“Great Friendly Hotel”

Ranked #179 of 431 Hotels in Milan
New Zealand
“Great Friendly Hotel”
Reviewed 20 October 2008

Hotel Charly is a very friendly family run hotel, only 2 blocks from Milan station and close to metro and about 5 mins walk to the main street that leads (25 mins) to the Cathedral. The rooms are a good size and very clean, breakfast is served daily in a pleasant conservatory. The staff were very helpful when we asked questions. There are several local places to eat nearby with very reasoable prices. Hotel room rates are very very good value for Milan. We would certainly stay there again.

• Liked — cleanliness friendly staff and proximity to station etc and price
  • Disliked — We had to leave after 4 nights to continue our trip.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank JessieK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 October 2008

Oh well, I guess it was okay those 4 nights that we stayed there. Location was good, near central station and just a 15 or 20 minute walk to the Duomo, which was, by the way, one of the most beautiful cathedrals we have ever seen. The room (we had the one -room 20- with the shared bathroom (shower) and toilet) was average, nothing fancy (for a hotel that advertises as gay oriented, it needs a gay interior designer to spice it up!). Breakfast, a bit of a disappointment; a sweet croissant, then there were two sweet cakes, chocolate, and some yoghurt. No bread, jam, meat, cheese or fresh fruit, but... their cappucino will get you through the day! And admittedly, they advertise with a 'small' breakfast! Strange thing was, staying in a gay-friendly hotel, that when we asked for the gay fun areas, the receptionist did not have a clue! He sent us to a trendy neighbourhood, Garibaldi, which was very straight! To find out the next day, whilst checking out, that they owned a Spartacus gay guide... But okay, it was good, average, would not mind staying here again (the rooms with bathroom seemed nicer!), but we were not sure why they advertise as gay hotel/gay friendly, because we haven't noticed! Have fun.... and oh, if you are looking for some gay fun, avoid the gay oriented pubs/discos near central station, very depressing, very wrong crowd!

• Liked — Read the review!
  • Disliked — Read the review!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Terre Haute, Indiana
Reviewed 26 July 2008

My husband and I stayed one night at the Hotel Charly at the start of our trip in Italy. We liked it so much that we booked two nights for the end of our trip.

The staff is very helpful and courteous. We enjoyed the breakfast (typical Italian: coffees, juice, brioche, yogurt, torte). The breakfast room is bright and cheerful, overlooking a nice garden.
The room was clean and spacious enough. The shower was good--hot water and good shower pressure. TV reception was good with one English language channel.

Hotel Charly is about 4 blocks from the train station. It's also between two metro stops and one block from a tram stop. The neighborhood is a little typical of large city train station neighborhoods but not dangerous. The street that the hotel is on is quiet. There are restaurants & pizzarias near.
I recommend it and would stay there again.

• Liked — Clean, nice people, convenient to transportation
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Italophile
london
Reviewed 22 June 2007

Stayed there for 2 nights in July. Milan was H O T. Temparture was around 34 degrees during the day and probably mid to late 20s in the evening. My room was on the second floor and very warm. Unfortunately there is no air condition in the room, and the table fan cannot be set at one angle - the button had gone missing, so it oscillated only. I was not very comfortable with the warmth. Having said that - I am generally a "warm" person and loves air conditioned places.

THIS IS HOWEVER MY ONLY COMPLAINT about the accomodation. Otherwise I would have rated it "excellent".

The staff is friendly. Very nice and good sense of humour. It has a cosy, Italian family feel to it, with a dog (big but cute and quiet) around either in the garden or at the reception and during the day there's a lady (Italian Mama type) who makes the coffee etc.

location - excellent, very near to Central Station - BUT please make sure you got it right from the word go, as the Station is
H U G E , and one wrong turn in the beginning takes you away off tangent completely. Best to spend time looking at the map to ensure you got the right turning in the first instance. Once you got it right it is only about three blocks away from the Station. Maximum 5 minutes away.

The room is good sized - I opted for one without the shower - though it still has a sink and a bidet (which I'm not sure what for - if you do, please tell me!). The shower room, which is shared with maximum two other rooms on the floor is clean, and I never had to wait for anyone.

The location is also excellent for shopping - Corso Buenos Aires being about 5 minute walk away - and this street is full of shops - shoes, clothes, shoes, watches, shoes and more shoes :-)

Walk down the right way on this street will take you to the BEAUTIFUL and breathtaking L'Du Omo - I think it didn't take me more than 30 minutes on foot. maybe 20 minutes. Not too sure about this. But certainly walkable.

Lots of Metro stations around the hotel (maybe 5 minute walk in any direction).

All in all - I'd go again!

• Liked — Friendly of staff and location
  • Disliked — lack of fan/air condition in room
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank DeanIsmail
Sydney
Reviewed 1 March 2007

October 25th 2006 (one night)
90 Euro / night

My boyfriend and I have decided to put this into good/not so good format. We’re both fairly tall, he is 6ft and I’m 5.8” and we’re both 29 years old.

Good:
-Nice reception staff
-This was just an overnight stay for us, so I don’t have much to say. The room served it’s purpose. I would ask for a non-smoking room if you’re a non-smoker, the room smelled a bit of smoke.
-The pensione was close to the main train station, only 3 blocks away, this was very convenient.
-It’s also very accessible from the airport if you take the airport shuttle buses (everything is on the Hotel Charly website). It drops you off at the main train square
-Shower was great and bathroom was very clean and bed was comfortable
-There was a safe in the room and a TV
-The hotel also seems quiet, although there was a dog barking and I think it was the hotel owner’s dog.
-Breakfast is included, and it looked to be a quaint breakfast room, but we had an early flight and wanted to sleep in a bit, so we didn’t have breakfast.

Not so Good:
-There was one key to get in our room, which is not exactly safe, but it was fine.
-Restaurants look dismal around that area, but we didn’t get far, I must admit. The ones in the plaza have VERY average Italian food.

I would stay here again if it was for the same purpose - overnight stay on a lay over.

Stayed October 2006
2 Thank AnAussieCanuck
Grand Prairie, TX
Reviewed 13 November 2006

The hotel was listed as gay friendly and it was. It is literally not a 5 minute walk to the main train station from the hotel and that was dragging trolley bags. The neighborhood had a kind of seedy feel to it, but I never really felt unsafe in it. There is no elevator so if you have trouble with stairs, not recommended. Also, if you happen to have a room looking out into the courtyard, you will have the pleasure of the rotweiler dog and its incessant barking every morning about 8 or so. The bed and pillows there were firm and actually the best ones I had in my 2 country 14 day trip this time around. I have to warn you about the towels however. I think they were starched tablecloths as opposed to towels. The price was reasonable and I would most likely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple