“Terrible Experience!”

Ranked #417 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Hiroshima, Japan
“Terrible Experience!”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I just created a tripadvisor account, but I thought I'd review my past experience at the hotel. We travelled to scotland in april of 2010. The day we were supposed to fly back was the first day of Ash Cloud incident. We made it to milan, unexpectedly, and had to book the hotel on the train. We found the hotel and it was really late. The man working at the front desk was very rude and unwelcoming. We gave him our passports and he started to fill out paperwork. Then he insisted that we go to our rooms and they would keep the passports overnight. We obviously weren't comfortable with that, so we waited for a really long time. Finally, he showed us to our two separate rooms (we weren't informed that they would be separate). To make it worse, the rooms were in two different buildings and the man told us that one room had to be my husband and I and the children (our oldest was 17) had to stay in the other. I'm not sure why this was a rule, but we obviously fought it. I stayed in the bigger room with 3 of my children and my husband and one of my sons stayed in the other room. Our room was awful- dead bugs on the wall, broken furniture, etc., but my husband said there room was even worse- cracked tiles, etc. We all felt very unsafe, despite the proximity to the train station. In the morning, the desk worker tried to charge us more than the guaranteed price, and we ended up just paying it, as we had to make a train. Overall, the hotel was awful and I didn't feel safe staying there with my family. The only good thing was that we'd only booked for a night.

Room Tip: Don't stay here- really, honestly, the train station would be better- and I have slept in train...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank tniemann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Hotel Valley is in an ideal location for those interrailing, since it is only 5 minutes from Milan Centrale. This and its very cheap price attracted me to it, but I really think that this is really only a one night place for those taking the train.

Stayed in an en-suite triple room, which was clean with relatively comfortable beds. However, this did not really count for much given the lack of air-conditioning, which even in mid-September made our two night stay quite uncomfortable. We had to specifically ask for a fan and this didn't make a huge difference.

Given that there isn't much tourist stuff in Milan anyway, if you are planning to visit, only stay here if it's in the cooler months and for one night. Obviously, if you're not on a budget, stay in a more central part of Milan at a higher rated hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank RalphMedders

Travellers are raving about these Milan hotels

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2011

The room i stayed in was a good size with a clean en suite bathroom.There is no air con so it can get very hot. I wouldn't recommend leaving the window open either as we ended up with quite a lot of insect bites the day after we did this. I would probably describe hotel valley as a hostel as opposed to a hotel. However, it did lack the great atmosphere that one usually gets in a hostel. The lady who signed us in was quite cold but she gave us some interesting information about the area. There is no kitchen so that isn't great factor for travelers on a budget who prefer to cook than eat out. The hotel is in quick walking distance from central station and tram lines to where you can get anywhere around the city quickly.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Hotel Valley Milan is located only a 5 min walk from the Main Train Station in Milan which is perfect if you're Interrailing as i was.
It is located in a block of apartments, which didn't look great from the outside but inside it was fine. There was a small reception area.
The room was really big and spacious and was like a hotel rather than a hostel. There was also a balcony which was nice. The beds were comfy and we all slept very well. Two towels per person were also supplied which was great.
The room and bathroom were very clean, although water from the shower did leak into the room after use but this didn't really bother us.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 18 May 2011

The location is great... it's about 5 minutes from the train station and close to a metro stop. The room was decent and had a balcony. The bathroom was horrible however. The toilet did not work, and after complaining about it, they said they would fix it while we we're gone for dinner. When we came back, it was still broken.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank ntayers
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Me and my girlfriend stayed here, it was actually July 2009, not a clue why I have left it so late to review...

We went on a budget conscious holiday for a week, and decided to stay here simply due to price. I wish we didn't!

Anyways, the good bits:
Location is excellent, 5 mins walk from Central Station, and transport link (tram) is amazing. So getting around Milan from here is perfect. Area is nice, nice little bar over the road, and a cool small restaurant round the corner.

Room has a TV and own toilet, with storage for clothes
Breakfast was included (but see below)

That's basically it for good bits. Now for the bad parts:

Hostel (not hotel) is located within an apartment block, so there's a mixture of hotel guests and people living in the apartments coming and going at all hours, and there's a lof of apartment people bringing vehicles such as mopeds and the like in at all times.

There's no fridge in your room, and the staff won't let you store anything in the room, and there's no cooking facilities, so you will have to eat out every night.
The room was bare, had a bed and tiled floors! which were broken and several times nearly cut our feet walking around the room.

Had to share a shower with everyone else, which was disguting, looked like it had never been cleaned, ever.

It was noisy 24/7 from locals and guests, and staff didn't ever seem happy to help, or didn't even care about any problems.

The fan in the room was broke, and we had to take the cover off for it to work properly, and it would sometimes fall on the bed during the night and it actually fell on my gf once and the fan blade wounded her!!

If you want to stay in the centre of Milan for real cheap, and you don't want to spend a lot of time in your room, and you can definately do it here, but don't expect anything good. There's no air con, and when we went it was 35-40 degrees, so the fan had to be on 24/7 causing nore noise, had a couple of sleepnes nights due to the excessive outside noise, and people chatting right outside our room, sometimes for hours, shouting rather loudly.

Breakfast was a disgrace, but at least there was some. It involved cereal, which was never refilled at times, so if your not first there you won't get any, orange/apple juice from cartons, with no ice, so the drinks were room temperature.

The 'free' internet, which was in the lobby at a tiny desk where you have to stand, and it didn't work for any of the time we were there.

__________

This is a really bad hostel, the worst I've stayed in and I have stayed in some dumps.

Like I say, if your looking for cheap with good location, with a bed a toilet and 4 walls, and a TV, this place is perfect for you.

But I wouldn't ever go back, I like to relax sometimes on holiday, and you can never relax in this place.

STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Two minutes from the station this hotel has a really decent location, just don’t try and park your car anywhere near it. The area and in fact the hotel itself has a run down feel about it, but for the cheapest hotel I could find in a country were everything is expensive I think it’s reasonable.

We had booked a month or so in advance and been told that breakfast was included in the price, but when we asked about it the day we arrived we were told they no longer served breakfast due to “management changes”, and they didn’t seem very interested that we’d already paid for it.

The staff were reasonably friendly although almost all the information they gave us was inaccurate: where to park the car, nearest newsagents etc. The internet is freely available but only through a computer in reception - you’ll have to stand though because there’s hardly room to swing a cat.

The rooms were good-sized and clean, though lacking AC - a real must, if you aren’t used to the heat. A fan was provided though, which was sufficient enough for the nights. The beds were rock hard, but the sheets were clean and although, as I said, the whole place has an air of degradation, nothing in the room stood out as being hugely unhygienic

The pokey bathroom however deserves special mention: the door was an ill-fitting wooden folding contraption and the showerhead wouldn’t stay upright - believe me, it’s a pain if you’re not used to it. The temperature of the water was also slightly temperamental - the first time it was freezing cold, but the next morning it managed to maintain a fairly decent temperature.

The Hotel Valley isn’t the kind of place I’d want to spend a week in but I’d say it’s fine for a couple of nights - and if you’re looking for somewhere just to sleep thats cheap and in a good location then you could do far worse.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends