“Lovely room decor. Terrible view”

Hotel Genius Downtown
Ranked #114 of 431 Hotels in Milan
Sydney, Australia
“Lovely room decor. Terrible view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

Hotel was in a good location close to the metro station. Easy to find and get to. Hotel room has lovely decor and was very comfortable. Mine had a terrible view of the inner fire stairs. And even though I requested for a different room the staff member gave me this same type of room only 2 floors above and that had a mild dew odour as soon as I walked in so I ended up staying in the first room I was given. All in all it was ok. Breakfast was adequate. Night staff member was very helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Chris M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

I just got back from staying here last Friday. I must say the room & bathroom was very clean and that's truly a plus point for me.

The hotel is very close to Cairoli metro station and that makes it really convenient for us getting there by Train from Centrale Milan. The Hotel even sent me a map with instruction on how to get there, eventhough it is already on their website.

The Hotel is also very close to the Castello and everything else is within walking distance to us.

There was a slight misunderstanding in my total bill for the stay but this was quickly resolved within 10 mins and a return in cash for the overpayment on my credit card - no argument at all.

The only downside to this place is that there is no free wifi. Wifi is available for EUR9.

Room Tip: I got the room 244. It is very spacious however, they keep the air con controller. Ask from them at...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sweetdreamerj
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

1. No robe/No slipper/No AC remote in the room
2. No place to put your shampoo, tooth paste or other amenities in bathroom
3. Extremely small shower area compare to the available space.
4. Only 1 trash can in the entire room
5. Water pressure extremely low from the shower head and water drained ever slowly to the point that you find yourself standing on a pool of water when taking a shower.
6. There is no service available after 10pm. If anything breaks or you find yourself with NO internet connection, you are out of luck. We were told to wait till the morning while they charge you
7. Internet connection cost $9 Euro. There is NO Wifi connection inside the room. You have to be outside the room and by the elevator to get connection. This is OUTSIDE OF YOUR ROOM.
8. I called front desk for help. First no one picked up and when I finally got in touch with the night supervisor, he hung up on me; 2x.
9. I decided to downstairs for help only to find myself talking to a dark skin, short hair supervisor who barely speak any English. When I insist on him to call for help so that I can get internet connection, he refused. After a few back and forth, we got into an argument and he threatens to call the police. He went further to call me a trouble maker. I asked for his name but he refused to give me. That night I was without internet connection and no effort in any way to help me get access from this night supervisor. He ignored my request completely.
10. In the morning, I was woken up by people upstairs, pacing back and forth with high heels on. I called front desk but they argue with me that no one lives upstairs. It turn out it is the cleaning lady who is wearing the high heels. I had to record the sound to prove to them that I was not crazy.
11. This is not a full service hotel in my opinion. It is high-end bed and breakfast that overcharges their client. I paid $160 euro/night which is rather expensive consider the lack of service they give you.

The worst thing about this hotel is that the front desk people argue with you, refuting your claim when you call them. They speak almost no English except in the day when the top tier managers are present. This is ONLY IN THE DAY. At night and if you need help, you are out of luck for no one will be around to help you.

Room Tip: I would only use this hotel as last resort.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank munkchang
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

The hotel is located in the central area with walking distance to many attractions. The staff is nice and helpful. Room 326 (single) had a blocked drain in the shower, room 327 (dobble) has missing ventilation in the bathroom. If the window stays open, mosquitos are taking full control. Wi-Fi could have been free, not only the iPad located in the reception area.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

We were looking for a comfortable, convenient and value for money option in Milan. Hotel Genius Downtown met all criteria. Located near Metro and direct link to Airport via Cardona Station. Walking distance to Duomo, restaurants close by.

Room was comfortable and bathroom well fitted out. We didn't realise our window was open ( on tilt) and got a bit of street noise, ( did not hear any other guests).

Breakfast was plentiful and front of house staff helpful.

We only stayed a night so Wifi not an issue for us.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rulip
Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Hotel with excellent location close to the main attractions of Milan very friendly, family environment, highlight the courtesy with which I was treated by all staff of the Hotel, always showing the greatest sympathy and attention to me and all the customers.

I recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Milan

Thank you all for making my stay in Milan wonderful.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PortugalMaria
Enfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

Visiting family at least 3 times a year in Verona my daughter and I thought we would see what Milan was like. The Hotel Genius was in a perfect location was clean but I think slightly over priced WiFi was an extra cost and was not that good this should of been included in the price. Don't expect a view from a window but I don't travel to sit looking out of a window so that's not a problem for me. Breakfast was a continental style and sufficient.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family