“Rude rude rude!”

Holiday Inn Milan - Garibaldi Station
Ranked #119 of 430 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed in an executive room which was great, light, all mod cons, tea coffee etc, no bathrobes though! Room was lovely breakfast included and was continental as expected nothing to complain about here. Pretty good location once you work out the metro but if you're looking for any sort of customer service forget it unless you're Italian or speak the language, in which case you get the best service possible. On arrival there were 3 staff, who seemed to be serving no one inparticular but didn't bother to ask if they could help, when my partner asked if we could book a taxi and tickets for a show the hotel refused and told him to do this himself. The final straw however came on the final day when waiting to leave for the airport and we asked the front desk if we could get a drink from the bar as had been waiting there for over 10 minutes with no service? The response was simply 'I am not the batman, you need to ask him!' Needless to say we left with our luggage over an hour early and got drinks at the station. It may be affordable but personally I'd pay the extra euros for someone to be nice to me, never again.

Room Tip: Go exec if you can
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
HolidayInnMilan, General Manager at Holiday Inn Milan - Garibaldi Station, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Tori 942,

First of all I would like to thank you very much for your comments. I am deeply sorry for what has happened in our Hotel during your last stay . Your disappointment is understandable, but I can assure you that this is not our usual standard of service. I'm new to the position of General Manager in this hotel, and your comments give me the opportunity to further analyze the whole process at the reception and to take the appropriate actions in order to improve our service.
For this reason I kindly ask you to contact me in order to have more details to deepen the problems you reported. Here is my personal email : direzione@himilangaribaldi.com or, if you prefer, you can call me at the number :
+39 02.6076801

Once again, please accept our apologies and we hope to have you again as our guest.

Gerardo Borraccino - General Manager

Holiday Inn Milan Garibaldi Station

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Terrible time when checking in... Was the reception understaffed? Saw staff trying to attend to 3 guests and being rude to one of them... Because it's the Italian way? I don't think so... My friends were really close to screaming at the guy... Definitely colored the trip negatively...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
HolidayInnMilan, Assistant Manager at Holiday Inn Milan - Garibaldi Station, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Dear Witchez13,
I'm really sorry for the bad impression you've had checking in at our hotel.I assure you that we always try to make every guest feel welcome and at home.
As we need to investigate about what happened that day, I kindly ask you to get in touch with me at my e mail address: fom@himilangaribaldi.com or by phone +39.02.60760801.
Once again please accept our apologies and I hope to have the chance to welcome you again at the Holiday Inn Milan Garibaldi

Andrea Britti - Assistant Manager

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Perfectly fine for my trip to a nearby office.

My room was an accessible room and was therefore larger than average. The only difference I could see is that the room was bigger and that the shower was designed that you could wheel a chair into it.

Slept well, no outdoor noise. There was some corridor noise from 5.30am.

Breakfast was simple but good. There was fresh bread, eggs, juice, cheese, cereals, coffee/tea.

I arrived at 1am and left straight for the office, but from what i could see the surrounding area seemed very quiet.

When I return to Milan for pleasure, I think I would choose a hotel closer to Milano Centrale as this one felt a little way out for shops, restaurants etc (based on the taxi ride!). However it is right next to a tram stop, so it would work if it was the right price.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Location is OK, tube & train links about 10 min walk, trams pass hotel, so getting around city is good.

Area is like most of Milan is covered in graffiti, why I really don’t understand it some people call it art, I think it makes places look scruffy and dirty.

Hotel is well maintained and clean & tidy.
Reception area may be small when busy but staff are very good and keep people moving.
Smoking still allowed in rooms so make sure you request correct room type. Rooms are good sized with most things travellers require available, minor disappointment was no bath. Bar again like reception small but was lacking any atmosphere, saying that service was good and attentive.

Biggest disappointment was the breakfast, I’m aware that most of Europeans dine on continental style breakfasts but if they can’t provide a proper hot style English\American type breakfast please don’t do it badly. Take a leaf out of the Lite version of Holiday Inn (Expresses) and offer buffet only. Bacon is not the same as warm ham cut into bacon sized slices, scrambled egg should not be like a thick soup it should be semi solid lumps and hot, as for the sausages they were more like marble shaped meatballs. Really for 15 euros they need to get it right or change the breakfast menu to something they can do well.

Would I stay again, yes depending on room rate, but I would not bother with breakfast.

Room Tip: If you don't smoke ask for non smoking room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Milan - Garibaldi Station, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Dear Fishing-Badger,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am delighted of your positive feedback on our hotel location and rooms. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. However, it is regrettable that our breakfast selection did not live up to your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed here one night after flying in from London, and before moving to another hotel closer to the Duomo. Used points and had a wonderful room with a nice bathroom. Nice breakfast buffet and very helpful people at the front desk. Would stay here again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2013

To get the hotel you can take the Express train from Malpensa Airport and then take a 10 min walk from the Garibaldi Station. Thus is a good place to stay at if you want to avoid taxis when arriving. The rooms are rather small, but function as they should. The breakfast was great with lots of choices. There are quite some restaurants in the neighborhood.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Milan - Garibaldi Station, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear johan6688,

First of all, we like to thank you for having chosen our hotel and we also like to thank you for having taken the time to share your valuable comment with us. Guest comments like yours are paramount for allowing us to focus our attention where guests’ feel it is necessary. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I stayed for 4 nights for business. The wifi worked well, the room was comfortable if small, and the breakfast was good. Around the corner in one direction are some restaurants and in the other, the train and Metro station. The staff were reasonably friendly and everything seemed clean.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business