“overpriced, tiny rooms for $1000. nice garden for eating in”

Bulgari Hotel Milano
Ranked #21 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Not the most fabulous fixtures and disrespectfully small room for the rate. Nice bathroom with garden view, but really, only puddle-shallow folk would believe that a roman jeweler who's now dead 50 years and evolved into a mass merchant of overpriced sh--, translates into fabulous and well thought out hospitality. Waited so long to check in, I just went downstairs into the (how do we next rape your wallet) scenester spa for shower, and they still weren't ready when I returned. coolest things were the ferrari's parked there, owned by Italy's leading fashionistas and tax dodgers.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Caribsampler

Reviewed 12 September 2011

While the service could be better, the outside lounge was truly polished, stylish and comfortable. I know comfort and style doesn't always go hand in hand, but there was a nice balance here. Lots of off-white couches to relax on and gaze at the stars above while you sip on a drink from the expansive cocktail/champagne/wine list. Nice soft music in the background while you admire the well dressed, beautiful people surrounding you. Not a bumping part y lounge but a laid pack, unwind and relax type lounge where you can hear one another and catch up on the adventures embarked upon during your trips.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Definitely the best in Milan. The location was perfect! Quality of rooms and understated style ...immaculate! To add, the service staff were extremely warm, hospitable and friendly. The garden was pretty amazing in the midst of Milan, so quiet and peaceful. However, in the evenings, be prepared for a fantastic scene, my girlfriend and I had drinks my the bar (they provided amazing complimentary tapas dishes which were very tasty) and had a wonderful time enjoying the fabulous ambience! Perfetto!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We stayed here after having reserved the Four Seasons where we always stay when we come to Milan to shop. At the FS, they acted like they had done us a huge favor with a "triple upgrade" to an awful suite - bedroom up a flight of stairs, living room fold-out sofa down the stairs (for me and my 2 adult sons) and then a bathroom down 2 more flights of stairs. I told them they were crazy if they thought I would walk down 3 flights of stairs at night to use the bathroom. Bathroom was large, but no doors btw spaces so very difficult for 3 people to use.They claimed they had nothing else where they wouldn't have to move us after a day. I told them to call the Bulgari where they were told they only had a huge suite for 3300Euros. I asked my son to call the Bulgari directly.They offered us that suite for 1500 Euros, then move us next day to a beautiful room for 800 Euros (including breakfast) and they would take care of everything! Couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. We moved there immediately. Not quite as convenient for shopping as FS, but almost, and nicest staff ever. Beautiful rooms and public space! Bathroom had doors dividing separate spaces making it very convenient for 3 of us getting ready at same time. A package that was delivered for us was sent to wrong room, so they took full responsibility and sent it to us in the U.S.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I have stayed at this hotel in Milan twice, with good reason. It is without doubt a wonderful place for a seasoned traveller. The staff are extremely helpful and the location is second to none. Close enough to the shopping district but nicely and unobtrusively tucked away from view.
The only downside to this hotel is the size of the rooms..just a fraction too small for my liking, but wonderfully decorated in a minimalist style.
Turndown service is always exciting because one knows not which Bvlgari mini perfume awaits..alongside the best biscotti in Italy.

Let me also not forget to add the staff were able to get me a table in my favourite restaurant Gold, with a minutes notice..

I love the peace and tranquility of this hotel and will be back.
I understand one is opening in London next year, I look forward to being a guest there too...

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 26 July 2011

If you're going to stay at a luxury property like Bulgari in Milan it'd best be extraordinary. If you're going to pay $1,200 a night for a standard room, it'd best be perfect. My experience and my room at Bulgari was neither extraordinary or perfect. For one, the AC in the room rattled like an old Fiat 500. The climate control was far from working correctly and the room got stiflingly hot at night. I would have opened the tall windows in the room but our room was over the main entry to the hotel and deliveries, trash trucks and everything else came through the sole entrance to the property so the noise was too loud in the middle of the night to keep those windows open.

Then there's the little things that you wouldn't expect would be a problem from a Hyatt or Hilton or Starwood hotel, let alone something along the lines of Bulgari. After using the in-room espresso machine the pods were never refilled by housekeeping. Body wash in the bathroom was also not replaced.

Staff were very friendly and concierge went out of their way to make arrangements, so service-wise, it was on par with a high quality resort, but overall, not worth the money. It sounds like a joke but I've stayed at better properties at half the price.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing the porte cochere.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank crhanna
Reviewed 2 July 2011

This hotel is truly outstanding. What impressed me most was the private gardens. If you do a search on Google maps/satellite you will see that the garden is absolutely huge - for central Milan this is something incredible.

The aperitifs in the garden early evening were probably my favourite experience from my entire trip to Milan. Amazing hotel.

Only downside is that because it is so private, it was quite random walking up to this hotel given it was really only for car access. But this is such a minor point. It was really one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at in the world. Magical.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends