“False advertising, we were cheated - STAY AWAY!!!!!”

Eco Art Hotel De Albertis
Ranked #352 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Baltimore
“False advertising, we were cheated - STAY AWAY!!!!!”
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We chose this hotel because we needed a reasonably priced hotel to stay in Milan. This one seemed like a perfect match. The price was right, the reviews were good, and it stated on our booking site that it had all the amenities we needed, including free parking, high speed internet access, and air conditioning in the rooms.

When we arrived, the clerk at the desk, who apparently was the owner and only employee, showed us our two rooms. One was clean. The other had a stench of cigarette smoke. We complained, and he said we could have a "triple" room for €85 more a night, which for the 4 nights we stayed there, is approximately US$500. We were tired after driving across the country all day, and we did not know the city, so we had to reluctantly accept and pay.

So after paying this $500, that defeated the purpose of a 'budget' hotel like we were looking for. Had we known we would be spending that kind of money, we could have stayed at the Sheraton down the street or quite a lot of other nice places around town.

We didn't get our money's worth either. The only difference between the "double" we had originally booked and the "triple" where we stayed was the number of beds. It had one extra twin bed, that's all, and we didn't even need that bed. The room itself was about the same size, and had no other extra amenities.

The $500 was just one thing we were ripped off for. There was also another piece of false advertising. It was in the lack of an air conditioning unit in the room. This was in dead hot July, and the guy seemed to think that was not a problem at all. Just another reason we had longed to be at the Sheraton. Had we not had to pay the $500, I think we could have tolerated this.

Throughout the stay, I had the intuition that the guy was very untrustworthy. I never saw him act like a 'monster' and he didn't look like one either. But I just had a bad feeling about him. So every time we left the room, even for a short errand, we took all our valuables with us, including our iPad, GPS, jewelry, cash, etc. These are things we would ordinarily think would be safer in the room than in a car parked on the street.

The room itself was pretty clean. That is one nice thing I can stay. But there are many clean hotels in town, and I would not pick this particular one just for a clean room.

So if you are looking for a cheap hotel in Milan just to save money, don't pick this one. With all we had to pay extra, you could find a 5-star place for less.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank colorknit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2009

Some aspects of the Lonely Planet review are fair, but I feel this hotel is so expensive to defy logic. 190 Euro per night for a double room.
Rooms badly lit. Noisy and poorly furnished.
The hotel is some distance from the Duomo. I just think better value is out there.
I only managed breakfast one morning, the coffee so foul, I chucked it down the sink. Avoid.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Milan hotels

Bournemouth, Dorset
Reviewed 22 February 2009

I stayed at the De Albertis for 2 nights on a budget trip to Milan. I paid 100 Euros for 2 nights accomodation including breakfast, booked through Venere, which I consider to be good value for money. I believe the hotel is family owned and the lady of the house made me welcome on my arrival. My room was clean with an en-suite shower room with toilet and bidet. The room was at the rear of the hotel, overlooking the courtyard as I had requested. The continental breakfast offered a good selection with the landlady providing a fresh cappuccino each morning. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from Piazza Grande where a 15 minute bus or tram ride will take you straight to the Duomo. Buy a 1 day travel ticket for 3 euros from the newspaper kiosk in the piazza. Expect nothing more than a clean a budget hotel in an expensive city and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank minimoneyadventure
London
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Just came back from a lovely trip to Milan+Bergamo+Lake Como and I must say this little two star hotel in Milan was a find!

Downs:
- Not very central, but with a 5-10 minutes walk you get to bus stops to: stazione centrale, linate airport or the Duomo (Piazza san Babila). The bus rides are quite short to all these places.
- Staff doesn't speak great English but they've been very patient to my attempts to communicate in italian (which I speak at a basic level)
- Some stairs to be climbed and I didn't notice an elevator, but if you don't have any restrictions this is not really a down.

Ups:
- Friendly staff (apparently run by a family).
- Stayed in room 114 which was ensuite (not sure if all rooms are), huge, had lovely antique furniture, comfy king size bed and was spotlessly clean (room and linen sparkling white)
- Room with air conditioned, tv, mini fridge, cable adsl (you just need to ask for the modem at the reception), great shower
- Quiet residential area, perfect for getting proper rest
- All this for 60 Euro/night, including a generous continental breakfast (with great capuccino), in Milan?? Honestly I couldn't ask for more!

I feel lucky to have found it. Definitely recommended for who doesn't mind walking a little bit to get buses to the touristic places.

TIP1: In case you want to eat in the room after a busy day touring, do ask staff for suggestions of local pizza delivery :-)

TIP2: In Milan, make sure you buy plenty of transport tickets/passes for your whole stay because sometimes it is difficult to find places that sell them, specially at inconvenient times like sunday morning.

TIP3: Besides visiting the lakes (Como is lovely), if you have time DO get a train to Bergamo to see the Citta Alta (High City), it's enchanting and it's where people from Milan go to when they want some shelter from the buzz.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Londoner_guest