“Basic”

Ranked #287 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Helsinki, Finland
“Basic”
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

Clean and safe. Staff is very friendly. Good location: it takes 15-20 min to walk to the centre and busses and trams leave right in front of the hotel. Breakfast didn't meet our expectations of a hotel breakfast.

1 Thank Ilari L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Korean first
Oxford, UK
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I have booked 3 bed private ensuite room however when we arrived we were told that there were no ensuite rooms in at the hostel. None at all! So why do they have ensuite rooms available for booking online? Otherwise very nice owner, location is okay (about 20 mins walk to the Duomo) and the hostel is clean enough. There is only one shared shower amongst 4-5 rooms (that I could see - there may be more) and that can cause some chaos in the morning and the walls are very thin... And terrible beds (you could feel the spring poking you) in our room.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Milan hotels

Tywyn
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed here in August 2011 for four nights, my first impression was that it was a bit 'digny' due to it all being on one floor and the rooms being very cramped, although I did feel welcome during my stay, the staff were all friendly and were there to help whenever i needed any. The view from my window was a joke, it was a building site, and I think the hotel was part of it, the floor beneath my room and to the side had been taken away, and it seemed tht my room was somehow floating. Thankfully there were no construction workers during my stay. The location seemed a bit rough at night, but was only one tram ride away from the city centre which was very useful. Even with these mixed points, I would definately stay here again due to the price and location, as long as my room is clean (which it was) i don't mind where I stay, so I'd love to visit Milan again and I think because Ive been here before I'd pay "Hotel" America a visit again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2012

This is the worse hotel I have ever stayed at. Dirty, filthy, rundown.
The hotel didn't even have working heating and when asking them to turn the heat on they just excused it with they weren't in charge of the heating system.
Don't waste your money on this hotel!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Me77_12
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 February 2012

This was an absolute shamble of a hotel and I feel that people need to be warned before staying there. The rooms were filthy, the bathroom mouldy... Neither of those would have been so bad but the room didn't even heat properly. When we asked the owners about the heat we were told they do not control it, it is controlled by the building and turns off at 10:00pm before turning back on at 7:00am. This was unbelievable in the winter when it was -6C in Milan! Furthermore, the shower broke when my friend tried to adjust the nozzle and the hotel tried to charge us €50 to replace it! We told them it was not our fault that their equipment was faulty and we checked out immediately. They have since charged my friends credit card, without his permission! He is currently communicating with his bank to have the money refunded!
This hotel is a scam and people should know. DO NOT STAY HERE.
Furthermore, it was out of their control but there was construction happening to the building next door that woke us every morning at 7:30am... A warning at least would have been nice.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank amerrica
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I stayed in this hotel just one night.
It is very accessible, there are several buses and trams run from and to the central train station and the hotel, Very easy to go to the city centre, Duomo and others places as there is a bus stop and tram station just before the hotel's door.

there WIFI, TV. and balcony.

The hotel is clean and safe but, there are only two Kebab restaurants that open until the late night.

sleeping quality is good no noisy from the road outside- even I got a room next to the road.
The staffs were very kind, I think this is a chines family owner as all the staff is speaking both Chines and English.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Canada
Reviewed 29 October 2009

After a long flight from Greece, my wife and I had arrived at the hotel looking to just unwind. Unfortunatelyen we were told that there was no room for us even though we had a reservation. The gentleman that was at the reception did not seem interested in helping us. Normally I would have made a fuss but the owner Giovanni advised us that he was personally going to put us up in another hotel (Hotel Passeo). He even paid for a taxi to get us to the other hotel. The other hotel was your typical Italian Bed & Breakfast, but was very safe and clean. It was conviently located near the Loretto Metro stop and steps away from the Corso Buenos Aires shopping strip.

I can't really comment on the Hotel America, as we spent our entire stay at the other hotel but I got the feeling that it was a good thing that we didnt stay there.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple