“The best vegan I have ever been to ”
Review of Joia

Joia
Reserve with
Joia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #256 of 9,344 Restaurants in Milan
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Zone 2
Reviewed 30 January 2017 via mobile

Remarkable service, lovely atmosphere and very good food. All the dishes we tried were absolutely delicious and extremely well presented. It fully met my expectations. We will repeat for sure and we will recommend it to all our friends. Complimenti Joia team!

Date of visit: January 2017
1  Thank Carla M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,797)

Reviewed 27 December 2016

We eat a lot of vegetables usually so were intrigued at the idea of a starred vegetarian restaurant. The online menu had lots of dishes with fun names so we booked two months before and received a confirmation by email, and were really looking forward to it. Imagine our disappointment when we arrived and they had no record of our booking.
However, they fitted us in and we chose the 90-euro 'Discovery' menu. The first amuse-bouche was just silly: several single vegetable leaves with a variety of dips. The second was fine. Then came an intriguing bean and chickpea dish and a soup that was splendid. Thereafter things went downhill. The citrus sauce with the risotto was too tart, while the next dish also featured rice, this time the black variety, with an undercooked turnip perched on top. I left most of these two dishes. My apple dessert was OK, but the chocolate selection that my husband chose was far too heavy and rich, with just a minute ice-cream to cut against the richness. All in all, we missed the fibre that you get when vegetables are less processed and found that the mixtures of tastes were rather strange.
To cap it all, this was one of those annoying places that won't let you serve your own wine and water but insist on the staff topping you up almost as soon as you put the glass down - as well as asking us twice if we wanted a second bottle when waiting to order our dessert.
Not a smile all evening from any of the wait staff, for us or for each other. They seemed much more concerned to keep the flow of plates to and from the kitchen, which was impressively efficient.
All in all, a singularly joyless experience. We were glad to escape after two-and-a-half hours. Both of us had indigestion in the night.

Date of visit: December 2016
2  Thank Walking_Scot
Reviewed 23 December 2016

What a nonsense this was . Over priced , over rated , trying too hard and took me back to the 1980's where nouveau cuisine was the trend .My wife is vegetarian and so therefore we are used to eating in starred restaurants on the veggie menu .... However here .... The food was very good , nothing bad , but full of pretence but nothing extraordinary . My son ordered a desert that came with an egg timer so he could muster the time while eating a plate of sweets. My daughter had a insence stick burning to endure her senses in anticipation of what was to come... But all the guests , regardless of their choice of deserts has the fumes of this pretentious gesture . I
This place reeks of this is how we do it and you don't get the vibe. Well Chef this vibe left us last century . When I dropped my napkin and the waiter shuffled over to pick it up with chop sticks we realised it was amateur theatre. We will not return anytime time soon.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed 20 December 2016

I fully agree with Difian who posted her review with profound disappointment 2 weeks ago.
Creative and tasty vegitable-based dishes, but that's all. All the other important elements, quality of service/staff members, atmosphere, decorations(Cheap and nonsence), much care also for desserts, etc...don't justify 150eur/head at all.
Compaired to the other 1-star restaurants in Italy and France, etc... I experienced, I don't know why this restautrant is always being granted a Michelin 1-star until now.
(+) The vegitable dishes including the amuse-bouche (=Assortment of raw vegitable sticks with different dips) are creative and tasty.
(-) Most of the staff seemed to be job-students or trainees. Non-experienced / non-professional / poker‐faced (Probably only the owner chef is competent.). They should be re-educated or replaced.
- It seems that the sommelier served to our neighbor table impure-colored "Bouchonné(=Corky, Rotten)" wine without checking it beforehand.
- To make the matter worse, another cameriere served this "Bouchonné" wine to us by error. :< They and our group were very embarassed. Immediately after this, the cameriere realised himself that he made a mitake and reported it to the Sommelier. Even some minutes later, no one came to us / our neighbors telling that they made a mistake, until the moment that we complained it to the Sommelier. Finally none of them come to us expressing a small word of excuse. This is my very 1st time, never experienced.
- Most of the camerieres don't know the basics, i.e. How polite to receive guests, jackets, how to put folks, knives,glasses, etc... on the table in a general manner. I guess that the guests coming to this restaurant don't expect a less-than-pizzeria-quality servce.
- The last 3 desserts are incredibly poor compaired to the previous tasty vegitable dishes. I.e. : Too much sweetened citrus fruits assortment, Industial-tasted choco mousse and tarte, ununderstandable coconuts-flavoued ball.
- Overall, every single dishes is too voluminous to finish a menu in a confortable condition. It was just like one menu containts 8 different starters......
- 150eur/head is overpriced considering the poor desserts / unpleasant services, etc....

I hope that the owner will improve the above weak points in future, not to dirt the reputation of Michelin guide.

Date of visit: October 2016
4  Thank man i
Reviewed 1 December 2016

We ate here last weekend, on a 50th surprise birthday trip for my sister.... we are not vegetarians, but wanted somewhere we would all enjoy, without the threat of a meal being spoilt by 'undercooked meat' on such a special occasion..... we chose the 8 course meal 90 euros each, - each course had a name, but it didn't tell you what exactly it was, so it was all a rather delightful waiting game... 2 'extra' little appetiser courses before the real thing began! Beautifully presented, small portions, yes, but by the end of the 8 courses, we could take no more - especially after the richest chocolate mousse I have ever tasted!!! Staff were amazing, very professional, and the chef himself kept popping out to check up on everything...... yes, expensive, but well worth it for a very special treat!

Date of visit: November 2016

Been to Joia? Share your experiences!