“Excellent, just perfect to see everything Milan”

STRAFhotel | a Member of Design Hotels™
Ranked #60 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 18 November 2010

We had a really hard time deciding on what hotel to stay on, the more reviews we read, the harder it got. Finally we just decided to base our decision on location, and we are SO glad we did. The Straf Hotel is a stone throw from the duomo (giant church in the center) and right near restaurants and shopping. The hotel staff were really amazing compared to a lot of places we stay. They were friendly, spoke great english and seemed to really care about our happiness. The check-in process is fast and the room was great. Now I should tell you in all fairness, this is a design hotel, therefore it can be a bit 'cold' in appearance, a lot of contrasted colors and cement - but I loved it, it felt so modern and clean. But if you want the comfort of your parents living room, unless they are hipsters, you may not find that here. We got a massage chair in our room and a view of the street. The room has been described as confusing in other reviews, but I disagree - if you don't know what that button does, just push it - something will happen and the mystery will end. The doors to the rooms are hilariously blended into the walls. so at first you may walk right past your room, but once you see how the design works, it will cease to be confusing. The shower was amazing, it is the overhead rain style with great water pressure and plenty of hot water. We had no problems with noise, but if you keep the window open all day, mosquitos will find their way into your room without invitation - but you would find that anywhere in the center of Milan. The bar downstairs is a local hang-out, but don't let that scare you, the crowd it attracts is super stylish and respectful as far as Italians go (that's a joke, we love them!). Breakfast was basic but sufficient. The ONLY thing I wish about this place is that the bed was a bit softer, although I have found this a tough wish to grant outside the 5 star hotel world, at least in Europe. I highly recommend the Straf, it is interesting, clean, quiet and convenient - I couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
StrafHD, Direttore at STRAFhotel | a Member of Design Hotels™, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2010

Dear Tuesday949,

what to say "thank you again and again"!, we feel proud to receive such gratitude.
We hope your commenst will be a good reflex to others as advice and we do hope
to meeting you once again.

Please do not hesitate to contact me as soon as you can, it would be nice thanking you
personally.

Grazie di vero cuore!

Your max
hotel manager

Reviewed 13 November 2010

Firstly let me say, the location is indeed fantastic, extraodinarily close to everything - it is the only wonderful thing about this hotel. However we stayed here for 2 nights, and would never recommend this hotel for anyone.

Firstly they didn't seem to have our reservation - a bit worrying when you have prepaid the accommodation. I know this sometimes happens, but it is just so frustrating when you arrive somewhere after a flight and a taxi ride with a rude Milanese driver and no assistance with your luggage (pretty standard in most small hotels), and you then have to rummage around and find the paperwork or forward an email to prove that you are a legitimate guest.

Our room was OK - I'm not sure why everyone on here raves about how stylish the rooms are (they must not have stayed at many nice hotels?) - the reality is the rooms are spacious enough, but quite plain and lack character (very stark and bare) - our room was not inviting at all. And the "chic" bathroom everyone loves might have been trendy when the hotel was built, but an all-black bathroom in a hotel is, in my opinion, an excuse for filth. It was so dark in the shower that you could not tell whether it had been cleaned or not - perhaps thats the idea.

But the service at this hotel is what really lets it down. We had a number of negative experiences which left us loathing Milan and we couldn't wait to leave. Just after arriving, we decided to go out for dinner - so we needed to iron our shirts. Well, at the Straf, they apparently don't have *any* ironing boards. How bizarre..... oh but we were then informed that we could send our shirts to be pressed, at 10 euro each. How interesting. The catch? We wouldn't get our shirts back until the following day. So we went to dinner with crushed clothing.

That night we asked the receptionist to recommend a restaurant. We always ask hotel staff to recommend somewhere they would go to dinner with their friends, not somewhere where they usually send guests (the idea being you dine where locals dine, not in a tourist trap - normally this works really well). The restaurant she sent us to had just us, and 2 other tables, both of whom we saw at the hotel for breakfast the next morning..... The food at the restuarant was OK, but it was clear we had been sent there because the hotel and/or its staff receive kickbacks (I used to work in 5 star hotels, and this is extremely common practice - we used to get vouchers for discounts, free dinners, gifts, all sorts of things, as long as we sent our guests to a particular place).

The next day it was raining, so we asked for an umbrella at reception. Hmmm I'm seeing a common theme now, as we were informed that they did not have *any* umbrellas available for guests to use...... however if you would like to buy one for 20 euro, then actually they do have some umbrellas available. Now I fully understand why they may not want to give out umbrellas (I know, people steal them or lose them) - but hotels here in Australia have overcome this problem by placing a "deposit" charge on the guest account when they borrow an umbrella, which is refunded when the umbrella is returned. Pretty simple stuff guys..... but no, we walked around Milan in the rain.

On our second night, again we asked for a recommendation (thankfully we got the message through this time that we wanted to go somehere local, not touristy), and headed out the front door. We noticed the bar at the front of the hotel and decided to have a drink on our way. The complimentary tapas on the bar were a nice touch, but it would have been nice if the reception staff had told us about this - had we not discovered it ourselves, we would never have know. But now for the cream of the cream regarding service - we asked the bartender for matches to light our cigarettes. His response was one word - "No". So we asked again, perhaps he might have a lighter that we could borrow? Again, we received "No!" as a response (and believe me, it was literally a one word response!). Then we look over behind the bar, and there is a packet of cigarettes with a lighter on top of it, sitting there. Well it might have belonged to one of the bar-tenders.... except he appeared to be the only one on duty, so it must have been his! So we then had to walk back around to reception to get some matches from them, but of course they didn't have any either (come on, branded matches are advetising and cost peanuts, why don't you have any?!?! Too tight??) Eventually we were able to locate another smoker who was happy to light our cigarettes.

We will never return to Milan unless it is en route to somewhere else in Italy that is actually nice, and we certainly won't be staying at the Straf again - it is overpriced and their policies are obviously centred around bleeding the guests dry and making as much profit as possible. Perhaps thats the Milan way, but either way it makes us realise how lucky we are in Australia.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
StrafHD, Direttore at STRAFhotel | a Member of Design Hotels™, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2010

Dear Traveller Melbourne_Guys,

thank you very much for your comment, it is very important to consider every single points, even the stay's date, which is Januar 2010, it means 11 months ago.

We would like you to review all comments received in the meantime, from March 2010 till nowaday. The hotel has changed Management, in full 100%, and the operational matter, CRM, Welcoming, Departure standard, are completely different.

Allow me to consider your unlack in the "European Journey" you had, I have been checking your profile, and we are not the only hotel with a bad consideration of yours.
That's makes our life easier, sorry if I have some doubt...???(?), but the worst happend to You??? It still happen!

I would like to helping you in considering all bad matters as good option to try one more time, I would be amazed of welcoming and meeting you again, building together good policies and standards for good travellers and see if we can become an hotel, as you would recommend.

Looking forward to hearing you once more and again,

your max
hotel manager

Reviewed 18 October 2010

For the price you pay,I find it "silly" not to offer to your guests a free WiFi in the room. Rooms sure are very trendy,but not very comfortable. It should be a hotel at the first place.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen34438
StrafHD, Direttore at STRAFhotel | a Member of Design Hotels™, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2010

Dear Helen,

thank you very much for your review, I do understand your feed back and agree referring " Internet Connection", even if you could have booked an Internet Free package, including all cost of internet for the entire stay, room service extra charge service, free, upgrade upon availability.

I am afraid you did not find the room comfortable enough, I would love to know which one was, and helping me in doing some adjustment or try to solve the problem.

I hope with all my staff to meeting you back here, exceptionally me, I would like to assist you in the reservation and directing the right choice, with rate and comfortably mindeed.

All my best

Reviewed 18 October 2010

Just got home from a weekendtrip to Milan and a wonderful stay at Straf Hotel. The hotel met all our expectations:
* centrally located
* helpful and professional staff
* contemporary designed hotelroom
* excellent breakfast

The room was spacious, comfy and clean.
I know where I am going to stay when I visit Milan again...
Milan is really a fancy and good place to visit if you are looking for great shopping, nice people and good restaurants.

This weekend will be something to remember forever, a big thankyou to Straf Hotel and the staff!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
StrafHD, Direttore at STRAFhotel | a Member of Design Hotels™, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2010

Dear Theartist_Stockolm,

thank you very much again, all the staff is sharing your suggestion and we all together are greatful for the nice consideration in deed.

We hope to meeting as soon back in Milano, and personally welcoming you, hopefully we can have a drink together.

My best regards

Reviewed 17 October 2010

Best location, outstanding staff! What a beautiful hotel! Ohhhh the bed was so comfy! I cant wait to stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
StrafHD, Direttore at STRAFhotel | a Member of Design Hotels™, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2010

Dear Chrissos,

we would love to welcoming you back, dreaming and breathing the huge feeling we meet.
Hopefully you will be back soon.

All my best regards

Reviewed 13 October 2010

The hotel is perfecty located, very close to all the shopping areas, the Galleria and the duomo . We had a room with a massage chair , which I found very relaxing after traveling.Everything was very stylish and I'm still impressed by the bathroom.After returning from shopping we had a fruit press and some oranges in our room, what we appriciated very much.The beds are comfortable and it's great having the choice of two different pillows. The breakfast was lovely with several sorts of juices, fruits, cereals ham and cheese.
My favorite place in the hotel is the bar next door , with great music and full of people sitting outside ...very nice atmosphere and it seems the "place to be" for the locals.
We had a great stay in Milano and thanks a lot to the staff at the Straf for the very friendly and professional service.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
StrafHD, Direttore at STRAFhotel | a Member of Design Hotels™, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2010

Dear JuttaJ,

thank you once again, for coming, enjoiying, leaving and breathing our athmosfere.
Sharing such a consideration, it makes life easier and it is as a "sunshine on our days".

We do not have any spare word to enjoy the review, we would like to invite more and more
other times to coming over and stay with us.

I personally, do hope to share a nice breakfast with you, drinking an Italian coffe made by myself.

Grazie Mille

always your max

Reviewed 13 October 2010

Friendly & resourceful staff, trendy designed rooms, with one of the most popular artistic bar and the convenient location,I can say Hotel Straf has been the best choice after several other hotel stay in the center of Milano...
Also, the airport pick up limousine services included in the package are more than what I expected- helpful English speaking chauffeur, friendly recommendation of some good restaurants (which turned out to be true and great!).
I would love to recommend this hotel to all my friends who will visit Milano, especially those who like some special designed experience of living such as designers and architects!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
StrafHD, Direttore at STRAFhotel | a Member of Design Hotels™, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2010

Dear Michelle,

we do have such a gratitude and appreciation for the nice compliment writed, we have shared the great note with our official chaffeur and all the staff, that's become a very important add value, we want everybody to leave with big satisfactions and coming back with the same expectations.

Our propositive staff and group will always love to welcoming you and your family, back at your home and we do hope, it can be happen soon, that is why, I am pesonalising the invitation to you, advicing me at your next reservation, since I would like to welcoming you by myself.

Grazie mille Sig.ra Michelle.