“Just what we needed”
Review of Charly

Charly
Ranked #183 of 426 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 27 June 2014

In looking for a place to stay for our 3 day visit to Milan, we wanted someplace that was reasonably priced and within walking distance of the Central Station and the city center ( Galleria, Duomo, etc.). Hotel Charly met these criteria, plus mentioned having a back garden. While we found that the larger neighborhood was a little "questionable"(graffiti, etc.), the side street on which this hotel is located was quiet, older buildings with lovely architectural features, and we (a couple in our late 60's) never felt any risk walking back in the evening from wherever we'd been in the city.
Our room with en-suite bath was adequate size, nicely arranged and had French doors opening onto our own small terrace (with table and chairs) overlooking the back lawn and garden - just what I'd wanted! Breakfast was the usual Italian (some meats, cheeses, yogurt, cereal, croissants) and was served in a sunroom which also overlooked the back garden. We especially appreciated Massimo (one of the reception staff) who was so helpful on several occasions (e.g. getting to Linate Airport for an early AM flight when the cab drivers had just gone on strike). Grazie, Massimo!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Charly

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This hotel was incredible! It is walking distance from Central Station and looks immaculate! The owners were helpful and breakfast was great. It is close to public transportation and technically walking distance from the city center if you don't mind walking. If we ever go back to Milan, we wouldn't even think of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The minute I stepped inside the gates of this hotel, I fell in love with it! This could be the cutest, best hotel I've ever stayed at, to date. The interior of the entrance and lobby is wonderfully cute and the room didn't disappoint me either. The room is moderately big, even though I was traveling alone there wouldn't have been a problem moving around with two people in the room. There is an electronic safe in the room, so even though I had to leave the room key to the receptionist when I left the hotel, I felt safe leaving my passport in the room.

My room had a view over the garden at the back of the hotel and even though the description said there was AC in the room, it wasn't on while I stayed there. I kept the windows open and slept through the night. There was some background sounds from the street, but not so much that it interfered with my sleep.
The bed was somewhat hard, but I prefer a hard bed to a soft one and it didn't bother me. I had no problems falling asleep.
The shower head was a bit grimy and could do with some vinegar to clean it, but overall the bathroom and the room was clean and inviting.
The hotel is located in a sketchy neighborhood, only a 5 minute walk from Milano centrale, but I didn't feel unsafe when I was out during the day and as long as it was light outside. There is a market just half a block away from the hotel.

I didn't take to Milan, but I would love to go back to the hotel. And it was cheap too. What a gem!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I (29 years old) were looking for an affordable, clean, comfortable and quiet place to stay when arriving in Milan for the night. We found it! Easy walking distance from Central Station and easy access to the rest of the city. Very friendly front desk and good breakfast. After staying for the night, we also made a reservation for our return trip to Milan for later that week. Highly recommended!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SevillesBarber
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Hotel Charly overachieves for its 2-star category. Arriving at the Central Station in Milan, I walked to the hotel, less than ten minutes away. The neighborhood looked a bit dodgy, but when I turned onto the side street for the hotel, it was quiet and charming. The Charly has a bit of an old-world feel to it, a bit lived-in but not at all shabby. The room was small but nicely decorated, with a all window that looked out over the garden. The breakfast buffer was minimal, but considering the price of the room, it seemed quite generous. Tram, bus and metro are all within a short walk, making the sights easy to visit. Good wifi (but you have to get a new ID every day). I would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel comprises two small buildings. Rooms in the building without the reception desk seems to...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank nycjcb
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

We spent a few nights in Milan at this lovely place. We chose it simply by price and location but were pleasently surprised to find such a friendly, cosy and lovely place.
Every one speaks good English, rooms are clean, water hot and a proper breakfast.
- free wifi really works
- parking (only three slots so call ahead)
- we got a room with a balcony
- only 2 minutes from M1 main subway line
- if you visit, go to Little Italy a few blocks away. Pizza to die for, and I have had a lot around Italy.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Toombster
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This hotel was very nice, clean, good location, nice staff....i liked everything.

Just one thing bothers me. I reserved the hotel through booking.com. Paying for one night on my credit card has been blocked. I paid by cash in the hotel. After 3 weeks money on my credit card is still not available. I have one question, is this means double pay??? I wrote several letters to the hotel, but the answer has not received

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends