it and because they do not stop passers-by popping in, you can often find you can't get in at all because of tourists.

I know the TV is a silly thing and theres enough city to get out and see, but if you are there on business and want to just spend a few hours doing nothing soaking up crap TV, you cant!

A real shame - visually stunning but SO many down sides. Eventhough work paid for this I will not be coming back.

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled on business
8  Thank MrJ
Reviewed 4 March 2006

I was traveling to Torino, Italy from Los Angeles with my 19-year-old design school student daughter and decided on a three day stop over in Milan. I selected Hotel The Gray for its location and its "Schrageresque" atmosphere in order to appeal to her sensibilites and to my own need for a "bit of fun" in hotel accomodations. The Gray did not disappoint on any account. While it is not as obtuse as some of the Schrager hotels I have had the pleasure to visit, The Gray had the right playfulness I was looking for, as well as a perfect location to explore the cities cutural and shopping high points during a short stay.
Our room was immaculately clean and inviting, however it did need a bit of "touch-up" in several areas from average wear and tear. The advantage to this street location room was the nice view of Milan on the go and the ability to open the windows for the sounds of a European city and fresh air to stream through. Even the trash pick-up in the morning didn't disturb because it was lovely to hear a city breathing as opposed to the oppressive silence of living in a Los Angeles bedroom community.
The staff at The Gray is superb. Lorenzo, Celia, and Rosario whom I had the pleasure to encounter manage the front desk and conceirge services with extraordinary patience and pleasantness. Each one had excellent recommendations for dinner and shopping and pursued La Scala tickets with enthusiasm for me, even though in the end I had to pass on the arrangements. Lorenzo and Celia made sure I was able to take my daughter to an area where shopping was both affordable and vaired among the up and coming designers away from the D&G and Prada and Gucci mainstays. Best of all there is an H&M and Zara footsteps away from The Gray's front door - what more can a mother traveling with a young design student ask for! Only a glimpse at The Last Supper but the haste of our trip precluded me from making advance reservation and no tickets were available unless we waited on line for hours. (If you are going to Milan, book this visit along for your travel plans - 33 years ago when I first saw The Last Supper no one had a great interest in it and you could walk right up and touch it if you pleased.)
While some may think this is a pricey hotel (it's very expensive), it was worth it for so many good reasons I have no trouble recommending it for anyone looking for a samll hotel with a sense of whimsical luxury.
Justine Medeiros
Westlake Village, California

3  Thank Justine M
Reviewed 2 January 2006

Stayed at the gray from december 30 untill januari 1, and it was perfect. First of all I asked for an upgrade at arrival and they showed me 2 different rooms to choose of. room 303 was awsome : 2 levels : ground floor with bedroom and a plasma screen, then very design stairs to go to a mezzanine style second floor with a superb bathroom with a shower, and out of the bathroom there is a jacuzzi and a fitness trainer. On the wall you have a big plasma screen (double the size of the one in the bedroom). The staff was very friendly and helpfull day and night. The location is the most central you can have : directly on the duomo and gallery Vitor Emmanuele II. Restaurant Le Noir in the hotel is cute (little design restaurant). I recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank molenbeek
Reviewed 17 August 2005

Location was great...room comfortable...great bar/restaurant...and, staff very helpfull!! My husband and I just came back from a trip to Italy. We spend a couple of days in Milan, where we stayed at the Gray hotel. We loved the hotel!! It is centrally located (a block or so from the Duomo) which makes it very convenient. There are also lots of great restaurants nearby. Contrary to other reviews, we did not find it noisy at all (I was a little worried about that because I am generally very easily bothered by noise when I am trying to go to sleep). The room we stayed in was simply georgous (although a little on the small side)!! The decor was modern, the bed comfortable and the bathroom had very nice amenities. The staff was very helpfull whenever we had questions. Overall, I would recommend this hotel. In fact, I am looking forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2005