“very convenient location”

Ranked #32 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“very convenient location”
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I chose this hotel after reading Tripadvisor reviews; it seemed the best option in its price range. My single room was very small, but had everything I needed. I very much liked the location: trams and buses are right outside the door, and there were a deli, and two supermarkets walking distance. Nice department stores nearby too (the largest Coin I had ever seen!). If my budget stays the same, I would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2011

We stayed at Hotel 22 Marzo for 2 nights over a weekend in April 2011. This was a short city break for my partner and I, and I read a lot of reviews of a lot of hotels before settling on this one. Some of the past reviewers must have had incredibly skewed expectations, because I've travelled a lot and I find it difficult to think of any way to criticise anything about our experience of this hotel. The location is pretty much ideal, being an easy 15 minute walk from Piazza Duomo, the cultural centre of the City, and slap bang right on top of a bus and tram stop for those who don't fancy walking. It's also situated on a reasonably nice peaceful square, set back from one of Milan's main shopping roads. There are good restaurants and Gelateria's as well as supermarkets within a stones-throw of the door. If you want to pay 250 Euro's or more for a "city centre" hotel, knock yourself out. This is about as convenient as it gets.

The hotel isn't in the super 5 star luxury category, but it doesn't pretend to be. What it is, is clean, friendly, comfortable, welcoming and run by people who seem to care that you have a good time while staying with them. The room was amply large for us and had everything we needed including a nice comfortable bed, room to store clothes, a telly, air conditioning and a well equipped bathroom en-suite. Above all, the room and public areas of the hotel are meticulously clean and tidy.

Breakfast was typical Italian/continental, but varied, relaxed, and there was plenty to eat and good coffee and juices. If you want more, there are a dozen cafe's within 2 minutes stroll, but for what you're paying for the room rate, this is a decent breakfast.

The staff are attentive and helpful and genuinely friendly. In particular Michele (the day manager) was brilliant, and helped us throughout our stay with advice and assistance. Nothing seemed to phaze him, nor was any request too much trouble. The complimentary bottle of wine on check out is a nice touch, but this hotel already has so much to offer, it's really very far from the top of my list of reasons why I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

Probably the crowning glory of our weekend was the discovery that we could step onto a number 27 tram outside the hotel door, get off at Cadorna station, jump on a train and in just over an hour and for less than the price of a coffee and a cake, we were sipping wine on the shore of Lake Como. Paradise looks like this.

Room Tip: Ignore the moaning minnies. This is a safe bet.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James_and_Julie
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 April 2011

The hotel location is far from most sights - at least a 15-20 walk. There are trams and buses right outside. Location wasn't really a problem, it was more the rooms. Our room had a broken toilet seat and smelled heavily of smoke. The safe also didn't open. The beds were hard and squeaky and the fan didn't work. Breakfast was ok - a selection of croissants and caffe made to order. The only upside was that owners were friendly and offered good recommendations so the service was good. However I would still say somewhere else that is a better value for the money.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank sohosavvy
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Overall, this isn't a terrible hotel. I booked it based on all the reviews I read on Tripadvisor and figured it to be a solid place. And in most ways it was. However, I have to say that this hotel is literally a "Plain Jane" establishment in an okay part of town. The building itself is Fasicist in architecture (built during the Fasicist era of Italy - look it up), not bad, but nothing beautiful as well. It is next to a small park and a church in an okay part of town, which is still safe with lots of families and urbanites walking about their daily lives. The hotel itself, and its rooms are very plain - basically just a standard bed, closet and small flat screen TV, again nothing fancy or even impressive. My major gripe with this hotel are the bathrooms. Again, well stocked with all the amenities you would want, but the showers were extremely small and narrow. I'm not a big person, but the showers were quite cramped difficult to move in.
It definitely lives up to its two star rating. Would I recommend it? Probably not. It's a little far from the Milan Duomo, about 2 or 3 miles so if you want to be near the major sights, this is not the place to be at. Overall the hotel was just "okay" but nothing extraordinary nor worth recommending.
Lastly, had problems with the in room safe which I asked to be opened, but the front desk person didn't know how to do it and said that he would ask his day person who never did anything either. Small thing, but customer service here was just baseline minimum.

Room Tip: Find someplace else to stay
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 17 March 2011

i have stayed in hotel 22 marzo, milan, italy from 10-20 February'2011 on my business trip alongwith my two colleagues. The hotel is very conveniently located near to downtown, easily accessible to main attraction. We were satisfied with our stay in 22 marzo. front office staff "Michele" was very much cooperative in providing all basic information about milan...................

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank robertJOHN2011
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Hi everybody,
My name is Veronica and I travel quite often, abroad also.
I’ve seen many hotels and in my experience there is always something that bothers you when you have to sleep outside of your bed at home!
Hotel 22Marzo is one of the best accommodations I've found lately and I strongly recommend this hotel either for business trips or for pleasure.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ronkina
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 January 2011

The reception was friendly, always able to fill me with information i needed for getting to my destination. There is also free wifi access. Stayed here twice, first when I reached Milan, and the second time when I returned back to Milan after visiting the major cities around italy. On both occasions rooms assigned to me were clean and comfortable. Of course not forgetting the mentioned of breakfast, continental spread, toasts, crossiants, vareity of cereals, crackers and cheese, with vareity of juices and hot berverages catered to my likings, americano! They even serve latte and espresso. What not to be missed is their nutella-like-chocolate-filled crossiants that oshes out when i suck my teeth into it. I made sure i had it every morning, I was so tempted to ask where they bought it. They even had left luggage service when i was about to leave the city. Location was good, Grom, pizzarias, mcdonalds, sushi bar and the convenient store just round the corner. Bus 60 from the CS station that stops just right infront of the plaza SM. Should I visit Milan again, i will definitely pick this hotel again! Thank you 22 Marzo Hotel for the great service!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo