“A neat, tidy, comfortable hotel”
Review of Hotel Colombia

Hotel Colombia
Ranked #149 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Beirut, Lebanon
“A neat, tidy, comfortable hotel”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I had a very short stay in Hotel Columbia, less than 24 hours. The location is very good, close to Milano Centrale station and yet not adjacent to it, in a quiet street, near a restaurant. It is 150 meters away from tram line1, which leads to the City historic center. The staff is polite, helpful, efficient, albeit in a very official and professional way. Breakfast is copious, the rooms are large. The beds are really comfortable ! We were allowed to our room one hour before official check-in time. This is officially a four-stars hotel. It is really decent, and overall it has nothing to complain about.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hadi_2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I picked the hotel because it was near my offices and near the train station. I liked it and will use it again on my next visit to Milan.

It has a pleasantly decorated foyer (see pics). Rooms are a bit basic and tired for a 4 star hotel but ok. Breakfast was nice. Good selection of cereals and cold meats. Cheese options were missing (triangle cheese only). The helpful waitresses will bring you a fresh cup of coffee, which is nice.

I would not rate this as a true 4 star hotel but I wanted something close to my office so it was ideal.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I have been in Milan 4 times while travelling on business, and this was my first time at Hotel Colombia. All of my other hotel experiences in Milan were positive but this one NOT so much. I would not stay here again and do not recommend this hotel unless you are looking for more of a budget travel experience where you can save money.

Positives -Colombia is within short walking distance from Milano Centrale train station. This was nice, considering that my train arrived in Milan at 11:30 PM. Breakfast buffet - typically included as in my instance - had full selection and was quite good. Also while sounding silly, their bath products provided in room are very nice smelling / quality.

Negatives - I was there during Fashion Week (albeit not for Fashion Week) and so price was elevated relative to standard rates. Upon check-in, the hotel was not even half full (as I could see from keys hanging on room boxes behind front desk) and I was placed right next to a room with a screaming baby around midnight. Since hotel was not full, I went to front desk and asked to be moved to quieter room. The second room I was given had the air conditioning unit / motor removed and no A/C at all. It was hot as can be and uncomfortable. When I went back to lobby and asked for a room with A/C (as advertised), I was given a third room which was quiet and still hot but at least an air conditioning unit was in the room and minimally functional. This entire check-in process took me about 45 minutes. The lobby person was rude and did not believe me that there was no A/C unit in the second room. After he went up there himself to verify, he came downstairs and offered an apology to me. Only then did I get a third and partially decent room.
I did not get a full night's sleep because I was hot in the room and annoyed after the experience I had upon check-in. I would not stay here again.
Rooms are also updated, beds hard/ comfortable, and walls need to be repainted (scuff marks, etc).

Points for consideration: I saw a few other hotels closer to train station that looked much nicer from the exterior. Two were right across street. Wish I would have stayed there instead.
If you want to be closer to Duomo & Galleria, there is a nice NH Hotel with better location.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Colombia is a 4star next to the central station. There are a few 4 star in this area and they are admittedly all good, unfortunately they're all also quite expensive. However for some form of luck I found a 2-night deal at 190 eur and I grabbed it, a 3 star in this area may cost the same if not more at the end of the day.

I have to say my expectatons were lived-up to: the staff was very nice, the lobby cosy and inviting with a design touch, the room was clean, modern and with a huge bathroom. There was no breakfast included, however at the corner of the same road is a bar with amazing cappuccinos, further to inviting sandwiches and pizzas if you're in the area for lunch

Bottom line, next time I plan a trip to Milan I'll try and stay here, it was a really good stay!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank silviaaroundtheworld
Dunedin, Florida
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This hotel is conveniently located 5 minutes' walk from Milano Centrale. The decor is modern and clean. The room has a lot of storage, is very quiet, and includes free wi-fi and in-room safe. The breakfast buffet was quite varied and included coffee, juice, eggs (scrambled & hard boiled), cereals, meats, fruit & yogurt, breads & croissants, etc. There is a pleasant little garden area off the breakfast room where you can enjoy a drink from the bar. The English-speaking staff is also very friendly and helpful.

There is a computer and printer in the lobby area and a fitness center on the premises (which I did not see). Overall, a good value for all the amenities provided. When arriving from the train station, cross the taxi stand and then cross the road. The hotel is around the corner from Ristorante Giglio Rosso.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Thank you to the staff at Hotel Colombia, Milan. I thought I had a reservation for 3 nights, but the booking agency sent it to Hotel Colombia, Trieste by mistake. Nonetheless, the staff at Hotel Colombia, Milan were very helpful and went to alot of trouble to sort it out for me. I ended up staying there for 1 night. The room was clean, comfortable and suited me perfectly. Very well situated, close to the Milan Central railway station. The breakfast was also very good...I would definitely stay there again!!

Room Tip: If your booking agency makes a mistake with your booking, keep persisting with them to give you some...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Essential, clean, standard rooms on the small side... but well run establishment offering the chance of moving in and around Milan at ease thanks to nearby Stazione di Milano Centrale (for touring outside Milan) and the underground/metro/tube station less than 5mins walk fm the hotel to explore the city itself. As it's nr the station it's also in proximity of main bus services linking the city to the various airports of Malpensa, Linate and Orio al Serio (Bergamo).
No tea/coffee facility in the room, but as for many Italian hotels one can get room service at the touch of a speed dialling button.

I stayed 5 days, it was better than many of the seedy hotels one may end up staying in in that area. The rating of "very good" may seem a little excessive, however it didn't seem fair to just give it an "average" considering what's out there in the same category.

I would visit again if I was going to Milan.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo