“Hotel From HELL!!!!”
Review of Hotel Diablo

Hotel Diablo
Ranked #248 of 284 Milan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Dont ever,ever , ever, ever.....NEVER go there! Don't be fooled by the cheap price, it is not worth the stress and your personal security. I don't know where to start to with this hotel. My four friends and myself book this hotel for 3 days and we only lasted one night! It was horrible. First, to find the hostel was the hardest thing to do especially since there were no signs and in a very shady, dangerous looking neighborhood. While looking for the place some guy on the street there asked us to [--] him! We were 5 female students, so this was so scary. Then the very rude and unfriendly guy at the receptionist wasn't much help either. Finally found the place, entered the room, it looked Ok at first glance. It wasn't the best but we were just too tired and hungry to care. Bathroom was very dirty though. Anyways, we decided to bear with it and just go grab something to eat after a long day searching for the hotel. When we tried to leave we were told that we couldn't take our key with us. We have never encountered this before and asked why we couldn't keep it and apparently its Hotel policy since he said that reception is opened 24/7 as well as internet access..........LIES! Across the street we had dinner because we were too scared to go anywhere else in the area and reached back a couple minutes before midnight. There was no internet access in our room so we had to go to the lobby area to get wifi to plan for our next day trip. All along we are bearing with everything....it was only 3 nights and we would be out most of the time anyway! (we were sadly mistaken) At approx 11:45pm, he rudely interrupted us and said the reception area would be closed and internet would be cut off next 10 mins. Then after a few minutes he switched off the lights, packed his stuff and was about to leave.So not only was the lobby closed but also internet came off too! At this point we were beginning to think we were in a prison or boarding school!
Went back to our room, pretty much unsatisfied but decided to stick it out and wake up early and get to the lobby to plan for the day instead. There was no TV in our room and the view outside our widow was garbage, toilet paper rolls and used condoms thrown everywhere!Our last resort was to take a shower (in the dirty bathroom) and sleep. Even that we couldn't do in one peace! The walls were very thin, we could have hear the guy snoring next door and every conversation in the lobby! So then we turned off the lights to sleep.................. then glow in the dark paintings then appeared everywhere! On the walls, on the cupboards, ceiling.......... stars and heart and batman and palm trees...........As if it was not scary enough when the lights were on!......we were beginning to think this place is some kinda undercover Brothel! That was the last straw...We couldn't sleep that night....we packed our bags and were waiting for daybreak to get the hell outta there!!!!! It was non-refundable but our safety and peace of mind is well worth it! We rather sleep on the streets than stayed there!!! So take my advice.......DONT GO THERE! I personally think the business should be investigated by gov't officials and be SHUTDOWN!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Smiley_Trini

Reviewed 7 May 2013

I have stayed in a few hostels in Italy and I don't expect too much. A bed, a key, and a bathroom is pretty much all I plan on receiving. I travel with my backpack, a bed roll, and a sleeping bag so I don't need sheets. My fiancé and I both travel with multiple locks and aircraft cables so we can lock our packs shut and tie them down to something in the room. We have never had a problem until Hotel Diablo.

We checked in the first night, were shown our room and given a key. We quickly changed and headed out to see what Milan had to offer in the way of food and drinks. When we tried to leave we were told that we couldn't actually take our key with us. We have never ever encountered this before and asked why we couldn't keep it. Hotel policy, apparently. Okay, fine. We come back later that evening and I go to have a shower.. well 3 minutes in and the shower floor is overflowing because the drain is so clogged with hair. Absolutely disgusting. Still, we were prepared to brush it off as a bad experience.

The next day we left our rooms early to hit the city and grab a bite to eat since no food is offered, contrary to what is stated on the booking site. No matter.. we found a decent breakfast. We were out all day, approximately 7.5 hours and upon returning to our room we find that our things have been re-arranged. I then open the drawer where I keep my medication and find a pair of male underwear in the drawer right next to my pills. Gross. My fiancé then goes into his bag (the only small armbag that he leaves unlocked) to grab a pack of cigarettes. He finds none. There were 10 packs that morning, I know because I counted them for him. He brought smokes from Canada to avoid the expense on the trip. We approach the staff at the front desk and they immediately become irate, calling us liars, and refusing to even listen to our problem. The one man even tried to tell his co-worker that we were shady upon check-in. Shady? How? We barely even said a word beyond what was necessary to pay! I didn't appreciate this at all.

I am currently sitting in my Hotel Diablo room alone, my fiancé is out getting us dinner and we will spend the rest of the evening and our last night in Milan in our room because we do not feel safe leaving it unattended.

