“Nice property, but not close to Metro as their website claims!”
Review of TownHouse 31

TownHouse 31
Ranked #218 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 25 May 2009

The decor of this hotel was nice: minimalistic, beige, reminded me of a spa; but I would not call it 'luxurious' by any means. The room was very basic. The breakfast was simple but the food was fresh (not always the case at a continental-style breakfast). The staff was pleasant, especially Alvin.

The greatest frustration was that the website claims, "In close proximity to the hotel, the Metro station connects to the most important spots in town." THIS IS NOT THE CASE! The nearest Metro station is Porta Venezia, which was at least a 15 minute walk (at a fast pace). Milan is a very big city, and it is impossible to walk everywhere - one must use the Metro, so I found it very inconvenient that the nearest station was so far away. I had emailed the hotel before arrival to confirm the proximity of the Metro, but I did not receive a reply. I took a leap of faith that the positive reviews I had read would prove worthwhile.

The neighborhoods between the station and the hotel are residential and quiet, which was a little unsettling late at night as no one was around but us. The single advantage of this hotel's location is that it is only several blocks away from the excellent outlet store: Il Salvagente, located at Via Bronzetti, 16 (turn left out of the hotel, take the first right and it is down several blocks on the right). www.salvagentemilano.it

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robyn1975
TownHouse_Italy, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at TownHouse 31, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2010

Head of PR Town House Collection

Reviewed 19 October 2008

Very good instructed girl at the reception helped us the whole stay. beautiful blonde girl, very good english, spoke other languages and new Milan very very well.: she gave good restaurant advice, good shooping advice and was very polite and helpful. Maybe her name was Cory? If you happen there must ask her advice!! She will be pleased to help you with her very nice smile.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business

Dear Madame/Sir,
we would like to thank you very much for the great review that you have left. We are pleased to read any suggestion and to learn how to satisfy our Guests. We hope to see you again in the future and to welcome you in our Unique Home in Milan.
Head of PR

Reviewed 13 August 2007

Stayed here on business and loved the hotel. This is a great alternative to your average run of the mill four or five star property. I loved the whole package, great rooms, brilliant breakfast round a large communal table, fantastic staff that were there to help wehnever you needed them, the brilliant ice bar (yes, the whole bar is made from ice) and to top it all one of Milan's top footballers has a restaurant opposite the hotel and which was packd with a great crowd. The location is not as central as I had hoped, but it took just a couple of minutes by cab to go everywhere. I would not recommend this hotel to the "old at heart" but for anyone who looks for a stylish local residence at a good value rate this property can be highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank MainzTrainer1

Head of PR

Reviewed 18 July 2007

We've just returned from a 5 night stay in the chicly-named Townhouse 31. Our hopes were high as it was mentioned in Conde Nast as one of the happening "Luxury" hotels in Milan. Don't believe everything you read!.
As the taxi pulled in I should have guessed from the shabby tarpaulin covering the entrance way that something was up.
The interior courtyard was as shabby and tired as you'd probably feel after a 21-hour flight to get there.
Immediately on entering, there was a communal dining table which turned out to be a pain in the johnson at breakfast as you were forced to converse or just stare blankly at your fellow inmates. I longed for privacy after a couple of days.
The breakfast buffet which they made us pay for when we arrived at 10am the first day (classy touch) was poorly stocked and required persistent requests for juice etc. Begging for breakfast must be the latest fashion!
The reception staff looked dishevelled and slightly annoyed when approached but ultimately handed out maps etc. if you stood there long enough while they chatted on their mobiles. Good way to show the guests who's boss. The room staff seemed to know and care more than the clowns on reception.
As it turned out we enjoyed Milan too much to bother changing hotels...but revenge is a dish best served cold.
The room was actually ok although there was a persistent smell of smoke in the hallway. It had ashtrays although we had specifically asked for a non-smoking room.
We did have a balcony but there were neither chairs nor tables on it so we had to beg for some which turned out to be 2 stools and the chair from our room. Maybe the pigeons complain if there are too many guests outside.
The bed was fine and the room quite spacious but everything was too far away. We walked a good 20minutes to reach the Duomo area as there is no real metro or bus nearby. You had to quit the centre and then feel marooned for the rest of the night. Once we raided a supermarket and had a feast in the room, oh joy!
Having forked out 208Eu. p.n. for the first 3 nights and 260Eu. p.n. for the last 2 in Slaughterhouse 19 (sorry ...Townhouse 31) I nearly wept when we walked into the Park Hyatt Milan off the Duomo area and realised that for a few euros more we could have stayed in its cool, subdued and welcoming halls. We didn't want to leave and in fact we were in that Hyatt bar at least once a day...pretending to be guests!!
Back to the Townhouse...there was another long saga over getting things ironed which involved a launderette, a screaming match and a minor pyrric victory..but by then I was dreaming of the taxi to freedom. It came. We left. I smiled.
You get the picture.
No. 1 for everything you could ever desire in Milan has to be the Park Hyatt but we also loved the Meridien -right beside the awesome train station (thank you Mussolini!). Even the Accor near the charming Sheraton seemed like very very green grass after T.31 (wasn't that a soviet tank?)
I envy you now as you turn from this and say "Dear, let's not stay there..." but if you persist...well, there's 1 born every minute...probably 31....ahhhh, how I hate that number!!!!!

8  Thank DoubleJacknCoke
TownHouse_Italy, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at TownHouse 31, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Dear guest,
We sincerely apologize for the negative experience at our property during your recent stay. Guest feedback such as yours help us to continuously review our policies and training procedures. All guest reviews are shared with and communicated to our staff in order to ensure our property standards.
Head of PR TownHouse Collection

Reviewed 30 May 2007

Hip little hotel in a quiet in-town residential area. If 'cool' is your thing, this is your boutique hotel. I found the location somewhat inconvenient if one is simply visiting Milan's tourist spots, but being off the beaten path has it's rewards too. For example, their recommendation of a restaurant for our last evening's dinner was absolutely perfect - evidenced by the fact that we were the only non-locals amidst a huge, hungry & happy clientele.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2007

Although I was not sure what to expect from Milan and from this hotel, I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was in a residential neighborhood, within walking distance to the Duomo and City Center. The staff were extremely friendly, knew our names, booked my train reservation for Venice for me and were truly helpful. When we arrived exhausted from our flight, they immediatly served us deliciious capuccini while we waited for our room to be ready. The room itself, while on the small side, was perfectly furnished, comfortable, with a magnificent marble bathroom and tub. It worked well.

And I loved Milan. It is truly underrated. I loved the store windows, the galleria, the authentic Italian feel of a bustling city that was not so touristy. Overall, a great 3 night stay. We found terrific restaurants, the food was the best in all of Italy. A restaurant called the Charleston, near the Duomo was superb. Much more Italian than the name implies. Also, don't miss Leonardo's "Last Supper". It was a mystical experience.

The hotel is also affiliated with the ICEBAR, which was a great and unusual experience. Overall, I recommend this hotel and I recommend Milan.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family

Head of PR Town House Collection

Reviewed 6 September 2005

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend. I had read the reviews and was looking forward to a design, boutique hotel as it had been described. It was delightfully quiet however it was in the process of closing down for the month of August and there was no buzz about the place at all! The 'cool bar' which apparently was the hotel's selling factor, wasn't even open.

The rooms were small, (the bathroom was tiny) and didn't have anything extra special that I would expect in this class of hotel. The room's decor might have appealed to some but it didn't to us - very drab and beige ; was more 70's than cool retro 70's. I have stayed in much smarter chain hotels.

The hotel is quite a distance from the nearest tube (at least 20 min walk) to get into the centre of town, however the residential location meant we could find some more authentic local bars and restaurants.

The staff were friendly and accommodating, but overall it was quite disappointing and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2005