“Basic Budget Accomodation”
Review of Hotel Gonzaga

Hotel Gonzaga
Ranked #399 of 426 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 8 April 2009

My girlfriend and I flew into Bergamo Airport with Ryanair. We got a bus from the airport to the Central station, 1 hour, €20 approx return for both of us. Hotel Gonzaga is less than 5 minutes walk from the Central Station, even though everyone we asked did not know the hotel or where it was. The hotel was an ideal location to catch the bus to the airport for the early morning return flight. The hotel is a 30 minutes walk from the city centre/ duomo (catheral). The hotel is very basic. The staff are not friendly. It is on a very busy and noisy street. The hotel would not turn on the air conditioning so we had to leave the window open so we didn't get much sleep. The room was clean. The beds were dressed and new towels were put in the bathroom each day. The breakfast is very minimal, no hot food. If you are on a budget then you will accept the hotels flaws, if you are looking for luxury then this is not hotel for you. The hotel is cheap but that doesn't mean its good value for money!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SeanB1
There are newer reviews for Hotel Gonzaga

Reviewed 19 March 2009

Arrived on a Sunday to stay for a week. Uncaring reception staff did not know how to tune in a TV station - in the end he admitted they cancelled SKY the week before and there is no SAT TV. The room was hot and I tried to adjust the temperature on the Air conditioner on the wall, not working - I found out the reason later from reception staff - the Air conditioner in the hotel was switched off. With the windows open, it is noisy, traffic and trams constantly passing by.
For the price of EURO 100 a night there is much choice around stazione centrale. The breakfast is cold with dry rolls butter jam, croissant, no meat (except 1 day was sliced ham but not the rest of my week). Cafe latte is 99% milk, no taste of coffee. Selection of fruit juices, yoghurt are OK. Would not stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Pootzi
Reviewed 7 November 2008

I was so confused by other trip advisors reviews so I was a bit skeptical what I ll find when I was booking this hotel .But I was happily surprised. Very good hotel for that price I booked, comfortable rooms and most important for me ,it was clean indeed, good location for using metro and train, I think 20-25 min walking to duomo , just everything perfect. Furthermore it was close to area ( 15 min walking) with bars (corso como).
Ok, the breakfast was not rich but I think its enough (its not a 5 star hotel so…) and SOME of the personnel could be more smiley but all of them were helpful. I would recommend this hotel to friend and for sure I would stay there again if I visit Milano.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank CyprusPikas
Reviewed 18 October 2008

I'm giving this hotel a 4/5 based only on the fact the the rooms were huge (compared to other places we stayed at in Italy), very nice, and clean and that it was so close to the train station.

The room was the best room we stayed in on our whole 2 week trip in Italy. The entire floor is marble all the way throughout the room from the bathroom to the bedroom area. There's a safe free of charge and plenty of room to put luggage and shopping bags on the floor without having to tip toe around them to get by. The rooms are very clean and the bathrooms well maintained with showers that were bigger than other hotels we stayed at. The breakfast wasn't bad at all - they had a chocolate tart that was delicious!

However, like what other people have already said, the staff does seem to be very uncaring. No smiles or friendliness is allowed it seems. We also had to wait for the clerk to finish their conversation with another employee before we were attended to. I have to say that the lady serving people cappucino/coffee for breakfast was very nice though. You can tell when people care about the job they're doing and she seemed to be doing that.

Overall I'd say stay here if you don't have any special room needs, that way you don't have to deal with the front desk staff. The less contact you make with them the better your experience will be.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank santimo90
Reviewed 1 October 2008

The half bald blondish middle-aged man working overnight is extremely grumpy and unhelpful. Most probably he hates all the foreigners, so it's better to avoid contact with him. One evening he was having fun commenting in Italian the guests to his colleague and I was really sorry to understand him! While handing over the room keys he said to the colleague next to him - Questi qua mangiano come delle vacche (These people eat like cows) - referring to the people to whom he was giving over the keys! Maybe he had been counting the pieces of ham they had eaten for the included breakfast?! I don't even want to imagine what is he thinking about all the guests if he's saying out loud those things in front of them! If you have to choose this hotel, it's better if you don't speak a word of Italian to understand the offences, don't have any questions about tourist sights or public transportation that might DISTURB the staff! There are plenty of hotels in the area that most probably have better services!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank trainu
Reviewed 17 September 2008

Good 3 star hotel. Above average for sure.

• Stayed: September 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 14 September 2008

My mum booked flights to Milan Bergamo as a surprise for my birthday for a two night shopping trip! Hotel Gonzaga impressed us because of it's location and price. We wanted a hotel as near to central station in Milan as possible (as this is where the bergamo airport drop off and pick up point is-we also recommend this transfer as its very reliable and much cheaper than a taxi:can be booked online or pay on the bus) and we would be arriving in Milan at midnight so we didn't want to be far from hotel. Hotel Gonzaga is just a 5 minute walk from central station (ideal for the bus transfer and also for the underground metro link into central Milan). The underground metro link is also cheap and convienient so you can do your shopping and sight seeing. It takes less than ten minutes to reach the Duomo from Hotel gonzaga on the underground (highly recommended!) There was only one member of staff at the Gonzaga who was friendly and helpful and spoke quite good English, however the other members of staff were really quite rude and ignorant and this is a major downfall of the hotel. The hotel is in an office block, which sounds odd, but this caused no problem whatsoever. The rooms are spacious and clean. The maids cleaned our rooms both days we stayed at the hotel-they made the beds, changed the used towels and swept the floors. The room had air conditioning, a minibar, a spacious bathroom with lots of towels and soaps, extra pillows and an electronic safe which is free of charge. You can also arrange a wake up call with reception. It can be quite noisy with traffic at night, however, this is to be expected in a city and is bearable! Breakfast is adequate for the money paid and consists of bread rolls, cheese, ham, cakes, cereals, criossants, pastries, juice and cappuccino! There isn't a left luggage room here and so if you are checking out and leaving your luggage in reception make sure you have a secure lock on your suitcase!

• Stayed: September 2008