Please, just avoid this place. We didn't have a great experience overall in Milan, but this just completely ruined this leg of our backpacking journey.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chillibackpacker
Reviewed 13 March 2013

me and 3 other friends went to milan a week ago and wanted to stay somewhere cheap... we thought it would be, but then additional costs appeared (sheets), we paid for it with no problem. then one day our 5th friend just came to check on us (she lives in milan) and to pick up some stuff. the man at reception started screaming at us that she has to get the [--] out and never come back because we paid for a room for 4 people. we tried to explain that she wont be staying here for the night but he continued on screaming and swearing. then he calmed down and explained that she just has to leave a document in case if control comes. then we all left. when 4 of us came back (at 3oclock) and ringed a bell (when we arrived the man said reception is opened 24/7 and due to leaving your room key at reception, you just have to ring a bell when you want to get to your room), and nobody anwsered. panic was starting to come, we thought we will have to spend the night outside somewhere? we just started to look for opened restaurants and asked what could we do. in a fast food pizza restaurant across the street, a couple who could speak english found a hotel phone number on the internet and called them. the reception-man said we can come in. when we ringed a bell once more, the door opened. when we got to hotel we asked the man (at first nicely) what was the problem. he said that he didnt hear us, then two of us went outside again and ringed a bell, and the other two stayed in and listened if its ringing. of course it was. we asked the man again what was the problem if he said that he offers us a service 24/7 opened reception and apparently it wasnt so. he just started making excuses and half an hour ago, we ended with our 5th friend again, how could they closed his hotel if control comes. he put everything on personal level-he didnt let us in hotel that we paid for. he offered us some juice instead of giving us back our money. we wanted to go to police station, but we figured we couldnt actually do anyrhing, so we wanted to let you know what happened - FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, DONT EVER GO THERE

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank katarkra
Reviewed 18 December 2012

The hardest thing about writing this review is knowing where to start.

We arrived at the grand station of Milan by shuttlebus, and after asking for direction decided to take a cab, it was not that hard to find, although not near to 10 minutes from the city center as the hostal claims. The hotel itself is located in a large appartement complex, and when we entered all in good spirit we were greeted by a VERY DODGY obviously, incredibly rude and confused person manding the desk. Obviously he had no sense of personal hygene,which made matters worse, because it reflected in the up-keep of this "hotel".

After having to pay extra booking costs than was agreed (about 40euro's) we also had to pay a deposit of 40 euro's, one can imagine that for a group of 4 students expecting to pay 150 euro's an extra 80 is quite much. And please keep in mind us students are used to sleepingin crappy hostels (not hotels), bt this beats everything. After paying the extra money, we were left with a general feeling of disconfort, not knwoing if our room were to be robbed from the moment we left, seeing there is no locker or anything to leave your stuff in, and you are obliged to hand in the key when you leave (eventhough they keep an extra couple, which we found out to our discontent, but I'll get back to that).

In the room we found that the matrasses were horrible, and the bunkbed simply unsafe to sleep in so we shared on bed with two people. At night it turned really cold, and the blackets cosisted out of thin linen, nothing to keep you warm really.

In the morning eventhough we didnt hadn in our key, one of the people simple entered our room (thinking we weren't there), (hence they kept extra keys), I am glad we were3 in our room, because the people running this hotel are not to be trusted. Naturally I went and complained, but the guy behind the desk simply shrugged it off, and give me a faul look (and I have worked in costumer service; and trust me I stayed very polite). This place is by far the worst place I have ever stayed in my life, and it beats the time I slept in a clay hut in Mexico while having the Mexicanflu with no running water.

I really don't feel like writing more about how we got mistreated; financially and service wise, and odeur-wise, because it is simply upsetting. Gladly Milan was a wonderful city to escape to. but please for you sake NEVER EVER STAY HERE, for you might get the wrong impression of how great Milan could be.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank PeterGraeven
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I am Italian and I had to plan a last-minute trip to Milan for one night. I booked the hostel, then later I found another place to stay for free at a friend's. I tried to cancel the booking, but that was impossible: the staff I contacted at the phone was rude and didn't know anything about it. They first told me I had to send an email to cancel, then they told me there was a 3-day cancellation policy which wasn't specified anywhere in the website nor in the confirmation email, so eventually they refused to cancel my booking and made me pay the whole price. The staff literally told me that "if we find someone else to give the room to you may not pay", but then was unable to tell me how I would have known whether I was going to pay or not. In two words: complete disorganization.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank dodeo
Reviewed 10 January 2012

This is not a hotel, it is a hostel. A disorganised hostel at that. I called to ask for directions to the hostel when I arrived and the respondant was unhelpful and rude, (possible asleep). I had emailed ahead to change my booking from 4 nights to 1, this was confirmed from the hostel's end by reply but there was no change to my booking and they expected me to pay for all four nights when arrived until I forced them to check their email history.

The room was quite cold, it was the beginning of winter, and the small bed had very little in terms of blankets.

My only reason for staying at a hostel was to meet other travellers however this place has no common room, only a few chairs in the reception area which was not very inviting so I met no one. The night time staff member I must admit was more helpful and guided me with a map to a nearby supermarket etc.

The hostel is not easy to get to, one must either take a 30min train from Milano Centrale or a bus. There was very little in the area surrounding the hostel as well.

Only stay if necessary.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Paolo S
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Hotel is about 40 mins walk from the train station. Best to take the tube there for about 1.20 Euro. Difficult to find, there's not street sign, just need to find the street number and locate the name on a list at the door. Very budget and basic hotel. Receptionist didn't speak English, so a little hard to communicate. Room was tidy but needed repair - paint peeling off the walls and broken flooring. Bathroom clean. Walls are very thin... our neighbour had a TV on all night which made it hard to sleep. When we turned off the lights we found there were glow in the dark drawings on the walls - palm trees, stars etc... very strange. Glad we were only there one night.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple