“Pleasantly surprised...”
Review of Sofia Hostel

Sofia Hostel
Ranked #246 of 283 Milan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was suspitious a little before coming to the hostel, but when i saw that hostel actually has nice location, pleasant hosts, nice and clean rooms, I was delighted. You can be a guest in Milan for small amount of money and enjoy your staying. I had comfortable double room which had also a bathroom which i small but very useful!

The only thing I didn't like is intermittent noise which was coming from reception desk. Everything else was good!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Near Piazzale Loreto, 100 meters away from the metro station, it was a very convenient and economical option for people like me the next morning had to go to the central train station to take the shuttle bus to the airport, in fact in only 10 minutes from here you'll get at the central train station.
This hostel is good all in all, I booked a few hours before check-in, in fact nearly midnight, the reception is open 24 hours, there is a good wifi signal.
It was clean, even though I arrived at a late hour, my room was 5 mixed bed with shared bathroom.
For a transit night I think is ideal, plus € 5 there to hire a lockers to put your belongings safe.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2013

The hostel is cheap, but the double beds are very small for two persons if you're not a couple... (I don't know, but a don't think, that they put guests there in one bed, which didn't book together. There are also single beds.)

The hostel is very close to a metro station, which is only two stations to Milano Centrale. (I think it is also possible to walk it, but we didn't try it.)
There are some restaurants around, but mostly the area is very calm there in the night. But it's still not far away from city center.

WiFi is there, but it has a repairing time every night around 1am, which takes one or two hours. In this time it's sometimes still working, but mostly not, so you can't watch a video there at this time....

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I was there in July. I came before check-in to leave bag in the hostel and man on reception sad just to put it near doors of my room, so if you expect to find camera for luggage forget about it! The room was 4-bed and I've stayed for 2 days (beddings hasn't changed during this time). Also I was impressed when I came to the bathroom. There was a lake on the floor! So before I want to take a shower I have to spend 5 minutes to clean it! In the room there was no lockers for bags just bedside table.
In another hand, location of the hostel is very good. There are only two or three hostels near city centre (30 min to walk or and railway station (15 min from hostel to walk).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 August 2013

From reading previous reviews I was not expecting much however, me and my friends were pleasantly surprised with the hostel. The location was good, 20 minute walk from the train station, 10 minutes from Buenos Aries. From the outside it does not look much and if you're not looking properly it is hard to miss. The rooms are spacious, clean and modern. Surrounded my apartments the area is not too noisy. There were no problems with the room, we were given what we booked and the money had been taken out before arrival just as booking.com had said. I would definitely recommend this hostel for stays in Milan but would advise to not book trough hostel bookers and book through booking.com.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank LittlecBigC
Reviewed 24 August 2013

So arrived expecting to pay a certain amount after booking on a hostel compare website. Only this hostel apparently has a 'tourist tax' which cost an extra €9 per person. As we were not told about this when booking we were not happy!

Rooms were mixed sex.. another thing we werent aware of and quite unusual in the hostels we have stayed in. This was okay for us luckily as both the boys could speak english and were pleasant enough although as 21 and 23 year old girls we were lucky the boys were a similar age.

Rooms were tidy and clean and there was no extra charge for wifi and linen as some websites and reviews suggest. Do not be fooled by the outside, on the inside the host was pleasant. Complementary fan in the room kept it cool enough to tolerate although could have done with a mosquito net. Only one bathroom for the building apart from a wet floor this wasn't surprisingly a problem.

Staff were pleasant and helpful and spoke good english. Noise at night wasnt a problem for us as some reviews suggest. We found the area slightly unnerving at night however with metros close by it wasn't too hideous. Location of the hostel is close by the metro and thus easy to access the centre, train station, duomo etc.

Stay was overall good. Unfortunately the initial extra cost was not just a shock to us but all others who arrived and thus seems quite frustrating and poor advertising. Please sort out!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Not a great experience. We had booked a private, instead got a shared for 8 people. They did nothing about it, and in fact refused to give our money back so we could go somewhere else. They said it was a "mistake on the part of the booking site hostels.com, and they were not responsible". I must say, aside from that issue, which we quickly realised would not be solved and just ended up accepting the beds, the Shared Room was not nice at all.

Some of the issues were:

There was only 1 small bathroom/shower combo for the entire hostel (yeah, you read that right, the entire HOSTEL), so there were long lines to shower in the morning. The bathroom was a mess (obviously, it will be when 20+ people are showering in the same small shower, standing in a line to get in, shower in a couple of seconds and get out).

Location was ok, but the place was basically surround by a construction with cement sacks and batter all over the place (this is only a cosmetic thing so no biggy, but still...).

Regarding the room, it had only 1 tiny fan (not a ceiling fan, just a small standup fan for about 8 people I believe, including a couple of bunks and several beds) in the +38 degree celsius Italian summer. Expect to sweat from the heat and smell others too. (Our booking said the Hostel had A/C, but apparently their description on hostel booking sites is "not correct" and "is the fault of the booking site".

The guy in the front desk spoke english, but not enough to handle or take care of our concerns, complaints and issues in a satisfactory way. Really hard to reason with him.

Outlets were scarce in the room so overnight, a "cold war" started between guests, who secretly unplugged each others phones and computers to the their own charging. Don't expect your own outlet, night light, or anything else for that matter. On the bright side, you do get your own pillow.

If you just want a bed, and don't care if the place is decent, this place is for you. Only plus was that it was cheap. We ended up leaving and loosing the money...

Room Tip: Best way to get a good room is to look elsewhere.