“Location ....”
Review of Charly

Charly
Ranked #171 of 430 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We stop over Milan for one night. The hotel is easy to find. Four blocks away from the train station. The reception is ok but not very friendly. The room is small for three single beds but it come with a balcony. Cleanliness is okay but not fantastic. Everything come with a charge, we had to pay euro 5 for Internet and another eur 5 for air condition. However the air-condition was not working despite the receptionist tried his best to switch it on.

Breakfast serves with croissant/ bread, yoghurt and beverages provided. The dining area is with a garden view hence it is quite enjoyable.

There are few restaurants nearby. Hence you can find food easily. I might consider stay here again if I m on a budget trip and for a short stay at milan.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Jubi_ltc

Reviewed 11 May 2011

Small, elegant, luxurious, comfortable... all these describe this hotel. It is 5 minute walk away from busy shopping street, metro station, but is on a quiet street, so no noise and crowds. Lovely personnel, adorable breakfast area with garden.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Here I am with my review on this "fantastic" hotel though I woldn't even call it a hotel... which I was so stupid to book through the booking com. I booked it let's say starting with the 21th but the situation has changed so I re-booked it 1 day prior to firstly agree date of the 20th of Jan, received the confirmation by e-mail from them and checked in on the 20th as it was no problem at all as I was advised. Having checked in i was chocked with the region it was situated as it looked like it was not safe to leave it after 6 o'clock in the evening, as well as with the general look, and other tourists who looked weird for me. The abcense of an english-speaking concierge and 5-floors with no lift didn't make me happier as well. I tried to find out if there found a way to satisfy my requirement about a smoking room, received the answer that they were not, but I can smoke on a balkony (?! it was about -10 at night- am I a pinguin?) The room I was given was situated straight below roof, it was no mini bar there and it was forbidden to smoke. The bed looked suspiciously, the TV set was fixed under the ceiling and everywhere there were notions not to leave anything decent in the room (mac book, purse, make up, iphone, nokia - jewellery - i coudn't understand if I had to take all of the lugguage with me if I needed to leave it for the town - as well there was no safe box with a pin-code which I suggested every hotel has owed for already a mid of century. When I entered the balcone I was strongly recommended to smoke on, actually the wall which was higher than me was the only thing I was lucky to view.Probably Kalsson would have been the only guest happy to be staying there, but definitely it was not me. So I made up my mind to search for another hotel which would at least look like a hotel - reception, lifts, concierge, you know, so less than in 10 min I found Bristol in just 200 metres from this awful place and which had 4*** and cost only 90 euro per night and where most of extra services were for free - wifi, breakfast in room, bag in the room number, etc. opposite to Charly's cost per night which was was 70 euro. Strange indeed 2 stars difference cost was 20 eoru higher. does it mean each star costs 10 euro? If yes, Charly's cost per night should be reviewed to 20 per night, iMHO. When I came back and told the guy at the reception that I am terribly sorry but I need to move NOW, he who didn't speak english at all instantly let me know that once I leave I will have to reinburse the payment for the whole stay. In english, to my surprise. I advised him to watch me and how I was going to do that. Suddenly he agreed but asked to payed 70 euro for this day as I have already been to "my" room. I agreed and payed him 70 euro cash. I thought that was the end. But 4 days later they have charged my credit card again for the same amount for "not having showed" though I DID. I went mad and called to booking customers service in Italy with the compaint - as I DID appear, and PAYED the first night already - in fact it was my 15 min there that cost me 70 Euro but who cares. And I was really sure that they had no right to charge me for my "non-appearance" twice.. What I found out was that - his activity was absolutely legal, so my mistake was that i did NOT made all my changes through the booking com site - such as checking in the day prior to agreed. So I just gifted this charly hotel with a sum of 140 euro for NOTHING and against my will, as well I was advised I can leave any reviews I like, they don't care, thats what I was told. This was the worst experience of my whole life though I go on business trips practically each month and I have never faced such awful attitude from the personnel to the clients who use their service. I hope not everybody will have to explore this "outstanding service" himself so these ppl who are cheaters and are supplying you with a poor service the best of which are the walls in your room would have to service themselves the way they treating others. All of this is counted on your being a tourist there, not knowing the way how to sue them. Nevertheless I am grateful for this awful experience and I am not going to use booking com neither trust the pictures which promise you the nicest possible views And what if I was short of this sum of 140 Euro? Do I need suchlike situations being outside my native country at all?
Anyway I wish everybody nice trips.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank lanami139
Reviewed 30 January 2011

I chose the Hotel Charly for a one-night stay in Milan, coming in at Centrale one morning and leaving the next from Centrale. Since Hotel Charly is less than 10 minutes from Centrale on foot, it was a very convenient location for my purposes. I read a lot about the seediness/safety issues of the neighborhood around the train station which gave me pause, but we had no issues and did not see anything or anyone sketchy. However, when going to/from the Duomo area, we used the Lima metro station rather than going back to Centrale after dark.

The front desk staff was very helpful and polite, the breakfast was good with plenty of choices (cereal, pastries, etc), and the room was clean and quiet. (We were in the part of the hotel next door to the main part, across a sidewalk/courtyard. We were up one flight of stairs, but there was a man who hauled our heavy bags up and down the stairs for us, which was nice.) We really liked the hotel dog, Snoopy, who calmly kept the staff company in the lobby and greeted guests.

Everything was great until I woke up freezing in my bed at 5am. The temperature was below freezing outside (in January), and apparently the staff turned the heat in our rooms off overnight. When we had gone to bed at midnight, the room was very warm and comfortable. When I finally got the courage up to leave the bed's covers and call the front desk, the lady who answered didn't speak English, but quickly grasped that we were "freddo" - which makes me think this is a complaint they get a lot at 6:30am. Within 30 minutes, the room was warmer, but really? Under what circumstances is it okay for a hotel room to be 50 degrees, ever? Especially while they are sure that the guests are in it, asleep.

Since everything else was great, I give the hotel 4 stars. I don't think the price was a super great deal, but compared to all the other overpriced hotels in Milan, it was the best deal I could find. But before I stayed there again, I would get a commitment on the temperature being maintained overnight at a comfortable level. That's just not fun to wake up to.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2010

Matress was old and unconfortable and linen not clean.
Breakfast buffet was almost empty and what was left was old.
A bit overpriced.
The hotel is in a convinient position if you need to stay in the center.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 November 2010

The previous review was right about first-timer may find it a bit confusing locating the place. Upon exit from the main entrance from the train station, the Via VCituvio faces you. Make a left and you have to pass 4 blocks before reaching Via Settala. The fist block is on Via Roberto Lepetit, followed by Via Mauro Macchi, Via L.Settembrini and the next one is Via Settala where Hotel CHarly is located. The hotel is very clean, toilet sizeis good and anexcellent base to discover Milan. Walk down 2 or 3 blocks is the Lima Metro. The Duomo and shop belt of Montenapoleone is just 3 or 4 stops away. There is a self lanudry and internet cafe 1 block away from the hotel. Plenty of restaurants to choose from.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2010

Hotel Charly is easy to find if you know where you're going. You basically take the street perpendicular from the trains and head up and turn right on their street, Settala. A little confusing since when you come out of the station, if you come out from the left side (tracks behind you), then you're a street off. Anyway, it's really a 5-8 minute walk and a super convenient location to the train. The closest metro station to the hotel is Lima which is another 5 minutes away. It's a nice area when everything is open. We came in on a Sunday afternoon and it was dead and a little disconcerting. But by Monday morning, all the shops were open in the area and it was fun to walk around. There's even a Grom gelato shop nearby!

The hotel itself is definitely no frills. Hotel Charly actually takes up two buildings, so we checked in (they actually had our room ready at 2 pm, which was nice), and the front desk took our passports and we picked them up on our way out a few minutes later. The room itself is nothing to write home about, with a small TV and we had a cigarette burn in our bed cover. The bathroom, which was in the room (our room cost 100 euro through Expedia, I think the ones with shared bathroom were in the 60-80 euro range), was very clean, although they use these towels which feel like huge paper towels. They're stiff and thin, but I've seen them at other Italy hotels. regardless, the bathroom was very clean, with minimal amenities, so I would bring your own, especially if you're a woman and need conditioner and a good soap. They did have a hair dryer, which was good.

The beds were hard, much like other European beds, which I like, the room had high ceilings and it was quiet at night. The breakfast that was included was nice, with croissants, rolls, cereal, yogurt and they made you coffee/tea/cappuccinos if you wanted. They have a nice enclosed patio area you can sit in with a view of their backyard. The little terrier dog they have sits in the lobby and is super cute. The owners/managers were a couple that were helpful when it came to providing information, but I wouldn't say they were overflowing with kindness. When we checked out the next morning (check out is at 11 am), they let us keep our luggage there for a few hours, until it was time to catch our train.

Regardless, for a one-night stay in Milan, this was perfect at the price (everything else was more expensive with a private bathroom), but this is definitely not a romantic stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple