“BEST location, great bar”

STRAFhotel | a Member of Design Hotels™
Ranked #62 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Location was amazing as it was on the doorstep of Duomo, the shopping centre and the general shopping area. We had drinks and apperitifs on the rooftop of the shopping centre and food there was great, as were the views.

Food: there is not a very good selection for breakfast and the area is extremely small however the bar makes up for this! Apperitifs at the bar were fantastic and definitely worth drinking here in the early evening!

Rooms were fantastic and what I would expect from a design hotel however the internet signal did not reach our room so if this is important, you may want to ask before being allocated a room. We were on the fifth floor.

Overall, a great stay and perfect for a weekend in Milan for convenience and style.

Room Tip: The higher the better, facing away from the square
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 December 2011

Definitely cool place to stay! stylish clean rooms, good breakfast, massage chair right in the room, cozy bar downstairs will definitely help to enjoy the stay in milano

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I stayed two nights in mid Nov at the Hotel Straf. The location is perfect! Easy walking to the Duomo, and all the shopping. Breakfast was very good. Lots to choose from! Our room was very clean, modern, and chic, with an excellent shower. Because of the extreme modern design it wasn't what you would call a 'warm and relaxing' room, but the bed was very comfortable! The front desk people were extremely friendly, polite and fluent in English. I would definitely stay at the Hotel Straf again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Located next to the Duomo, La Rinascente literally right at your doorstep and The Galleria a short stroll away. Montenapoleone, della Spiga about 10 min walk. I didn't find the hotel design as weird as some reviewers, just cement and metal (in the bathroom). Room was decent, bathroom rather small but still functional. Only gripe is the air conditioner that was facing directly at us as we sleep so we slept the other way. We weren't bothered by the noise from the bar, so I guess we must have had a quiet room. For a shopping and eating trip, this was the perfect place to drop our shopping bags and head out again for meals.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I decided to chose the Hotel Straf based on some of the more positive reviews on TripAdvisor and Frommer's Italy. I must say that I was generally disappointed. Location is faultless - right within the heart of busy busy Milan and within a stone's throw from the Duomo.

The hotel is generally modern, with a "cold, Zen-like" feel in terms of design. Expect your room to be mainly black to grey in colour all over. The bathrooms are stylish and minimalist but clearly impractical in terms of design. No shelves, small sink and the shower area has no door nor curtains so the water will splash everywhere on the floor if you are not careful when you shower.

The beds are however, relatively firm and comfortable and the sheets are clean and soft.

There is Wifi access throughout the hotel.

Breakfast was really very "basic" with a limited selection of fruits and breads and pastries and some cereals. The rest will need to be ordered and paid for additionally.

A real "unique" feature of this hotel is that they do not lend umbrellas, but ask you to buy them - for 10 Euros each!!! This must be the only hotel I've ever stayed in that does not provide umbrellas, and with the prices you pay for the room, you should expect more.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
StrafHD, Direttore at STRAFhotel | a Member of Design Hotels™, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2011

Dear SingaporeGUY10,

I would like to thank you very much, for sharing wih us your observations referring services at our Hotel.

I am aware of the truth of all you have noticed, however I would ask you to take the Design Style and the Hotel's conception in consideration. Referring the Breakfast Buffet, most of our customer are satisfied of what we propose, that is the reason of many returning customer to the Hotel, a complete "Buffet Breakfast of cold items, cheese, ham, salami, fresh creme fromage, ricotta and Italian Mozzarella. Referring Hot meals, we consider those menues dishes extras from the original Continental Breakfast, we should have served, therefore being charged.

We sell our Branded Designed umbrella, therefore apologize if we do not hire any for common use.

I hope that I will be able to thank you in person for the trouble you took to write to us and I assure you that, if you give us the chance, in the futre I will personally see to doing all I can to showing you around and see the hotel STRAF, from a different critic's view.

Best wishes,

Max

Reviewed 7 November 2011

I suppose the first warning sign was when we arrived at 4.00 p.m., got the key to the room, went upstairs and met a maid in the corridor who told us the room wasn't ready. Room was changed and 1/2 an hour later we were in. Decor is modern bordering on rank with mirrors everywhere to make the small space seem bigger. Tried to use the internet but the keyboard wan't working, tried to turn the AC down but that wasn't working either. Staff were surt and unfriendly and bar staff were positively rude, the latter seemed only interested in serving their mates. Bar stops serving at midnight (unless you know the bar staff!!!) and there is no residents bar. Noise in corridors at night was really loud and when we complained we were told so did a number of others (it was 3.00 a.m. by the way). Avoid.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank DRMster
StrafHD, Direttore at STRAFhotel | a Member of Design Hotels™, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2011

Dear Traveller DRM69,

first of all I want to thank you very much for your comment, I do my apologize if everything happened to you.

I hope, you could give us another chance and coming back again.

Best Regards

Max

Reviewed 19 October 2011

I have mixed feelings about this hotel, having stayed here many times on business. It is undeniably good value for money and the location is excellent. The modern, minimalist design may not be everyone's cup of tea but I love it - it's certainly preferable to the chintzy, stuffy interiors of most Milan hotels! The beds are comfortable, the room sevice menu is more creative and better than average, and the staff, generally speaking, are efficient and friendly. Some reviewers have complained about the noise from the bar, but I really like the hotel bar so this has never bothered me.
Now for the negative points. The hotel is often used as a veune for launches/shoots and, when this happens, the staff seem to devote all of their time to the visiting party whilst hotel guests are sidelined. Second, whilst the rooms are fantastic to look at, some of the design features are impractical and unreliable. I have spent many a happy hour trying to locate light switches, control TVs and air con systems and find the source of strange buzzing sounds! Last, the breakfast choices are rather limited.
But overall, this hotel continues to be my first choice in Milan.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business