“Focused on style”

nhow Milano
Ranked #28 of 429 Hotels in Milan
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 March 2014

All reviews refer to this as a trendy, stylish hotel, attracting the same crowds - popular with Milan fashion week etc. Rooms are a good size and comfortable. Bathroom will not be to everyone's taste, the main door works to either close off the bathroomn, or the loo (which is a separate small room) so privacy is not the best! Shower lacked water pressure. Breakfast is superb - great range of food, good coffee and service. Location wise - about 3km from the main centre but perfectly accessible with taxis.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mikelondon08
Write a ReviewReviews (2,015)

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Its Milan! Its the cool creative district! What is there not to like about this hotel? Its got some kind of brutalism architecture going on. It clearly used to be a multi storey car park, or some 60's warehouse of some sort. But you know what, the space works. I can only talk about my room, which was standard, but was more than big enough. The staff were professional, the breakfast was extensive, and excellent, and the bar was a god send after a long day of presentations. They even had my favourite Sicilian wine. The hotel was cool, without being so achingly so that guests paraded with pet goldfish on a lead. Recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2014

To be honest, I had no idea it was Fashion Week in Milan and perhaps it's not the ideal time to be reviewing a hotel, but nonetheless here it is. Firstly I noticed some folks have referred to the Nhow as a 'cool' hotel'. True the public spaces are modern and the art to be found on each floor is a great idea, and very interesting, but the rooms are tiny beyond spare to be almost cell-like. There is nowhere to sit apart from the bed and did I mention the noise? They are refurbishing a building next door and the jack hammers start promptly at seven, even on Saturday. I guess this gets the sleepy out of bed, but as some of the fashionistas were shouting downstairs until two, it kind of wears thin after a night. Also the sound proofing is not adequate as I could hear the pacing of someone upstairs until the wee hours. Not a great recipe for those travelling on business. I love the neighbourhood, but really until the building is finished (next year in time for the Expo) I'd recommend staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere away from the building site if you can
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank rr1042
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I had stayed at this hotel once before on a business trip. I decided to take my wife to Milan for a weekend getaway. I booked this hotel through expedia and a day later my father was admitted to the emergency room for two aneurysms. My trip was the following week and due I the seriousness of my fathers illness I immediately contacted expedia to see if I could get a refund or credit. The hotel said I would not get a refund nor is it possible for a credit. The time between my reservation and my cancellation was one day. This is a heartless hotel and I hope you stay away. There are many more hotels in the area that deserve your money.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Michael L
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I have been staying at the Nhow for the past few weeks and I will certainly stay here again.

It is generally regrading by the cool kids of Milan at the moment as the most fashionable, trendy hotel and I can understand why. Being located close to many fashion agencies, there are also a lot of rather beautiful guests, which is always pleasant at breakfast time!

The service is great, although I do know some of the staff from previous stays in another NH hotel (the wonderful NH President in MIlan) so may be a little biased. Nevertheless, the staff are friendly, speak all of the usual languages reasonably well and are very helpful.

Despite the charming staff, my colleagues and I have often found check-in and check-out rather slow. Make sure you allow a few extra minutes if you want to get away quickly in the morning.

Decor
This hotel looks pretty damn cool. The orange colour scheme works well and there are some nice additional touches, such as the glass floor by the lifts at reception with stonework cut down several metres below the ground, or the centre-piece bicycle on the second floor. There is a lot of contemporary artwork all over the place, although I'm not a huge fan, for example, of the plastic seating disguised as a comfortable armchair as you wait for your taxi at the entrance - don't try to collapse into that chair unless you want to damage your derrière.

Nevertheless, I am sure, however, many others would find such artwork delightful.

Gym
A real mixed bag here.

The gym is very well-equipped for a hotel gym, with two running machines, cross-trainers, exercise bikes, etc. and then some weights machines and free-weights. Unfortunately, there are also some problems:

- opening hours of 07:00 - 22:00, which is simply not enough. The hours I have to work mean it is not open early enough for me to go in the morning and I also miss out regularly in the evenings (closing at 23:00 would help)
- the gym is kept locked all day, the reasoning for which is unclear to me, but this is exacerbated significantly by two factors: 1) you can't get in with your room key, you require an additional key that you must request at reception; and 2) the gym keys last a maximum of 24 hours (despite being repeatedly assured by staff that they last 30 days). Every morning you will find a group of hotel guests unsuccessfully trying to gain entry into the gym with their expired cards, which wastes everybody's time and is a clear frustration.

The gym also has some sort of sauna but I have not used it at all.

Rooms
The rooms fit in with the style of the hotel in general, with iron girders protruding through the rooms covered only in a coat of paint. Some of the rooms have showers with a light above that creates quite a nice effect, and the water is hot and moderately powerful. The rooms are kept very clean and everything is very modern.

One feature that I do really like and cannot remember seeing elsewhere, is that the rather large double bed (kingsize I think) has four pillows; two of which are rather firm and the other two are rather soft. As such, you can choose which you prefer to sleep on. Seems a very simple and logical idea... why don't all hotels do this?!

The breakfast is quite good, with a reasonable range of pastries, cereals, hot food, cold food, yoghurts, juices, etc. I have found the quality of the scrambled egg to fluctuate quite a lot from excellent to very average and I can't understand why salmon is not among the cold meats on offer. I want to mix it into my eggs, please!

The tables also have a little sign suggesting some sort of freshly prepared breakfast upon request but nor I nor anybody else in my group have given this a whirl. Perhaps they'll do my scrambled eggs and smoked salmon.

I have eaten in the restaurant and in the bar several times and probably found the most reasonable thing to be either of the burgers, which is not really what I want when in Italy. As I would general advise, eating in the hotel should probably be avoided on the grounds of value for money, especially as you can walk two minutes down the road to find good restaurants that are much cheaper.

Location
Situated in the South-East of (fairly) central Milan, you can stroll a few minutes through Navigli, which has some reasonable restaurants and is quite a nice area. You can also then take a cab to be somewhere like Brera in 10-15 minutes. For me, this location works quite well.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I love different hotels, quirky design and an attention to aesthetic beauty. Normally (maybe too generalist) but this comes with a cost in service. Not so with Nhow Milan. From the minute I arrived to the time I left the service was exemplary. I immediately got an upgrade without asking. I was treated with a great deal of attention and care as a single female traveling. The room was aesthetic pleasing and extremely functional. The bathroom was luxurious with sufficient space, accessories and appropriate furnishing to make it a pleasure to be in. The Bar, Restaurant (which itself was small but distinctive and appropriate for single or business travelers) exceeded my expectations. The food and wine were simply delicious. Breakfast too was a pleasure so much so that I wanted to hang around and imbibe the atmosphere, I cannot say enough about the hotel. If you are on business and you would like a break from the typical business faceless hotels try Nhow.

Room Tip: The hotel is close to a train line so if like me you are very sensitive to noise bring earplugs or c...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 January 2014

the hotel is really modern and the design is special. i had my room upgraded with an extra 15 euros each day, and it was really worthy. The room is large and the bathroom is great. The staff is nice and the breakfast is good.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo