Hotel Genius Downtown
The Yard Hotel(Milan)
US$293
US$236
  • Breakfast included
Radisson Blu Hotel, Milan(Milan)(Great Value!)
US$135
Chateau Monfort(Milan)
US$243
US$225
  • Pool
WORLDHOTEL Cristoforo Colombo(Milan)(Great Value!)
US$224
US$125
US$107
US$87
US$163
US$116
  • Restaurant
All reviewsvia dantegreat locationquiet side streetcastello sforzescocadorna train stationwalking distancesmall hotelminute walk from the duomomain shoppingbreakfast was includedlast supperclean roomscroissantsbreakfast roomcity centrevisiting milanwifi
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Hotel with excellent location close to the main attractions of Milan very friendly, family environment, highlight the courtesy with which I was treated by all staff of the Hotel, always showing the greatest sympathy and attention to me and all the customers.

I recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Milan

Thank you all for making my stay in Milan wonderful.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PortugalMaria
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Visiting family at least 3 times a year in Verona my daughter and I thought we would see what Milan was like. The Hotel Genius was in a perfect location was clean but I think slightly over priced WiFi was an extra cost and was not that good this should of been included in the price. Don't expect a view from a window but I don't travel to sit looking out of a window so that's not a problem for me. Breakfast was a continental style and sufficient.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Marglovestravelling
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We stayed for 7 nights total at this perfectly located hotel. In terms of location and convenience to everything in Milan, we felt this hotel could not be better. We found our room to be very clean and it had everything we needed. The staff was kind and helpful to us. In fact, we had to stay over an extra day due to airline issues and they were very helpful with that issue. We did not find the noise to be a problem. We were pleasantly surprised to find the “double” bed was at least what we would call a Queen size in America and plenty big enough for us. The mattress is very firm and so if you do not like a firm mattress, you may not like that. The cold breakfast included a fair amount of variety with some healthy choices like granola cereal with yogurt and fruit, multigrain rolls and hard boiled eggs and we were very pleased. Most importantly, we came to Milan to see the sites and we could take the metro to anywhere and it was literally within a block of the hotel. Honestly, we walked almost everywhere as many things were in a 5-20 minute walking distance from the hotel. The Cordona train station was a few blocks away as well, so we came & went to the airport (MXP) for a reasonable cost and took a day trip to Lake Como as well from that station. If you are really particular about the room temperature and having a cool room, you probably need a hotel that you can always put the air conditioning on and this might not be the hotel for you. If you want location, you can't beat this hotel. Get prices from any web site and then go on the hotel website and contact them directly as they will match and beat the prices and you get perks when you book with the hotel directly.

Room Tip: Book directly with the hotel.
2  Thank JeffnJulie
Reviewed 21 March 2013

The hotel Genius was chosen for a recent trip more because of availability than for what it offered. That said it does have a number of things to recommend it. As has been stated by others the hotel is very close to the Cairoli metro [less than a 2 minute stroll] and as such you are on the network for other areas within Milan with ease of that is your mode of transport. In contrast to what I have read here I found the reception staff to be friendly and very helpful and I dealt with 4 of them in total. They made a recommendation for a restaurant just off Via Dante and it was really excellent, so top marks there. We requested a taxi and were assisted with pleasure. The hotel was very clean and the rooms were cleaned daily as you would expect. the bathroom was well appointed and functional. So far so good.

On the negative side, the Hotel Genius does have some issues that may well be deal breakers for prospective guests. Some of the rooms are small, and I mean very small. My room had only one small dining chair to sit on and as such there was no real possibility of using my room to relax unless I lay on the bed. My writing 'table' was a triangular piece of wood [nicely designed I admit] protruding from the wall, designed this way I guess because of lack of space. By contrast however a colleague had a much bigger room and this was very pleasant - just be sure you request a large room if you stay. The Hotel is located on a quiet side street so there are no views. My room looked into a grotty inner courtyard. The walls are incredibly thin and I could hear people coughing and talking with ease, in fact I was woken by a neighbours mobile phone vibration alarm on two mornings! To be fair during my trip that was the only noise I heard and it was not too intrusive, but that may not always be so especially if a noisy party were resident.

Like many Italian hotels the Genius does not have a restaurant, only a Breakfast Room. Breakfast is probably best described as being adequate but not spectacular. The range includes salami and ham, boiled eggs, bread rolls, compotes, jams, butter, yoghurt, a cheese, a selection of breakfast cereals and what appear to be freshly baked croissants. In addition they serve fresh Lavazza coffee made at your request. This sounds a lot of choice but in truth I found it not to be so and in the end it was cereal, bread and coffee for me. The fruit juices on offer are bad imitations of the real thing and they should be replaced immediately. You will start the day fed, but it could be better was my view - others may well be very happy.

WiFi Internet is available for 9 Euro per stay. I must confess in 2013 I find paying for hotel WiFi just unacceptable - do the maths: 9 Euro per room multiplied by X rooms in the hotel multiplied by Y 'stays' per year - it is a cash cow, but disgracefully so I feel. If you are in the back of the hotel then forget about any streaming internet, you will get less than 1 Meg. This brings me to my last point - price. The cost of the hotel for my stay was over 400 Euro [plus Internet plus Milan tourist tax] for 3 nights. For what I got I thought it was more than enough to pay. I have no experience of other hotels in Milan and by contrast it may well have been a great bargain however. 140 Euro per night for a shoebox sized room and a modest breakfast was not really what I thought of s being value.

One last comment - the hotel TV turns on to a choice of USB or TV channels. I accidentally pressed the USB button one morning and found that a previous guest had downloaded some very 'adult' material. The hotel should check their TVs when each guest leaves as a child could easily receive a great shock where they to make the mistake I did.

All in all not bad but not great. Would I stay there again - yes, but probably only if other hotels were full.

2  Thank JTP1963
viaggiatore_nonstop, Manager at Hotel Genius Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2013

Dear Mr. ArmaghMan,
thank you for the time you spent reviewing our properties. I must say, from thousands of review i've handled in the last years through the several hotel I passed through, this one is by far the most concrete, objective, focused and best written review. I am impressed. I read it three times and passed it over to some of my peers to share it. You make a point and then you evalutate this point under a few different prospectives. This is the reason I will not reply to you comments.

My major concern is the issue with the TV. I was allarmed at the beggining, only later realized that our tv set do not have internal memory where anybody could save files or pictures. Maintaince went through all tv's and we found in your single room, a USB memory stick that was forgotten by a customer.

Internet: you made some simple math, but I hope this will not convince you to start a new hotel. We provide wirelless coverage throughout the hotel with roaming capabilities (you can move from the room to the lobby without loosing connection). Italian anti-terrorism act obliges that all public spaces internet connections are tracked and logged. And this part costs money. because only authorised third party companies can handle this issue.

There is something else that pops in my mind. During high seasons or major events, where room rate tend to grow more than usual, we receive many reservation from companies that usually stay in four star hotels. For budget reasons, when these get expensive, this busineess travellers, which would never stay in a three star rated hotel find themselves staying in this kind of limited-service hotel. As expected many of them notice the difference. Hope to see you soon
regards
marco ferreira
Manager

Reviewed 18 March 2013

The location is very good, close to a Metro station in the heart of Milan. I had a Single room for 125 E incl a simple breakfast which I found overpriced for the tiny room. To make the room larger the walls were made very thin so I could hear all the telephone conversations of my neighbour and other sounds his body produced. The bed was quite old and not so comfortable, the bath room was small and basic. Wifi costs 9 E for the whole stay.

2  Thank reparepa