“a lucky find”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centro Storico
Description: L'Hostaria Borromei, situata nel centro storico di Milano, racchiude al suo interno una storia di tradizione lombarda e amore per le proprie origini. Il locale era, infatti, una delle stalle dei Borromei, importante famiglia della nobilta milanese, tutt'ora presente nel territorio. Ancora oggi il ristorante conserva le strutture principali originali: le arcate interne ed esterne, le travi in legno, le finestre che danno sulla corte e il cortile stesso, sono rimasti gli stessi dal '400 senza essere stati intaccati se non con lavori di manutenzione e ristrutturazione. La cucina e classica italiana con richiami alla tradizione milanese e all'interno troverete una cantina con un'accurata selezione di vini. Il ristorante e a disposizione per l'organizzazione di eventi privati ed e in grado di soddisfare qualsiasi richiesta di menu. Infine se parcheggi la tua auto al Parking Borromeo a 100mt di distanza la prima ora la paghiamo noi
augusta, georgia
“a lucky find”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had stopped by early evening the night before, and they were full, so we tried again the next night, as we stayed close by. Glad we did. We asked for a wine recommendation and enjoyed a perfect local white, well chosen. After antipasto, I ordered sea bass, and my husband ordered pasta with sea food. His, he said was perfect. My sea bass was a filet covered in a dainty layer of fresh potato, and it was so very good! Yes, at first the staff was a little stiff, but they warmed up after a bit. We did sit next to two tables, families with young women, who chattered loudly about going to college..we could hear every word..I doubt they knew what they ate, but they weren't there long, and we enjoyed our dessert and Calvados. We got a sense these folks know their food and prepare it with great care.

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
“The best pasta I've ever had”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We did a tour of Belgium and Italy, and this was without a doubt the best restaurant meal we had. Very fresh pasta cooked just perfectly al dente, with sauces that were not overpowering. It was the very best pasta I and my co-worker have ever had. Truly incredible.

Liked it so much we stopped by a few days later for second dinner. The tiramisu is incredible as well; and I don't usually like that dish.

Put it on your Milan restaurant list; you won't go wrong.

Australia
“A lovely find in a quiet neighbourhood”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The restaurant is located in a small vine covered patio in a quiet part of the central Milan area, not far from the Duomo. Attentive service, reasonably priced meals and a good wine list meant we had a most enjoyable meal. For 2 people, antipasto 1 main course, 1 dessert (shared) plus wine, water and limoncello was around 90€, which by Milan standards is pretty good. Recommended

Visited June 2014
Michigan
“Save your money- bad service, bad food!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We got into Milan on a Monday when everything was closed. Our hotel recommended this restaurant which was close and was suppose to be good. At first, even though the restaurant was almost empty, the waiter seemed irritated that we didn't have a reservation. I ordered ravioli which came cold (and wasn't suppose to be a cold dish) and hard. I mean, we are Italian and like al-dene, but not this uncooked. The manager came over and used a fork to tell it was not cooked. He apologized and said it would be a few minutes to correct the food. We waited 35 minutes, had to call the waiter and ask where the meal was. THEY brought the same dish back out after they microwaved it! I refused it accept it. Now keep in mind, we had one order of pasta, water and one bottle of wine. Our tab was over $70 US. What a disaster. I left hungry and plenty angry. Food awful, service jus as bad and too expensive. Stay away from this place.

2 Thank TravelFamily122
Stewartsville, New Jersey
“Outstanding in every way”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

What a marvelous find! Everything about this restaurant was excellent -- the ambiance, food, and service were all fantastic. It is conveniently located very close to the duomo but it is very quaint and off on a side street. We saw the review in "DK Eyewitness Travel" book and thought it sounded promising. It absolutely delivered and then some. The owner of the restaurant was extremely gracious and attentive, as were his waitstaff. I saw in some other reviews that some folks had trouble with slow service. That was definitely not the case for us. The orders were taken quickly and the dishes came out only after a short wait. They provided us the complimentary welcome prosecco which was a nice refreshing start of the meal. We ordered the wrapped eggplant/tomato/mozzerella appetizer -- so flavorful! Also as starters, we got the pumpkin ravioli (recommended by our travel book) and risotto with leeks, asparagus, and speck (ham). Delicioso!! For meals, my husband and I got the osso buco/milanese risotto and beef dish with a wonderful mustard sauce. Both entrees were tremendously tasty. My husband liked his tiramisu for dessert, and I had the warm chocolate cake (with hot liquidy center) and ice cream. It was absolutely perfect. The ambiance was warm and friendly. Highly highly recommend this restaurant!!

1 Thank Johnette