“Very good value for money”
Review of Gambara Hotel

Gambara Hotel
Ranked #252 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Milan, Italy
“Very good value for money”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed 2 night at the Gambara Hotel and I must say it is not the best hotel I ever seen but having payed something like 60 euro per night I have nothing to complaint about!

The hotel looks old but the room are in good condition and they clean and change towels every day.

It true that the hot water is very limited and you need to take a very quick shower but it is enough to get yourself clean! Do you really need to get 30 min shower when you are traveling??? go out and enjoy the city, for 60 euro/night what do you expect? a Sauna?

The staff is very kind and helpful and they speak english too (a bit funny english but enough to be understood eheh).

The hotel is not far from the city centre, just take the underground (the station "Bande Nere") is right behind the hotel) and in 15 min you will be in front of the Duomo. It is also close to San Siro, you can take a bus or walk (20-30 min).

Overall: absolutely a good choice if your intention is to enjoy the city and save money without expecting any luxury.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gmore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 February 2012

For what I paid for my single room, the hotel was quite far from the centre of Milan (though close to Gambara metro station so not too long a commute), my room was absolutely tiny - the smallest I've ever seen - and the hot water did not last longer than five minutes.
The floor was dirty and the room smelled like smoke when I arrived. I'd requested a non-smoking room, but there was an ashtray on the desk when I checked in.
There was a very rickety spiral staircase to get to the lower floor which creaked a lot and did not feel very sturdy.
There was no smoke alarm in my room, though I am not sure whether or not this is the norm in Italy (though there were smoke alarms in my rooms in Florence and Rome).
To lock the room from both the outside and the inside the key was required.
My room was cleaned only once during my four night stay.

The staff were friendly and helpful but I thought the room was overpriced for what it was. I had much nicer accommodation (excellent location and larger, cleaner, nicer room) in Florence for €10 less per night.

I am not one to complain about basic hotel rooms (I'm there to see the city, not to stay in the hotel all day!) but I felt that the room did not reflect the price I paid for it and while I'm okay with basics - 5 minute showers, dirty floors and smoky rooms are not what I expected to come across.

The only good thing about this hotel is the location. 2 minute walk to metro and a supermercato.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a private bathroom if you require this - some of the rooms have shared bathroom...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank kared13

Travellers are raving about these Milan hotels

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Hotel Gambara is not exactly in the centrum, but it is a short walk to San Siro stadium (I travelled with my brother and father, so they wanted to go) and there is a metro station around the corner. We had free parking outside, in front of the hotel on the street.
We had a triple room, 3 single beds, TV, sink and shower in the room. At the end of corridor, there was a shared bathroom and toilet, which we used, it was OK. There is a steep staircase from the floor we were staying leading (I suppose) to some other rooms.
The hotel is on the second floor, there is an old fashioned lift, so its not a problem, if you have lots of luggages. The people at the reception was really nice, providing us with tourist maps and advising, where to get off a metro, so we get off at the Castello Sforzesco (I cant remember the name of metro station, maybe the same?), which was beautiful, and then walked to piazza del Duomo. the metro ticket cost 1 euro one journey/person.
the room was clean and big (no balcony) but big window. there can be a noise from the traffic at the morning, but we didn´t mind, as i was up early in the morning and just sitting in the window and enjoying the feeling, that its a real Milan.
there is no airconditioning, but there is a big fan, so it was enough.
there is a big supermarket just across the street (3 minutes walk). there is a roundabout.
we arrived at 9 pm, then went for a drink (after driving all day). Beer was about 4 euro.
You can buy some water and other beverages at the reception, which I appreciated.
No frills hotel, but I really liked it and I was satisfied. I would go there again. We stayed there 2 nights (July 2010) for 120 euro total.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
kiev
Reviewed 19 September 2011

The only advantage of this hotel - is location - not far from Gamgara Metro station. Hotel is dirty, old and disgusting. Better to pay more money and stay in some real hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Cagliari, Italy
Reviewed 23 March 2011

spent there 3 nights, location and service are excellent. good experience, though obviously nothing fancy. if you are looking for a cheap, clean hotel for short stays, it might be your perfect choice. very well connected to subway, supermarket on the corner. reception is 24/7, they were always ready to help us. warmly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Hotel Gambara is a awful hotel. You only could shower with hot water 5 minutes, then you must wait 45 minutes till cold water turn hot~ This hotel don't show this situation in Booking Website, but they have the announcement on the bathroom's door, so they think they have let customers know,they don't have responsibility~ Because I didn't notice the annoucement, so I showered cold water in the cold weather~ I coundn't continued the shower, then I told the manager in hotel, he said he can't do anything,because he has announced in the door, he can't changed room and can't refund, and he said the room only 40 euro for 1 night, I only deserved to it~This hotel have another problem,the only socket in the room is near the ceiling(very high) and you must remove the pin of television, then you could charge the battery~If the manager concern the environment, he should save water,energy in his house, not from guest~

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank yeyers1111
Bristol
Reviewed 6 March 2010

This hotel was placed near a metro and was easy to get to. When we arrived, we were met by the receptionist who clearly didn't want to be working that day! He was a bit dismissive and we were pleased to get away from him once he gave us his keys!

We had to walk down an incredibly steep and narrow spiral suitcase which definitely wouldn't be allowed in England due to health and safety issues!

We arrived during a hot time of year, so didn't really sleep very well. I feel that even though the air conditioning worked, it wasn't spectacular, and didn't seem to make any difference to the temperature of the room, despite leaving it on for the evening while we went out for dinner!

However on departure, we were checked out by the owner of the property who was very pleasant.

All in all, an ok visit, but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple